Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Off with its head(s)  (Read 4154 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Off with its head(s)
« on: 29 December 2013, 20:16:41 »

I've suspected for sometime that I've a faulty headgasket, together with a blowing exhaust manifold and at least one noisy lifter, so have been acquiring the bits to do the job. I'm still expecting the headbolts and 3.2 manifolds, but thought I'd make a start today.

As usual with this sort of job, I reckon I could probably knock a quarter of the time taken if I had to do it again, but the heads are now in the boot of the car, ready for cleaning up tomorrow. Some if it is annoyingly fiddly, like the coolant pipe. Surprisingly, all of the exhaust manifold studs and nuts undid easily.

It turns out that the driver's side headgasket was barely holding at the back, and both exhaust manifolds were blowing. I still need to sort out the lifter, but I've had enough for one day, especially as I'm suffering from a chest infection at the moment.  It's now time for a hot bath and a stiff drink.

chrisgixer

Re: Off with its head(s)
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2013, 20:23:22 »

Worth a pic or two? :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2013, 20:54:23 »

I'm a lousy photographer, and the pics I took don't really show much.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2014, 11:14:28 »

Been feeling really lousy the last few days, so have been taking it easy.

However, I have managed to strip the heads, clean them, polish the valves(bunged them in the lathe, and cleaned them up with some old no-longer sticky DA discs), lap the seats, replace the stem seals and reassemble everything.

I've also serviced the cam lifters, and hopefully identified the noisy one. That was very stiff to compress, had no oil in it, and barely returns. Fortunately, the place I got the £12.80 head set from also had new lifters at £4 each, so I bought the last 4 they had.

With all that done, I raided my stash of useful bits to replace the manifold studs. And that's where things went tits-up, as the damn things are imperial. So, I got in the Focus and went to buy some new ones. 4 motorfactors later, 3 of which claimed to have never been asked for them before and one which insisted the 10 imperial ones he found 'would work perfectly', I ended up at the local Vauxhall dealer. Who can get them, but not before Monday ??? Which meant a trip to Versatile Fasteners in Gravesend, who had them in stock, offered new copper stiff-nuts without my having to ask for them, and supplied new downpipe nuts. As I was paying cash, and didn't need a receipt, that lot cost me £5.

I'm still waiting on the 3.2 exhaust manifolds and gaskets, which is holding up reassembly.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2014, 11:34:57 »

Great result on the studs/nuts Nick...when I replaced o/s manifold gasket last year I got new studs/copper nuts from VX in Dartford and seem to remember them being alot more than £5=00..figure of £25-£30 seems to register for the 7 studs/nuts but being VX you must by a bag of 10. >:(

Larger copper helicoil nuts for downpipes were around £2=00 each  >:( so you got a bargain,so fairplay and just result for your perserverance :y.

Glad to hear you have identified the noisy lifter so expect it all to be up and running shortly and sounding and going like new.

Hope you feel better soon ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2014, 11:55:21 »

If you know which the noisey lifter is then its worth stripping it down to its component parts, cleaning it and re-assembling.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2014, 13:33:24 »

If you know which the noisey lifter is then its worth stripping it down to its component parts, cleaning it and re-assembling.

I'll probably do that out of curiosity, but will replace it as I already have 4 new ones. How do they come apart?

As for the studs, I didn't expect them to be an issue. I always replace them, and have never had a problem buying them before. They're certainly not something I'd normally consider buying from a dealer;  Andrew's quoted prices are the reason. Versatile have always had what I've needed, small(or industrial - their normal market) quantities are never a problem, and cash always gets a good price. They are a traditional small firm, no computerised 'expert' stock control, just a bloke behind a counter who IS an expert.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2014, 14:50:58 »

I'll probably do that out of curiosity, but will replace it as I already have 4 new ones. How do they come apart?

Place the follower on a block of wood and put some more on its top surface. Hit the wood hard and the centre plunger will slowly pop out. its this centre plunger which is the actual adjusting part of the follower.

From there you can strip the internal bits of the plunger easily apart including the ball bearing and its retaining spring for cleaning. Its this ball bearing and associated seat where you find the oil varnish build up which causes them to drain down (the bearing acting as the one way valve).

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2014, 16:25:49 »

Good luck with it Nick. my fanny-mould nuts andstuds also came out with no drama at all  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2014, 21:25:05 »

I bought manifold studs and new copper nuts to ensure I had all parts needed when I did the o/s manifold gasket as was wary about studs breaking and would not want to be using the old nuts.

In truth all the old studs were fine and nothing broke but for the sake of thorughness I replace each of the 7 existing studs with new along with copper nuts.

Downpipe nuts were badly chewed up when removed so for the sake of the extra few £,s I was glad I had new to hand.
You live,n,learn and I would on happily paid less for the parts ,but just glad I had all new to hand when I did the job

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2014, 18:47:15 »

The exhaust manifolds have finally arrived, after I received the gaskets this morning.
Hopefully the weather will hold off tomorrow, so I can trim the downpipes and start reassembling everything. I'd like to have it back together for the club Christmas/my sister's birthday dinner tomorrow night, but the 5 of us are more likely to be squeezing into the Focus.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2014, 19:59:30 »

The exhaust manifolds have finally arrived, after I received the gaskets this morning.
Hopefully the weather will hold off tomorrow, so I can trim the downpipes and start reassembling everything. I'd like to have it back together for the club Christmas/my sister's birthday dinner tomorrow night, but the 5 of us are more likely to be squeezing into the Focus.

Pm'd  :-[
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2014, 20:01:38 »

If fitting 3.0L downpipes, use two gaskets,and a nice smear of paste,betwik each.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2014, 19:13:46 »

In between dodging heavy rain and my nasty cough, I've got the heads back on, cams fitted and most of the fiddly stuff at the back of the engine connected.
I might get it running tomorrow, which would be good!

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2014, 19:41:37 »

Your a brave man working in this weather mate. :y

I have been threatening to replace the thermostat on the 3.2 since before Christmas. ;D

The first day I had free and ear marked to do it after Christmas is was wetter than a wet thing :o and next free day is next Monday but looking at the weather forecast its monsoon season still,so as I would sooner be cold than wet it can wait. >:(

Well done to you though  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.