Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy Prices....  (Read 6696 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Energy Prices....
« Reply #60 on: 23 September 2021, 13:09:05 »

I'm off for a walk with doggie.....at least fresh air is still free.....for now.

It won't be once your mutt unloads a giant log..... ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 23 September 2021, 13:14:59 »

Yes, but if you put aside all of the variables, and lock in to a two year deal, then you know what your budget is for your fuel costs for the next two years and you can forget about it.
We all think differently but, personally, I've got better things to do than spend time worrying about  whether I'm paying a little more or less than I could be. Then again, that's probably because I might not be around in two years  ;D

Except there is a 50-50 chance you'll pay more by actively choosing to do something (like lock into a 2 year fix) than by sitting on your arris and doing nothing (variable rate).

And now it seems that even if you do chose to fix, and the price goes up there is a 50-50 chance the supplier will go bust and you'll end up on variable rate anyway.

Heads they win, tails you loose. The illusion of choice only exists if you can trust the suppliers to deliver what you sign up for.

So my decision is based around the premis that Boris won't allow (too many) grannies to freeze to death this winter, and most grannies are on variable rate.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 23 September 2021, 13:45:47 »

Yes, but if you put aside all of the variables, and lock in to a two year deal, then you know what your budget is for your fuel costs for the next two years and you can forget about it.
We all think differently but, personally, I've got better things to do than spend time worrying about  whether I'm paying a little more or less than I could be. Then again, that's probably because I might not be around in two years  ;D

Except there is a 50-50 chance you'll pay more by actively choosing to do something (like lock into a 2 year fix) than by sitting on your arris and doing nothing (variable rate).

And now it seems that even if you do chose to fix, and the price goes up there is a 50-50 chance the supplier will go bust and you'll end up on variable rate anyway.

Heads they win, tails you loose. The illusion of choice only exists if you can trust the suppliers to deliver what you sign up for.

So my decision is based around the premis that Boris won't allow (too many) grannies to freeze to death this winter, and most grannies are on variable rate.
Yes, but you're going straight back to the things I said I would ignore. Two year contract, forget about it. Don't care what anyone else pays.
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 23 September 2021, 13:50:11 »

Yes, but you're going straight back to the things I said I would ignore. Two year contract,forget about it. Don't care what anyone else pays.

No, that's one more decision than just sitting on you bum and doing nothing and ignoring it all till it goes away. Replace the highlighted text with "Do nothing", and that's where I'm at.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 23 September 2021, 15:35:41 »

Yes, but you're going straight back to the things I said I would ignore. Two year contract,forget about it. Don't care what anyone else pays.

No, that's one more decision than just sitting on you bum and doing nothing and ignoring it all till it goes away. Replace the highlighted text with "Do nothing", and that's where I'm at.
Except you might have to remortgage to pay your gas bill next year.  ;D
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 23 September 2021, 15:47:22 »

I've just re-quoted on "Meercats". Cheapest deals for me are still in the £125-130 p/m range (Utility Warehouse, London Power, bulb, EDF) but they're all variable rate so will probably go up once the price cap is lifted.

Cheapest fixes are £150/pm (Sainsbury, eon) and they're all for 2 years. Cheapest 1 year's are £160-£165 (Scottish Power, Octopus).

Can't do anything about it now, but the fact that two year fixes are cheaper than one year makes me think the suppliers are expecting prices to rise in the short term, and then fall after year 1. I'm not sure whether it's wise to lock into a 2 year deal under those circumstances.

It's all a gamble.
So the difference between a one year fix and a two year is £10-15 a month. Not worth losing sleep over, I'd go for the two year.
I'm paying OctopusEnergy £150 a month now, and that's on a two year fix from last April. I dread to think what I'd be paying on a variable rate.

Variable rate is actually the cheapest at the moment, and has been for the past 6 months or so. Of course, we don't actually know what the variable rate will be tomorrow, never mind in two years time, so no way of knowing what the correct decision will be until two years time.

It's a bit like taking out an 8% 10 year fixed mortgage in 2007. 8% may well have looked like a good rate if you were looking backwards at what happened in the previous 10 years, but if you could have looked into the future you would know it might be a poor deal.

It seems part of the problem is being caused by renewables - particularly wind. On a good day, wind can provide close to 50% of the UK's electrical power. On a bad day, close to zero. On the bad days we have to burn gas to make up the shortfall, and August & September have been 'calm' so we've been using more gas than planned. Also 5 of out 8 nuclear power stations are currently either off line or have faults, so nuclear power generation is down. That in turn has pushed up the wholesale price of gas. Gas supply can be increased, but not rapidly enough to cope with the demands placed on it by the weather.

Sounds like someone needs to tell the greenies to eff off, dig up Arthur Scargill and re-open the mines :D
When you consider how much coal we have under the UK and around the world for that matter, that ain't a bad idea. I'm sure that there are ways now to filter a lot of the pollutants out before they hit the atmosphere.  ???

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 23 September 2021, 16:42:29 »

Except Boris won't let grannies freeze to death - they're the idiots that voted for him. Hence there is a limit to the price govt will allow the companies to charge for gas.

Fixing for 2 years instead of 1 means (whether you realise it or not) you're betting the price of gas will be more expensive in one years time than it is now. The gas companies don't believe that to be true because if it were 2 year fixes would be more expensive (or at least the same) than 1 year fixes. But they aren't (or weren't when I looked this morning!).

So by fixing for 2 years you're gambling that the gas companies have got it wrong (again!). For small suppliers that may be true, but for the big ones who actually dig/pump the stuff out of the ground - naahhhh.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 23 September 2021, 16:55:36 »

Except Boris won't let grannies freeze to death - they're the idiots that voted for him. Hence there is a limit to the price govt will allow the companies to charge for gas.

Fixing for 2 years instead of 1 means (whether you realise it or not) you're betting the price of gas will be more expensive in one years time than it is now. The gas companies don't believe that to be true because if it were 2 year fixes would be more expensive (or at least the same) than 1 year fixes. But they aren't (or weren't when I looked this morning!).

So by fixing for 2 years you're gambling that the gas companies have got it wrong (again!). For small suppliers that may be true, but for the big ones who actually dig/pump the stuff out of the ground - naahhhh.
Maybe...but I'm already ahead of the game, I fixed for two years six months ago, and I doubt prices will fall below Aprils in the next 18 months.
Enough gassing about gas, I'm off to use some in the kitchen.
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 23 September 2021, 17:04:51 »

Maybe...but I'm already ahead of the game, I fixed for two years six months ago, and I doubt prices will fall below Aprils in the next 18 months.
Enough gassing about gas, I'm off to use some in the kitchen.

Providing Octopus doesn't turn into Calamari  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 23 September 2021, 17:11:46 »

Corbyn and that Veggie bint from Brighton were such good alternatives afterall :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 23 September 2021, 17:12:47 »

I'm off for a walk with doggie.....at least fresh air is still free.....for now.
Best reread that book when you get back too ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 23 September 2021, 17:15:56 »

Best reread that book when you get back too ;D
I'm chilled enough...........best turn the heating up  ;D
I can afford it. Did I mention I fixed last April?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 23 September 2021, 17:40:05 »

We did ours a month ago, so I fully sympathise with your warm fuzzy smugness blanket :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 23 September 2021, 20:29:19 »

We did ours a month ago, so I fully sympathise with your warm fuzzy smugness blanket :D

Smug bastards!  >:(                                                                               ::)                                                                               ;D

When British Gas is the last man standing, has it's old monopoly back and you're both on it's expensive standard variable rate with the rest of us you won't be laughing then!  :P   ::)   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 23 September 2021, 20:31:18 »

Smug bastards!  >:(                                                                               ::)                                                                               ;D

When British Gas is the last man standing, has it's old monopoly back and you're both on it's expensive standard variable rate with the rest of us you won't be laughing then!  :P   ::)   ;D
Oh yes I will, I've read the book.  :)
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.