Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Original battery or replacement battery?  (Read 4123 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Original battery or replacement battery?
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2015, 09:54:28 »

We wouldn't have these problems if Duracell made car batteries. ;D
Except, if they are anything like their disposable ones, they'd leak everywhere  >:(
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2015, 10:43:05 »

It's happened again. A post comes up on a subject just as I'm thinking of it. Oof is telepathic at times :y

If Dr doesn't mind, can I ask, what sets the criteria for battery type? Amp hours and all the other numbers printed on the top..?

Mine has a 70 ah fitted. Will that cover all eventualities like short journeys and long stay car parks at the airport etc?

Is there better available? Within the dimensions of that battery box of course as a bigger one won't fit.

Nobody?

Not just me then. ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 June 2015, 11:14:54 »

It's happened again. A post comes up on a subject just as I'm thinking of it. Oof is telepathic at times :y

If Dr doesn't mind, can I ask, what sets the criteria for battery type? Amp hours and all the other numbers printed on the top..?

Mine has a 70 ah fitted. Will that cover all eventualities like short journeys and long stay car parks at the airport etc?

Is there better available? Within the dimensions of that battery box of course as a bigger one won't fit.

Nobody?

Not just me then. ;D

Depends how long a holiday... As you well know, mine was flat ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 June 2015, 11:25:05 »

Nobody?

Not just me then. ;D

No ill effects I hope? It was run up for half an hour regularly.

But no car battery will cope with 6 weeks without a charge. Surely?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 June 2015, 11:31:00 »

Nobody?

Not just me then. ;D

No ill effects I hope? It was run up for half an hour regularly.

But no car battery will cope with 6 weeks without a charge. Surely?

Been fine  :y

I would be surprised if any battery survived with the drain of an alarm etc... The Panda, however, was fine!!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

The Sheriff

« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2015, 11:39:25 »

Mine hasn't got an alarm.  ;D

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2015, 12:23:39 »

These two pictures cracked me up  ;D

you need to get out more!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2015, 14:09:28 »

"Better" needs more clarification. Capacity is only part of the story. Include in what sort of cranking power you need, likely temperatures, how much internal discharge, as well as external discharge, you can tolerate, and so on.

Car batteries, like many other battery technologies, do not like being left in a partially discharged state. So if you regularly go away for 2 weeks, expect a short life from it. A car that gets a decent run every few days will likely keep the battery lasting longer, assuming everything else is tip-top.

Obviously, if car is left for long periods, it may be prudent to disconnect it to reduce discharge.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 June 2015, 15:23:16 »

"Better" needs more clarification. Capacity is only part of the story. Include in what sort of cranking power you need, likely temperatures, how much internal discharge, as well as external discharge, you can tolerate, and so on.

Car batteries, like many other battery technologies, do not like being left in a partially discharged state. So if you regularly go away for 2 weeks, expect a short life from it. A car that gets a decent run every few days will likely keep the battery lasting longer, assuming everything else is tip-top.

Obviously, if car is left for long periods, it may be prudent to disconnect it to reduce discharge.

Better ? .... More amp hours? Can you have too many? Can you have too little? GM tc supply 70ah as fitted to mine. Can this be Improved on by simpy fitting a higher ah battery?

I have no idea what amp hours do, along with the othe r 4 numbers printed on the top. It's just what GM say is suitable for my car. I dunno. Is it suitable because that's what they happen to have to sell me? Or is that the exact spec the car needs? If so why? If not what SHOULD be fitted!

Mine says;
GM
12 01 212 (presume a part number? )
12v
70ah
255 coca din
510 eca en

It cost about £45 on tc. There is a Bosch 72 ah, is same size 275 mm long, but is almost twice the price. If I did slot of short journeys would this battery help? For example...?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 June 2015, 18:38:21 »

Chris, as with most things in Engineering, mechanical and electrical, you could spend a lifetime studying batteries.
In brief, there are two major parameters of interest to motorists where car batteries are concerned, CCA (Cold ranking Amperage) and Capacity. The former (http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_cca_cold_cranking_amp) determines how well suited the battery is for starting the car and the higher the CCA figure, the better it is at turning over the engine, especially diesel.
The latter, Capacity (http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_capacity), measured in Ampere-hours, indicates how long a battery will supply current for into a given load. The unit is a product of load (amps) and time (hours).
My battery is rated at 560A CCA and 60A-h Capacity. The CCA figure is more than adequate to start my 2.6 petrol and the Capacity figure would be fine if it were true! However, my own tests (discharging into a 12 amp load) shwed that it lowered its terminal voltage to 7 volts after just over 1 hour, giving a true figure for an aging battery of approx, 15 A-h.
In this case, given that the Omega has a quiescent current drain of 85mA (0.085A), it would be discharged in 15/0.085 hours, i.e. 176 hours or 7.35 days. I consider this to be inadequate and will be looking to replace it.....

Ron

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 June 2015, 19:02:58 »

Thanks Ron.

So basickly 2ah and a few minor increases on the other figures won't make any odds on a 3.2 petrol omega? Or not enough to warrant almost double the price anyway. Given a 3 year warranty.

Would that be fair to say?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 June 2015, 19:14:02 »

These two pictures cracked me up  ;D

you need to get out more!

Been out today feel much better thanks for the advice, These bunnies aren't so amusing today ::)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 21 June 2015, 19:16:23 »

Mine is the original ..... 7 years old approx....but then it had a decent run on Friday....450 miles  :o  ;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 June 2015, 19:21:34 »

Bought a Bosch S5 (74Ah) around January from CP4L sure it was around £80 delivered been fine so far, Left the car untouched awhile ago while doing work on it for around 2 weeks apart from opening/closing doors/windows occasionally and it still started swiftly with no indication it was running low  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #29 on: 21 June 2015, 19:23:24 »

We wouldn't have these problems if Duracell made car batteries. ;D
Except, if they are anything like their disposable ones, they'd leak everywhere  >:(

I buy the procell or industrial ones from ebay ( I think the industrial ones are replacing the procell)
Never have a problem with them.....and cheap as chips.
I used to buy rechargeable batts.....but at the price you can get the above mentioned duracells I don't bother anymore  :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.