Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre Pressure monitors (TPMS)  (Read 4154 times)

sjr47

Tyre Pressure monitors (TPMS)
« on: 03 March 2014, 19:34:55 »

Anyone got a set of these fitted looking at purchasing a set for car & caravan note there are 2 types those that replace valve caps and a in the wheel type not sure which type to go for or the signal range when fitted to van. :-\ :-\

cem_devecioglu

Re: Tyre Pressure monitors (TPMS)
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2014, 19:47:08 »

they are expensive and can easily break down..

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2014, 19:52:59 »

Stop the press :o

Cem is correct... no substitute for regular checking with a known gauge :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2014, 20:01:04 »

Considered them, but haven't dived in due to cost, breakages during tyre changes, and issues programming after tyre changes.

Having had a sudden tyre deflation, I see a need for something, but cost and reliability put me off tbh.

But at a steady 50 though, necessary? Really?

sjr47

« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2014, 20:12:26 »

looked into cost so expensive or not isnt a issue they also monitor tyre temperature so really want them to be for warned for peace of mind when towing long distance down to South West or France .Going down to Vendee last year checked tyres at Dunkirk off ferry within 200K (approx 2hrs driving)o/side van tyre had gone down from 50psi to 35psi( knackered valve) if monitors were fitted sure the would have indicated this and I am sure none of us check out tyres every 2 hrs.

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2014, 20:18:46 »

True. If there was a reliable answer....

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2014, 20:21:38 »

looked into cost so expensive or not isnt a issue they also monitor tyre temperature so really want them to be for warned for peace of mind when towing long distance down to South West or France .Going down to Vendee last year checked tyres at Dunkirk off ferry within 200K (approx 2hrs driving)o/side van tyre had gone down from 50psi to 35psi( knackered valve) if monitors were fitted sure the would have indicated this and I am sure none of us check out tyres every 2 hrs.
If your towing or driving summat big, you should be doing a walkround every time you stop ::)

15psi would show on a loaded tyre, especially a caravan sized one :-\

sjr47

« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2014, 20:27:35 »

Agreed with above thats when the issue became apparent, realy looking for feedback from someone with history of using these not some general opinion a trailer blow out even at 50mph can cause mayhem.http://www.tp2-towing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/caravan_crash1.jpg and stragely enough losing 15psi gave no feedback through steering on French autoroute!!
« Last Edit: 03 March 2014, 20:30:58 by sjr47 »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2014, 20:30:59 »

If your towing or driving summat big, you should be doing a walkround every time you stop ::)

Agreed, but when doing 2 hour stints it is not possible to continually check.

The ONLY 'van tyre problem I've ever had (touches wood) actually occured on leaving a motorway service area. During the stop the tyres and the wheel bolt torques were both checked as this was the first long run after a service, so I know that all was good. Onto the motorway and 5 miles down the road we come to a halt in traffic, due to an incident ahead. Some stop/start crawling for 10 minutes then a complete halt as the motorway was closed for the air ambulance. Engines were switched off and folks got out to stretch legs. At which point it was noticed that one tyre on the van was pretty soft, and going down. One wheel change later and the nail in the tyre was obvious.

If we had not been stopped for the incident it could have been a very serious problem at 60 mph .... a TPMS "might" have warned me in time ... who knows ??

I have often thought about TPMS since then, but the lack of reliability has put me off. I certainly believe that a reliable, easy to use TPMS would be a major safety addition... but the numerous web reports about failures is not prompting me to purchase at the moment .. :(

sjr47

« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2014, 20:43:29 »

Agreed, but when doing 2 hour stints it is not possible to continually check.

The ONLY 'van tyre problem I've ever had (touches wood) actually occured on leaving a motorway service area. During the stop the tyres and the wheel bolt torques were both checked as this was the first long run after a service, so I know that all was good. Onto the motorway and 5 miles down the road we come to a halt in traffic, due to an incident ahead. Some stop/start crawling for 10 minutes then a complete halt as the motorway was closed for the air ambulance. Engines were switched off and folks got out to stretch legs. At which point it was noticed that one tyre on the van was pretty soft, and going down. One wheel change later and the nail in the tyre was obvious.

If we had not been stopped for the incident it could have been a very serious problem at 60 mph .... a TPMS "might" have warned me in time ... who knows ??

I have often thought about TPMS since then, but the lack of reliability has put me off. I certainly believe that a reliable, easy to use TPMS would be a major safety addition... but the numerous web reports about failures is not prompting me to purchase at the moment .. :(
Yea thats what scares the crap out of you,you were lucky but seen a accident on M5 couple of years ago in which the van ended up as a flatbed trailer spewing debris far and wide
« Last Edit: 03 March 2014, 20:45:07 by sjr47 »

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2014, 20:56:17 »

Run flats any use :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2014, 20:58:55 »

Ok, so you have tpms and your doing 50 with a pikey palace. The tyre blows out. Instant flat. How does tpms help?

A slower deflation then yes. See, I think there is more credit being applied to tpms than is reasonable.

I'd use it as a day to day check for performance reasons. I'd be intrigued to see the pressure differences over a cold morning start followed by a run down the motorway at 5am. That sort of thing, if its accurate enough of course.

But the Holy grail against all eventualities...? Nah, don't think so. In conjunction with run flats maybe, but that's mega bucks and brings in other nuisances like ride quality and cracked rims and.... Tram lining. ::)

Edit, Al beat me to it. ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2014, 21:09:31 »

Stop the press :o

Cem is correct... no substitute for regular checking with a known gauge :y

as usual :) ;D

sjr47

« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2014, 21:13:25 »

Run flats any use :-\
yes you can fit Tyron bands to keep the deflated tyre on the rim but most places near my local dont have the facilities to change tyres with these fitted but seeing as my tyres will require changing due to age  later in year may be a option then

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2014, 21:14:25 »

What size are the tyres :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.