Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car covers  (Read 1553 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Car covers
« on: 16 August 2023, 11:47:04 »

A while back, I bought a car cover for the Omega as it wasn't being used a lot. It fitted well and did the job of keeping the bird crap at bay !! However, it was during the very, very hot weather we had last year, and as our frontage is a sun trap for most of the day, the cover got boiling hot, couldn't bear your hand on it. When I came to take it off, it had stuck to the roof and bonnet, and had fubared the clear coat.  >:(  The damage has now expanded as the car is parked in the front, and I have had to start sanding it all back to be able to respray it. I can do the respray myself, but to hire a booth is £250 a day at a place in Buckingham. My Omega had really good paintwork, so I am really miffed. Obviously, I can't be 100% sure the cover was the problem, but the paintwork was great before and now is totally knackered.
Thought I'd post just to advise you to be aware of what has happened to me  :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Car covers
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2023, 11:56:53 »

I have heard of this before , the better the lining on the inside of the cover makes a vast difference apparently so I'm assuming that it would be some kind of "non stick" material, my mate has one for his MGB GT V8 cost a fortune.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2023, 12:04:04 »

The good ones have a lambs wool lining or something similar. Plastic ones really do sweat and ruin the paintwork.
Buy a red Vauxhall, like mine, and you don't even need to put a cover on it. Just leave it in the sun and, voila, it's pink  ;D
Diesel till I die

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2023, 12:23:01 »

Buy a red Vauxhall, like mine, and you don't even need to put a cover on it. Just leave it in the sun and, voila, it's pink  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

So true....how many 'pink' red car panels have I resprayed. Pinkest one I remember doing was a maroon Ford Corsair whole respray, back in the day.
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2023, 21:41:46 »

The good ones have a lambs wool lining or something similar. Plastic ones really do sweat and ruin the paintwork.
It's nice that you're doing your bit for the pride movement Steve.  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2023, 09:38:54 »

It's nice that you're doing your bit for the pride movement Steve.  ;)

My car is pomegranate red. If it turns pansy pink because of the sun WBAC can have it. ;)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2023, 20:56:29 »

this is the problem of using car covers. they either stick to the surface like yours has or promote condensation .the breathable ones are supposed to overcome this problem .maybee ?
but also any dust that gets under it will scratch the surface if the cover gets any movement from wind so realy cars are better off uncovered. a good clean and wax coating regularly should keep the paintwork good.main issue ive found over the years when not using a car for many months is the surface rust that starts on brake discs. light rusting rubs off but anything more starts to cause pitting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.