Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NCDC2013 removal and Board Computer options?  (Read 1728 times)

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
NCDC2013 removal and Board Computer options?
« on: 16 September 2021, 13:01:24 »

Hi all,

So I wish to replace the NCDC2013 with an aftermarket radio and I am wondering how I can keep the board computer?

I’ve had a quick search through the forum and I see a couple of different options.

Someone mentioned “stuffing the ncdc2013 behind the glove box”…. How exactly is this done? Is it the full HU or is it just the circuitry? Is it simply a matter of separating the non iso section of the plug/wiring harness and moving it?

The other option is a MID. From what I’ve gathered I may need to remove the stalk that currently controls the BC, replace it with a “normal” stalk and also replace the wiper stalk for the MID version? Is this correct and is it really as simple as that or will I need some coding down?

Thanks in advance

Brian

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: NCDC2013 removal and Board Computer options?
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2021, 13:41:43 »

Just realised my error in my post. My steering wheel buttons control my bc, not my stalks. So if I’ve read this right then to get a MID to work I need to replace my wiper stalk?

But will I have BC functions by swapping out these components?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2021, 16:52:01 »

The guide in the Maintenance Section was written by me and refers to upgrading the basic Triple Info Display to the Multiple Info Display along with adding various items such as coolant/washer/oil level senders.

Because of the extra features of the 2013, this is effectively a down grade, although much of the wiring you need is already going to the display. You'll need an age appropriate* MID with plug and 4" tail.

Re the wiper stalk, you need to see if the extra wiring is present at the column. Remove the column cowls and look for a small four pin plug (3 wires, brown/red/white or whatever the guide says). Pre '01 it will be a larger plug with more wires as you get a variable wipe control... Later cars have a rain sensor, so the only wires are for the BC.

If you have the spare plug taped up, the you simply need the matching stalk. No plug, then you'll need the stalk, both plugs and a 4" tail (you'll need to connect this appropriately to the MID plug.

Investigate what is currently fitted, establish what you require and go from there. Once you have the parts, it's simply a question of matching and connecting the wires as per the MID plug (NOT the current display). Use solder and heat shrink and do one wire at a time. You will have extra wires left over, so this method should ensure that nothing is missed.

*Don't trust ebay sellers on this point. There is plenty of info regarding the various screens on here in the FAQs/Maintenance Guides.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2021, 16:52:49 »

And that's on top of any Bose/non Bose issues.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2021, 17:04:04 »

Hi all,

So I wish to replace the NCDC2013 with an aftermarket radio and I am wondering how I can keep the board computer?

This is an option I was going to investigate at one time:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTK12proG-o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2021, 17:19:26 »

Hi all,

I like the idea of that :y but personally think the MID better matches the rest of the dash illumination.

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2021, 22:05:15 »

The guide in the Maintenance Section was written by me and refers to upgrading the basic Triple Info Display to the Multiple Info Display along with adding various items such as coolant/washer/oil level senders.

Because of the extra features of the 2013, this is effectively a down grade, although much of the wiring you need is already going to the display. You'll need an age appropriate* MID with plug and 4" tail.

Re the wiper stalk, you need to see if the extra wiring is present at the column. Remove the column cowls and look for a small four pin plug (3 wires, brown/red/white or whatever the guide says). Pre '01 it will be a larger plug with more wires as you get a variable wipe control... Later cars have a rain sensor, so the only wires are for the BC.

If you have the spare plug taped up, the you simply need the matching stalk. No plug, then you'll need the stalk, both plugs and a 4" tail (you'll need to connect this appropriately to the MID plug.

Investigate what is currently fitted, establish what you require and go from there. Once you have the parts, it's simply a question of matching and connecting the wires as per the MID plug (NOT the current display). Use solder and heat shrink and do one wire at a time. You will have extra wires left over, so this method should ensure that nothing is missed.

*Don't trust ebay sellers on this point. There is plenty of info regarding the various screens on here in the FAQs/Maintenance Guides.

Cheers dude

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2021, 22:06:28 »

And that's on top of any Bose/non Bose issues.

Yea I’ve started gathering new speakers and I’ve read the guide on “bypassing” the Bose Amp. But thanks again man.

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2021, 22:08:19 »

Hi all,

Looks expensive lol

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2021, 18:37:25 »

To convert a GID/CID to a MID, you need:

The MID, obviously. This needs to be programmed to match the car's config
A suitable wiper stalk with buttons (this will vary on car age and body style)
Some additional wiring from the wiper stalk to the MID - GID/CID equipped cars are missing this from their loom

Most NCDC were fitted to Elites, so you also need to replace/remove the Bose amp, and replace the bass speakers you intend to use (the ones at the bottom of the doors).  If you wish to retain the subs, these will need replacing and a suitable amp fitted.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.