Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rev counter and speedo not working - Omega 2.6 CDX Auto  (Read 1085 times)

grahamff

• New Forest
    • Omega B 2.5 & Omega B 2.6
    • View Profile
Rev counter and speedo not working - Omega 2.6 CDX Auto
« on: 04 December 2021, 20:41:55 »

There is some history of this problem in the forum going back a number of years. A fair bit of discussion but no definitive answer. About four months ago my otherwise reliable Omega began to suffer with this. On most start-ups the rev counter and speedo worked fine. Stop the car and switch off after a few miles then restart resulted in no rev counter or speedo function. This habit continued for a month or so then both instruments decided to cease working at all. This did not bode well as an otherwise perfectly good - and lovely driving - car was scrapyard bound as no speedo is illegal to say the least. Shortly after this total failure and when taking her indoors to a hospital appointment, the old girl (ie the Omega, not her indoors) failed to start. Battery quite knackered as only got about half a rev off the starter. Odd how modern batteries are apparently quite fine one day then fall off a cliff and die with no indication. Anyway off to local tyre and battery place for a new one. Fitted without problem. Started OK and to my astonishment, both rev counter and speedo were fine, working perfectly. This has been the case for the past few months. From this I draw the following conclusions:
1) Pure coincidence. Whatever the fault was has rectified itself.
2) Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery has prompted some sort of 'system reset' such that the instruments function OK.
3) Fitting a fully-charged battery provides full-bodied voltage that perhaps was lacking with the old and dying one. The instrument systems then 'woke up' with this higher voltage and all was OK.

Personally I favour option (3) but I leave to readers to make up their own minds. In any event, if your Omega is suffering this problem, the above is a relatively quick test. It just might work...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Rev counter and speedo not working - Omega 2.6 CDX Auto
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2021, 20:50:38 »

1 and 3.

1 is probably water ingress related (condensation) or a ground fault.

3 is a given. An Omega I picked up having been sat a year just about started with a jump. It took twenty minutes before it would run without the jump leads. It took two more jumps to get to the nearest petrol station (1/2 a mile) and needed a new battery before it would even crank. Once that was in it was fine, but initially had low voltage faults in almost every ecu...

The Barge was as dead when I bought it, but ran from a jump. Got it home, fitted a new battery and it was grumbling about low voltage for the following week.
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2021, 21:06:01 »

I had the same issue
a temporary fix rather than scrap a car is to fit a HUD clicky if your Omega is OBD2 (2.6 & 3.2 )
they are IVA approved  :) so for the purposes of an MOT fine .

I still use my HUD even now the Binnacle is working .
not that I like a "gay digital dash" (what digi dashes where called by Totalcarlton members ) but it is better positioned that the factory speedo and gives lots of other info too .
I too replaced my battery but also stripped the binnacle and reflowed  solder joints etc
not sure what solved the issue or indeed if the fault won't return  :-\

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2021, 11:16:06 »

there is an issue on some other tachos ( im specifically mentioning cav mk1/manta b here but many other cars would be similar no doubt) whereby a capacitor on it failing causes a few issues. such as loss of damping,incorrect reading and general instability same as a failed capacitor would in an electronic device such as a tv etc.
maybee theres a cap on our dashes that fails ?

but one other thing worthy of mention.
my omega (with a not new but perfectly capable battery )used to go through the following starting scenario......turn ignition on,warning lights all come on,all go off except oil bat and handbrake as expected,turn to start,car cranks fine and fires and runs but battery voltage dips whilst cranking causing all warning lights to come back on for a few seconds again.   never thought anything about this as it never failed to start and cranked over at a good rate anyway.and continued to do so for 5 years !
BUT fitting a new (yuasa) battery last year eliminated the voltage dip and the warning lights never give their second appearance any more so that says to me that the omega( or many cars for that matter) are quite sensitive in one way or another to a perfect or just capable battery .

grahamff

• New Forest
    • Omega B 2.5 & Omega B 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2021, 17:57:29 »

Interesting... I'll have to chase up this HUD device just in case the old girl suffers a relapse (only done just over 186,000 miles so should be plenty left in her) in the near future. From the comments above, battery voltage level would appear to be something to keep an eye on generally. I'll report back should anything change. Many thanks for your input. Cheers for now.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2021, 18:14:47 »

Another reason I still used the HUD is the default screen displays MPH with battery voltage and RPM  :)
shop around if you do want a HUD  "HUD P10 OBD2 "
the link i posted was just the same item I have ,but that seller is China based .UK stock available  :)
Your car has done 100K more than mine   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.