Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dont waste your money-tire tests-heavy pics  (Read 4115 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: dont waste your money-tire tests-heavy pics
« Reply #30 on: 28 February 2011, 19:15:40 »

Er, nope. 

The results in that table are derived from data collated using personal views

as you mention later there is quantitative data..
which is the only important part

It's gathered from a range of people who give their subjective view of the performance of a tyre they have allegedly used,

alongide some quantitative data on location and vehicle which has obvious bearing on the data they publish.  The scores are collated and then averaged out.  Too much apples v oranges going on for the data to be definitive and meaningful.

disagreed..before I shared many tire test threads which has parallel test results with that one.. from a tire test the only part important is measured values..
like dry grip, wet grip, dry , wet braking etc.. handling and comfort are personal which I never give any importance..

At best it's a bit of a guide, but I'd disagree with some of the placings.

;D  probably your investments are in the wrong place ;D :y

bluey

• Intermediate Member
  • West Mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 February 2011, 19:42:36 »

Cem, firstly there is a stupid typo on my post which is my fault.  I meant to say the quantitative data has no obvious bearing on the data they publish. For example, what weighting do they give - if any - for results given by people who live in areas where road surfaces are poorly maintained.  Admittedly this is just about everywhere in the UK, but there are some better bits of road than others out there.  I found a 200 yard bit of the M5 last week that was quite nice. ;D

The data being requested is only at best vaguely related to the scores.  For example, the survey asks a question about driving style, with three options.  In reality this is not credible - no-one drives 'sportily' 100% of the time!  In addition the survey does not ask about maintenance and care of the vehicle and the tyres, which would have a major bearing on their performance.  The most expensive bits of rubber in the world won't be much good if the pressures are all at sea and the tracking is a mile out, both of which will be a regular issue. 

Just like ISPs, mobile phones, laptops, couriers, anti-virus vendors and loads of other stuff, people can have heavily polarised views on a brand of tyre.  There are so many holes in that survey it simply is not a definitive guide, and the rating system is no more than a personal opinion gauge. 

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #32 on: 28 February 2011, 20:12:54 »

Cem, firstly there is a stupid typo on my post which is my fault.  I meant to say the quantitative data has no obvious bearing on the data they publish. For example, what weighting do they give - if any - for results given by people who live in areas where road surfaces are poorly maintained.  Admittedly this is just about everywhere in the UK, but there are some better bits of road than others out there.  I found a 200 yard bit of the M5 last week that was quite nice. ;D

The data being requested is only at best vaguely related to the scores.  For example, the survey asks a question about driving style, with three options.  In reality this is not credible - no-one drives 'sportily' 100% of the time!  In addition the survey does not ask about maintenance and care of the vehicle and the tyres, which would have a major bearing on their performance.  The most expensive bits of rubber in the world won't be much good if the pressures are all at sea and the tracking is a mile out, both of which will be a regular issue. 

Just like ISPs, mobile phones, laptops, couriers, anti-virus vendors and loads of other stuff, people can have heavily polarised views on a brand of tyre.  There are so many holes in that survey it simply is not a definitive guide, and the rating system is no more than a personal opinion gauge. 

if a test that you call "vague" have very similiar results with that one and some others, I take it serious..You may object for your reasons but this doesnt make it unworthy..

« Last Edit: 28 February 2011, 20:14:21 by cem_devecioglu »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #33 on: 28 February 2011, 20:31:17 »

and besides, there are several mathematical methods that enables you to omit  those polarised views ..

briefly you can take averages and after you calculate the avg you can omit the highest difference values(-,+) and recalculate the averages again.. which is also a scientific method..  I dont think a large tire selling site is publishing the averages of people telling porkies ;D .. try sorting in dry and wet  .. you will see its very close to other tests.. :y
« Last Edit: 28 February 2011, 20:31:41 by cem_devecioglu »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 February 2011, 20:53:16 »

That said, Omega does need very different tyres to, for example MR2. Apparently, Falkens are really good on MR2 ;)

Every car reacts differently to different tyres, and everybody has different demands, so I think most of these tyre surveys are not worth the effort.

its been many days I'm reading consumer surveys about tires.. and I concluded that , depending on measurable units such as brake distance, cornering g etc more important than user views.. they only mislead :-/
I'm lucky enough to drive many Omegas, all with different tyres (and many with incorrect geometry :(), which gives me a small advantage when it came to choosing tyres.

I was a bit lost when my beloved Dunlop SP9000's became obsolete, but am pleased with the choice I made.

Are you ever going to stop teasing people and just confess? Some of us know now anyway ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #35 on: 28 February 2011, 21:08:34 »

That said, Omega does need very different tyres to, for example MR2. Apparently, Falkens are really good on MR2 ;)

Every car reacts differently to different tyres, and everybody has different demands, so I think most of these tyre surveys are not worth the effort.

its been many days I'm reading consumer surveys about tires.. and I concluded that , depending on measurable units such as brake distance, cornering g etc more important than user views.. they only mislead :-/
I'm lucky enough to drive many Omegas, all with different tyres (and many with incorrect geometry :(), which gives me a small advantage when it came to choosing tyres.

I was a bit lost when my beloved Dunlop SP9000's became obsolete, but am pleased with the choice I made.

Are you ever going to stop teasing people and just confess? Some of us know now anyway ::) ::)

I am really curious about that "choice"  ?????

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 February 2011, 21:19:16 »

If you know his past preference it's not too hard to guess ::) ::)

He's predictable :-X :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #37 on: 28 February 2011, 21:22:13 »

yep..  ;D  this talk is going to be dangerous imo ;D :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 February 2011, 21:30:38 »

yep..  ;D  this talk is going to be dangerous imo ;D :y

Probably... But he wants my help soon ::) ;D

bluey

• Intermediate Member
  • West Mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 February 2011, 21:52:39 »

and besides, there are several mathematical methods that enables you to omit  those polarised views ..

briefly you can take averages and after you calculate the avg you can omit the highest difference values(-,+) and recalculate the averages again.. which is also a scientific method..  I dont think a large tire selling site is publishing the averages of people telling porkies ;D .. try sorting in dry and wet  .. you will see its very close to other tests.. :y

You're absolutely right on the points calculation - but they don't say how they go about putting up the figures so we don't know.  Additionally a couple of the comments about one or two tyres you showed in the screengrab I also agree with, and a couple I don't.  Surveys can be a help if you want some additional info before buying, but pinning your choice solely on a survey?  That's bonkers in my book, especially on one that is not scientific like that one.  And whether you like it or not they are open to abuse and bias from disgruntled users through to idle trolls, fanbois, poor memory/incorrect selections and the makers themselves. 

Much better to take the information into account when you decide, but make the decision from doing a bit more digging first.  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #40 on: 28 February 2011, 22:11:51 »

You're absolutely right on the points calculation - but they don't say how they go about putting up the figures so we don't know.  Additionally a couple of the comments about one or two tyres you showed in the screengrab I also agree with, and a couple I don't.  Surveys can be a help if you want some additional info before buying, but pinning your choice solely on a survey?  That's bonkers in my book, especially on one that is not scientific like that one.  And whether you like it or not they are open to abuse and bias from disgruntled users through to idle trolls, fanbois, poor memory/incorrect selections and the makers themselves. 

Much better to take the information into account when you decide, but make the decision from doing a bit more digging first.  :y

for long years I've spend serious money on tires.. and long time searching/comparing tests.. now as a habit I can distinguish biased results .. however tire quality is an area which requires big sums of investments from the producer.. so very rarely comes a surprise.. and plus between famous brands only a small fraction of difference exists which you cant distinguish when buying tires with your eyes and bare hands.. today , I checked several tires compounds by hand and very hard to decide honestly (except the price factor).. as a result, instead of trusting my experience and momentary perceptions I generally take the way of trusting the combined results of tests..

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 February 2011, 22:17:05 »

Well at least that 'test' seems to agree my Rainsport 2's seem to be one of the better tyres, not that expensive either.

Some of the placings do look rather odd though, I wouldn't take the results too seriously.
Budget tyres, false economy.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #42 on: 28 February 2011, 22:26:20 »

Well at least that 'test' seems to agree my Rainsport 2's seem to be one of the better tyres, not that expensive either.

Some of the placings do look rather odd though, I wouldn't take the results too seriously.

placings change depending on the  sort order column..  on some specific columns I actually get what I used to see -except some goodyears and michelins of which hard to find some honest test results.. :-X

ps: however it was a good one that I rarely see a test  combining many tires..
« Last Edit: 28 February 2011, 22:29:59 by cem_devecioglu »

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 28 February 2011, 23:42:49 »

Those figures appear to be the same kind of survey as the JP Power ones for reliability, or the Towcar of the Year awards.  ie, flat cap brigade talking 'dangle berries'
Agreed, what utter utter 'dangle berries'. Price marks the performance tyres down by the looks.

Appologies to cem for my comments, and thanks for taking the time to compile these lists, its much appreciated.  :y

But.... ::)

What those lists need is to be able to click on the column thats important to the buyer, and have all columns then in the order of relevance to that particular consumer. Although the individual columns help, its alot to sift through.

As said previously, what is considered a "good tyre" depends what you want from it, my Dad says a good tyre is the cheapest one on the shelf made of plastic.

I of course think thats bloody rediculous and will pay more, if needed, to get at least "some" grip. Some straightline stability would be nice as well.  ::)

However, i believe given a set of fixed desirables wanted in a tyre we woud all come to the same conclusion given a chance to compare within reason, although some simply wont notice some aspects i guess. For instance if i asked me Dad to pick the quitest tyre, or the gripiest in the wet(well, maybe not) we wouldnt be far off. As most of us here would be.

And also as previously said, what car was used in the test(s) ? Small front wheel drive cars will be differant to large rear wheel drive cars like the omega i am certain. I mean why do tyre manufacturers make tyres for specific models if all tyre work the same on all cars?

My twitch came back earlier today, somebody mentioned bloody Fa Fa fafer fer Falkens didnt they.  ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 March 2011, 00:06:01 »

I always say that there is a difference between cheap tyres and getting tyres cheap.

Cem - as much as you disagrree, I say that there is a large chunk of subjectivity and personal interpretation to also be included in your posted results.

The person that is happy hurtling through roads and bends in the dry could be a complete woose in the wet - and vice versa - and thus your results are skewed.

Until there is a reliable constant mechanical input that removes the nut behind the wheel, I personally will stick to personal preference.... 

But thanks for your input.  It truly is appreciated....   :y

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.