Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy Prices....  (Read 6661 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Energy Prices....
« Reply #45 on: 23 September 2021, 10:10:55 »

No, not bound by your existing deal, but any credit you have will be honoured.
I have a two year fix with OctopusEnergy, 18 months to run.

We are also with Octopussy.

Must check out what we are paying/going to pay.
Why? What does it matter? You'll pay what you pay and you probably won't find cheaper elsewhere. If you were worried about fuel prices you wouldn't be hooning around in a 2.8T.

Is it possible to hoon around in a Signum?  :-\                                                                            ;D
As long as it's in a straight line  ;D

Doesn't make any difference; old people's reactions are so bad that 30mph feels like 70 used to :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 September 2021, 11:41:01 »

Checked our account with Scottish power pay £115 per month for gas & electric, couple of hundred quid in credit locked in till September 2022 so for now no increase in prices, unless they go tits up , still things could always be worse so certainly won't be worrying about it..👌

As my switch to Avro won't be happening, I've just checked to see what EonNext are offing me to stay and there is nothing, nada etc, so I'm stuck on the standard variable....  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23 September 2021, 11:51:36 »

Checked our account with Scottish power pay £115 per month for gas & electric, couple of hundred quid in credit locked in till September 2022 so for now no increase in prices, unless they go tits up , still things could always be worse so certainly won't be worrying about it..👌

As my switch to Avro won't be happening, I've just checked to see what EonNext are offing me to stay and there is nothing, nada etc, so I'm stuck on the standard variable....  :-\
This could be the answer to global warming. Make gas so expensive that no one uses it. If we want to keep warm we'll just have to set fire to granny, thus saving the public purse on pension payments  ;D
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 23 September 2021, 11:55:31 »

This could be the answer to global warming. Make gas so expensive that no one uses it. If we want to keep warm we'll just have to set fire to granny, thus saving the public purse on pension payments  ;D

Yep think I'll have to invest in some thermals and rebuild my chimney. At least then I could burn the furniture?  :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 23 September 2021, 11:59:26 »

Yep think I'll have to invest in some thermals and rebuild my chimney. At least then I could burn the furniture?  :)
In the woods where I walk doggie, the council did some thinning of the trees last year. They took all the good stuff away on log trucks but left the place in a right mess with all of the fallen branches. I notice that the place is looking less cluttered lately and there are wheelbarrow tracks everywhere.  ::)
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 23 September 2021, 12:09:03 »

I've just re-quoted on "Meercats". Cheapest deals for me are still in the £125-130 p/m range (Utility Warehouse, London Power, bulb, EDF) but they're all variable rate so will probably go up once the price cap is lifted.

Cheapest fixes are £150/pm (Sainsbury, eon) and they're all for 2 years. Cheapest 1 year's are £160-£165 (Scottish Power, Octopus).

Can't do anything about it now, but the fact that two year fixes are cheaper than one year makes me think the suppliers are expecting prices to rise in the short term, and then fall after year 1. I'm not sure whether it's wise to lock into a 2 year deal under those circumstances.

It's all a gamble.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 23 September 2021, 12:12:53 »

I've just re-quoted on "Meercats". Cheapest deals for me are still in the £125-130 p/m range (Utility Warehouse, London Power, bulb, EDF) but they're all variable rate so will probably go up once the price cap is lifted.

Cheapest fixes are £150/pm (Sainsbury, eon) and they're all for 2 years. Cheapest 1 year's are £160-£165 (Scottish Power, Octopus).

Can't do anything about it now, but the fact that two year fixes are cheaper than one year makes me think the suppliers are expecting prices to rise in the short term, and then fall after year 1. I'm not sure whether it's wise to lock into a 2 year deal under those circumstances.

It's all a gamble.
So the difference between a one year fix and a two year is £10-15 a month. Not worth losing sleep over, I'd go for the two year.
I'm paying OctopusEnergy £150 a month now, and that's on a two year fix from last April. I dread to think what I'd be paying on a variable rate.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 23 September 2021, 12:16:34 »

I've just re-quoted on "Meercats".

I've just checked Uswitch and the meercats and neither of them are giving quotes....  :-\

Nor GoCompare...

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 23 September 2021, 12:21:40 »

I've just checked Uswitch and the meercats and neither of them are giving quotes....  :-\

Nor GoCompare...
That's because they can't get quotes from the suppliers, half of which won't be around much longer and the other half who will be saddled with their customers.
Have a cuppa and a bacon buttie and chill. It won't go dark, Boris said so.  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23 September 2021, 12:26:00 »

Nor GoCompare...
That's because they can't get quotes from the suppliers, half of which won't be around much longer and the other half who will be saddled with their customers.
Have a cuppa and a bacon buttie and chill. It won't go dark, Boris said so.  ;D
Read the book Don recommended  :)
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23 September 2021, 12:37:37 »

It's all a gamble.
So the difference between a one year fix and a two year is £10-15 a month. Not worth losing sleep over, I'd go for the two year.
I'm paying OctopusEnergy £150 a month now, and that's on a two year fix from last April. I dread to think what I'd be paying on a variable rate.

Variable rate is actually the cheapest at the moment, and has been for the past 6 months or so. Of course, we don't actually know what the variable rate will be tomorrow, never mind in two years time, so no way of knowing what the correct decision will be until two years time.

It's a bit like taking out an 8% 10 year fixed mortgage in 2007. 8% may well have looked like a good rate if you were looking backwards at what happened in the previous 10 years, but if you could have looked into the future you would know it might be a poor deal.

It seems part of the problem is being caused by renewables - particularly wind. On a good day, wind can provide close to 50% of the UK's electrical power. On a bad day, close to zero. On the bad days we have to burn gas to make up the shortfall, and August & September have been 'calm' so we've been using more gas than planned. Also 5 of out 8 nuclear power stations are currently either off line or have faults, so nuclear power generation is down. That in turn has pushed up the wholesale price of gas. Gas supply can be increased, but not rapidly enough to cope with the demands placed on it by the weather.

Sounds like someone needs to tell the greenies to eff off, dig up Arthur Scargill and re-open the mines :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23 September 2021, 12:47:26 »

EonNext are now offering me a 2 year fix.  I got excited!  :)

Then saw that the standing charge is 39p per day for both gas and leccy!  :o

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23 September 2021, 12:52:26 »

Yes, but if you put aside all of the variables, and lock in to a two year deal, then you know what your budget is for your fuel costs for the next two years and you can forget about it.
We all think differently but, personally, I've got better things to do than spend time worrying about  whether I'm paying a little more or less than I could be. Then again, that's probably because I might not be around in two years  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 23 September 2021, 12:53:20 »

My above post was in reply to Malcolm, but that Tigger fella butted in.  ;D
But it's just as relevant to you.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 23 September 2021, 12:55:35 »

I'm off for a walk with doggie.....at least fresh air is still free.....for now.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.