TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Bugger
« on: 06 March 2007, 21:29:40 »

Due to being late cox all the motorways were 'dangle berries'ed, I may have got snapped by a camera van, doing 60 in a 50mph stretch on empty dual carriageway in London  :'(
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Bugger
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2007, 21:30:33 »

Balls.... you may get off though...

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2007, 21:30:44 »

Oh dear  :'(
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2007, 21:31:25 »

Oh dear :-?

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2007, 21:32:19 »

I was snapped a few years ago and dreaded that letter coming through. Thankfully it never came so fingers crossed the same will happen for you!  :y
Cambelt changed 03/12/06.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2007, 21:39:18 »

Fingers crossed it was brew time ;)
Retired

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2007, 21:50:15 »

Maybe the camera van uses Sony hardware and Microsoft, one can hope!  :P

I thought I got dinged late last year, but never got the letter.  Best of luck!
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2007, 22:22:37 »

The magic figure is 10% of limit plus 3 which equals 58mph before prosecution.
Speedos tend to show higher speeds than actual above 40mph - how close to 60 were you?
14 days to go until you know......  good luck!!  :P

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2007, 22:32:09 »

Go to pepipoo and read some stuff there.

It may be worth fighting

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2007, 22:45:12 »

i got done my a mobile van 4 years ago, not nice feeling waiting for the brown envelope :(

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2007, 06:49:58 »

Get yourself one of these, they're brilliant - http://www.talex.co.uk/talexlite/
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2007, 07:02:59 »

The magic figure is 10% of limit plus 3 which equals 58mph before prosecution.
Speedos tend to show higher speeds than actual above 40mph - how close to 60 were you?
14 days to go until you know......  good luck!!  :P

Not always true.....esp with camera vans....its usually just 10%

Hopefully tho there were doing something else at the time and not watching  :-/

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2007, 08:32:16 »

Get yourself one of these, they're brilliant - http://www.talex.co.uk/talexlite/

Surely cheaper and easier in long term to just download all the camera positions and red light camera POIs for a TomTom. At least it does more than just beep at you every 2 hundred yards (which seems like the average distance between cameras these days! [smiley=smiley.gif])

Wasn't there a story (probably urban myth) about some lads who got clobbered by a camera van, went back and stole the number plates from the van, attached them to their own car and sped past the van 17 times so the van would ticket itself. [smiley=laugh.gif]
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2007, 08:43:26 »

Surely cheaper and easier in long term to just download all the camera positions and red light camera POIs for a TomTom. At least it does more than just beep at you every 2 hundred yards (which seems like the average distance between cameras these days! [smiley=smiley.gif])

Wasn't there a story (probably urban myth) about some lads who got clobbered by a camera van, went back and stole the number plates from the van, attached them to their own car and sped past the van 17 times so the van would ticket itself. [smiley=laugh.gif]
I use TomTom POIs, updated before I set out. No warning.

As to how fast, I came over brow of hill, saw him, hit the anchors, by time I looked at speedo it was 55 ish, so I'm guessing 60mph.

At end of day, I knew what the limit was, and knew I was breaking it, so fair cop  :(

So what can I expect - points and fine? How much?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2007, 08:44:34 »

3 points and 60 quid.....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 March 2007, 09:13:34 »

i got the points and got sent to a training day at Silverstone, got to spin a Mondeo around on a Skid pan so not all bad!

If you do get 3 points, they stay on the licence for 3 years, and 5 years for insurance premiums!  :(

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 March 2007, 14:12:09 »

I use TomTom POIs, updated before I set out. No warning.

As to how fast, I came over brow of hill, saw him, hit the anchors, by time I looked at speedo it was 55 ish, so I'm guessing 60mph.

At end of day, I knew what the limit was, and knew I was breaking it, so fair cop  :(

So what can I expect - points and fine? How much?

The Talex would have warned you verbaly of the speed limit, the mobile camera, and told you to slow down in plenty of time.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2007, 14:13:27 by Auto_Addict »
I like red cars

Lawman

• Cleland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 March 2007, 14:48:45 »

Unlucky!  :'(

That's a bit cheeky being over the brow of a hill!! >:( Surely the distance from the van was sufficiently away from the brow so that your slowing was effective...surely they didnt clock you there and then...do they not need to take it over a certain distance?
Also your change in speed even if clocked would not have given a suitable reading.

Good luck!! :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 March 2007, 15:15:15 »

The vans are cash grabbers, they will have got him the moment he was in sight and they try to hide as best as they can....

I got caught by one in Nottingham, dirty great big dual carridgeway with no houses or anything near it...30 zone and he was hidden behind a tree, I thought it was still 40 as I had foolishly missed a sign....41mph.....

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 March 2007, 15:41:17 »

None of these tom-tom add ons are much good against a talivan. The only real defence is a laser jammer which both detects the signal and jams it while simultaneously warning you, the idea being you scrub off speed quickly before disabling the jammer thus allowing them to get a reading once your speed is down! They are legally questionable though, not sure if anyone's ever been done for using one, as all they do is emit light (which just so happens to coincide with the laser frequency) and AFAIK those vans aren't operated by actual police officers so you're not obstructing police.

Personally I have neither radar detectors, camera locations in my sat nav, nor laser jammers or whatever the latest defence may be. Main reason being that none of these are a defence against the stealth traffic cop hiding behind a wall, in which case vigilence is the only saving grace. Either that or obeying the (often draconian) speed limits at all times!

Here's hoping you don't get a stealth tax notice through the door in the next 14 days :(

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 March 2007, 16:19:10 »

Don't ACME do a cheaper version that only goes up to 40MPH?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Dave

• Sittingbourne,Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 March 2007, 16:33:15 »

I a bought snooper last year well worth the money,detects gatso,specs,lasers etc.I only do about 5000 miles year in the car but about 96000 miles in the truck. The road works on the M1 jct 10-8 have specs but most nights have a mobile van as well.
Grand Scenic 1.9 dci. Hands free card,Panoramic sunroof,sliding centre console,Opening tailgate window,Climate control,Cruise control,parking sensors,Roof bar spoiler,Folding mirrors,Auto lights & wipers.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 March 2007, 19:09:02 »

Due to being late cox all the motorways were 'dangle berries'ed, I may have got snapped by a camera van, doing 60 in a 50mph stretch on empty dual carriageway in London  :'(

Thats bad news Jaime, the camera vans doing 60 in a 50 and you get snapped >:(...I would put in a complaint, when you get it through your letterbox...they must have been pissed :y ;D

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 March 2007, 22:17:25 »

Thats bad news Jaime, the camera vans doing 60 in a 50 and you get snapped >:(...I would put in a complaint, when you get it through your letterbox...they must have been pissed :y ;D

;D ;D [smiley=beer.gif]
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 March 2007, 08:39:39 »

I know its a personal choice on avoiding these speed ambushes (modern day Dick Turpin!). I find the TomTom POI warning fine. Its beeped a few times for mobile camera locations, gone round a corner and there it is! Admittedly, 99 times out of a 100 TomTom goes beep and theres no van there.

I've never been sure about the detectors like snooper as I think they'd lull me into a false sense of security. I know you should take them as a guide only, but they do nothing against the unmarked car or motorbike with VASCAR following you or the systems triggered by induction loops in the road.

AFAIK those vans aren't operated by actual police officers so you're not obstructing police.

Not sure about this, couldn't you be done for something else like perverting the course of justice or any number of obscure offences that plod don't advertise.

Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 March 2007, 09:08:36 »

The only real defence is a laser jammer which both detects the signal and jams it while simultaneously warning you, the idea being you scrub off speed quickly before disabling the jammer thus allowing them to get a reading once your speed is down! They are legally questionable though

Not just questionable they are competely illegal, under wireless telegraph act

You are interfereing with a transmitted signal and therefore breaking the law.

These work by creating an error or returning a highly dubious speed. They turn off automatically (some need to be done manually) after a couple of seconds to stop the gun operator realising its being jammed.

If you get caught using one its big fine.

Laser/ radar dectors are legal because they only pick up the signal and do nothing with it, thats why the origional court case 12-15 years ago fell apart

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 March 2007, 10:42:07 »

Laser/ radar dectors are legal because they only pick up the signal and do nothing with it, thats why the origional court case 12-15 years ago fell apart

Its a bit late to detect the laser once its pointed at you......

In Nottingham pretty much all the camers are specs or induction loop based so the detectors wont spot them, only the GPS based systems that know where they are will give a warning...

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 March 2007, 11:03:37 »

TB - hope the brown envelope does not land on your doorstep in the next 14 days....

Couple of things in no particular order that are relevant to the thread, not to your particular circumstances, hopefully.   ;)

Nicking threshold varies from Force to Force and even then, road to road.  Used to be a blanket speed limit +12 mph (inclusive) but this has dropped considerably by Safety Camera Pratnerships...  Most 'real' traffic cops still interpret the limits realistically to ensure a balance between safety and traffic flow.  For example, sometimes its a bad idea to have an artic lorry doing his legal limited 40 mph in 'rush hour' morning or evening traffic on a single lane A road rather than the mechanical limited 56....

£60 and three points for a straight forward speeding.  Higher speeds, contentious locations (outside schools) can get more.

Points count towards totting up for 3 years but remain on your licence for 4.  Or 10 years and 11, in the case of a 10 year drink/drive ban.  

5 years is the general countback for insurance companies, but some of the cheaper premium ones look for further back in order to keep the premiums acceptably low and get your business.  Take care to answer the q's on the proposal form (or tele call) correctly as any failure to intimate facts is deemed a material non disclosure and insurance could thus be voided.  Be a b*gger if your pride and joy just got clobbered by a lorry.....

Laser and jamming.  Its an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act as priviously pointed out to jam or disrupt the signals from the speed detector.  Further, in Scotland, you could also be reported for section 41(1)(a) of the Police (Scotland) Act whereby you obstruct, molest or hinder an Officer (and a camera operator as far as this act is concerned is also an 'Officer') in the execution of their duty.

Speed detectors and similar.  The court case referred to where use deemed lawfull applied to England and Wales only.  Strictly speaking, speed detectors in your vehicle are stilled deemed unlawful in Scotland and nickable.  No offence to sell them in Halfords or similar or indeed for you to buy them, but an offence to use and react on 'info' received!!

HtH

B
« Last Edit: 08 March 2007, 11:36:43 by hotel21 »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 March 2007, 18:18:49 »

TB - hope the brown envelope does not land on your doorstep in the next 14 days....

Couple of things in no particular order that are relevant to the thread, not to your particular circumstances, hopefully.   ;)

Nicking threshold varies from Force to Force and even then, road to road.  Used to be a blanket speed limit +12 mph (inclusive) but this has dropped considerably by Safety Camera Pratnerships...  Most 'real' traffic cops still interpret the limits realistically to ensure a balance between safety and traffic flow.  For example, sometimes its a bad idea to have an artic lorry doing his legal limited 40 mph in 'rush hour' morning or evening traffic on a single lane A road rather than the mechanical limited 56....

£60 and three points for a straight forward speeding.  Higher speeds, contentious locations (outside schools) can get more.

Points count towards totting up for 3 years but remain on your licence for 4.  Or 10 years and 11, in the case of a 10 year drink/drive ban.  

5 years is the general countback for insurance companies, but some of the cheaper premium ones look for further back in order to keep the premiums acceptably low and get your business.  Take care to answer the q's on the proposal form (or tele call) correctly as any failure to intimate facts is deemed a material non disclosure and insurance could thus be voided.  Be a b*gger if your pride and joy just got clobbered by a lorry.....

Laser and jamming.  Its an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act as priviously pointed out to jam or disrupt the signals from the speed detector.  Further, in Scotland, you could also be reported for section 41(1)(a) of the Police (Scotland) Act whereby you obstruct, molest or hinder an Officer (and a camera operator as far as this act is concerned is also an 'Officer') in the execution of their duty.

Speed detectors and similar.  The court case referred to where use deemed lawfull applied to England and Wales only.  Strictly speaking, speed detectors in your vehicle are stilled deemed unlawful in Scotland and nickable.  No offence to sell them in Halfords or similar or indeed for you to buy them, but an offence to use and react on 'info' received!!

HtH

B

Is it illegal then, to hold the camera database on a device that warns you of a camera position, and tells you the speed limit of the road, and also whether you are exceeding that speed limit?
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 March 2007, 18:20:42 »

HtH

B

Is it illegal then, to hold the camera database on a device that warns you of a camera position, and tells you the speed limit of the road, and also whether you are exceeding that speed limit?
Obviously a grey area - even the marketing bumph says 'warns of accident blackspots' rather than mention cameras...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #30 on: 08 March 2007, 18:55:18 »

HtH

B

I would have said not......coz that uses GPS technology...Its the radar type detectors that seem a grey area to me  :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 March 2007, 21:20:58 »

The holding of a database and acting on the info held is absolutely fine - think about the AA or whoever issued the Road Atlases with the info printed in them - as you are simply using a GPS device to plot your position relative to that of the 'Accident Blackspot'..

The difficulty and problems arise due to 'reading' or interfering with the transmitted signal from the speed detection device and reacting to the fact that the device is there.  You know what its for and adjust your speed accordingly if required.

Think about those black and white films you see on TCM of cops and robbers.  The robbers monitor the police radio frequency and react to info received or jam the frequency so the Cops cannot speak in order to evade detection.  The analogy remains the same regarding speed detectors/jammers, even though your not on an Italian Job type run......

HtH

B

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 March 2007, 21:28:30 »

Opps!!  thats the thing about us women, fast drivers but careful!! (well maybe sometimes) x x
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

crowman

• herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 March 2007, 23:32:01 »

Tom Tom is very good if it's up to date. Mine doesn't cover all the cameras but most of the new ones I know. Got mine on a free off the web. Passed a mobile  @ 36 in a 40. never heard a thing. Hope you're lucky. You never Know. GOOD LUCK.
You've been using this !!!!

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 March 2007, 07:02:51 »

Tom Tom is very good if it's up to date. Mine doesn't cover all the cameras but most of the new ones I know. Got mine on a free off the web. Passed a mobile  @ 36 in a 40. never heard a thing. Hope you're lucky. You never Know. GOOD LUCK.

In my opinion, the Talex system is far superior to any of the Sat Nav systems I have seen upto now.

This is based on my experience, and feedback of others I know who have both.

I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 March 2007, 18:54:31 »

Opps!!  thats the thing about us women, fast drivers but careful!! (well maybe sometimes) x x
Yes, Mrs TheBoy isn't one to drive slowly ::)
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 March 2007, 20:57:26 »

If it was from a TLI 20-20 they are not infallable.  Trevor McDonald hosted a programme tonight outlining the flaws, but basically it needs to have been locked on to your front number plate and given that you stepped on the brake at the same time your odds are looking up.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 March 2007, 21:03:32 »

If it was from a TLI 20-20 they are not infallable.  Trevor McDonald hosted a programme tonight outlining the flaws, but basically it needs to have been locked on to your front number plate and given that you stepped on the brake at the same time your odds are looking up.  :y
Saw it.

However, if I do get the envelope through the door, its fair as far as I'm concerned (presuming of course it says I was doing the speed I think I was doing).
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.