Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PFL and FL V6 exhausts?  (Read 1375 times)

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
PFL and FL V6 exhausts?
« on: 19 September 2021, 21:37:43 »

Would a pfl v6 exhaust system (mid pipes and rear silencer) fit a fl? In this instance it’s a saloon system obviously for a saloon.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: PFL and FL V6 exhausts?
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2021, 22:19:58 »

The only difference between PFL and FL exhausts is cosmetic: the FL has a slightly longer tailpipe to match the chunkier bumper. You can add a trim to a PFL exhaust if you think it necessary. Personally, I think the shorter pipe looks better.

You do need to use the appropriate body type though; saloon and estate exhausts are not interchangeable

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2021, 22:25:41 »

Ah ok, I was specifically looking at a “performance” system, so perhaps as the tailpipes are shorter it wouldn’t be the answer at all in this case. Thanks for the info though.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2021, 23:02:47 »

The difference in length isn't really noticeable.

The only thing a performance mid section back will do is sound louder. Which spoils one of the car's better attributes.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2021, 23:31:18 »

That car has a face-lift, single exhaust position Irmscher rear bumper, which are a smidgen shorter iirc, so the earlier system should fit fine.

The only dimensional difference is the tailpipe length from the back of the back box to the tip.

3.0/3.2 have twin tips, 2.5/2.6 singles. They are interchangeable.

And to confirm, the downpipes/cats are the same saloon/Estate, the rest (ie mid and rears) is saloon OR estate :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2021, 11:09:22 »

I recently bought a PFL saloon system, I couldn't get an eternalcar one due to customs issues preventing them posting. Mine came from Scotland via ebay and the quality wasn't too bad but could have been better 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2021, 13:57:45 »

The only thing a performance mid section back will do is sound louder. Which spoils one of the car's better attributes.

My Mig currently has a Powerflow system at present. It’s basically joined the two banks together and is a single pipe into a back box which then has a “y” pipe into twin tips. The y pipe has all but rusted off and the system from the cat/down pipes back is a single 2.5inch system as opposed to the factory spec twin 2.5 inch right the way back!

Now I’m most likely wrong with this theory, but I fear it’s strangling the engine (or maybe the difference is minimal) and think that a twin system would allow it to breathe better.  Not to mention the fact that it’s rusting, which I find odd for a stainless steel system

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2021, 13:58:45 »

That car has a face-lift, single exhaust position Irmscher rear bumper, which are a smidgen shorter iirc, so the earlier system should fit fine.

The only dimensional difference is the tailpipe length from the back of the back box to the tip.

3.0/3.2 have twin tips, 2.5/2.6 singles. They are interchangeable.

And to confirm, the downpipes/cats are the same saloon/Estate, the rest (ie mid and rears) is saloon OR estate :y

That’s exactly right bud and good to know about the downpipes/cats!

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2021, 13:59:40 »

I recently bought a PFL saloon system, I couldn't get an eternalcar one due to customs issues preventing them posting. Mine came from Scotland via ebay and the quality wasn't too bad but could have been better
Don’t suppose you have a link?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2021, 19:17:28 »

Not to mention the fact that it’s rusting, which I find odd for a stainless steel system

There are different grades of stainless in exhaust systems - 304 and 409.
304 is pure stainless and will not rust
409 has some steel content for flexibilty, but will rust albeit slower than a mild steel system.
Most silencers, especially back boxes on stainless systems are 304 and polished for appearances.
I have had a complete 304 stainless sytem on a 1967 Triumph 2000 for about 25 years with no rust showing on it at all. The hanger brackets and clamps are also 304 as these are the parts that severely rust if mild steel.
I also have a 304 stainless system on one of my Omegas from the cats back. A nice sound, maybe slightly drony at speed, probably more noticeable being an estate. It was on the car when I bought it over 10 years ago, and has no rust on it whatsoever.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2021, 19:20:56 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2021, 21:26:32 »

Ah ok, I knew there were different grades but didn’t know the full extent of what that meant, so thank you for that info.  Every day’s a learning day!

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2021, 08:40:15 »

Don’t suppose you have a link?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260870056500
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.