Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Freeander 1.8 over heating...  (Read 4516 times)

Martin_1962

Re: Freeander 1.8 over heating...
« Reply #30 on: 10 March 2007, 18:17:22 »

Well you should get the TD5 or the older 2.5 or 2.25 engines, or of course the V8

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 March 2007, 19:02:51 »

The reason I've got the 2.5 V6 freelander is because of this.

check this out: http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.showdiscussion/maxrows-20/startrow-1/thread_id-10411/93e028c3.html - pretty much everyone a 1.8 k-series hg failure.

This car is THE worst thing I've ever seen, land rover should be shot, burnt, then shot again for building it, and BMW should be strung up along with them for screwing so many people over.

I had overheating problems on the 2.5, of course I instantly thought HG, but it wasn't - thermostat knackered itself, warped the inlet manifold which you can only buy from LR for £450!! Idiots.

Doesn't the V6 Freelander have the KV6 engine. If so, yet another quality solution from Powertrain Ltd. Not.

The whole K thing (inc KV6, and engine hastily developed as they obviously couldn't keep using Honda once BMW bought Rover) needed further development for reliability, and again, BMW management would not allow this.

Don't get me wrong TB, the things on ebay at the mo - KV6 doesn't have HG probs (or at least not a significant amount) - I agree totally - shocking peice of engineering as just about everything else goes wrong instead  :D
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 March 2007, 19:54:54 »

check this out: http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.showdiscussion/maxrows-20/startrow-1/thread_id-10411/93e028c3.html - pretty much everyone a 1.8 k-series hg failure.

This car is THE worst thing I've ever seen, land rover should be shot, burnt, then shot again for building it, and BMW should be strung up along with them for screwing so many people over.

I had overheating problems on the 2.5, of course I instantly thought HG, but it wasn't - thermostat knackered itself, warped the inlet manifold which you can only buy from LR for £450!! Idiots.

Doesn't the V6 Freelander have the KV6 engine. If so, yet another quality solution from Powertrain Ltd. Not.

The whole K thing (inc KV6, and engine hastily developed as they obviously couldn't keep using Honda once BMW bought Rover) needed further development for reliability, and again, BMW management would not allow this.

Don't get me wrong TB, the things on ebay at the mo - KV6 doesn't have HG probs (or at least not a significant amount) - I agree totally - shocking peice of engineering as just about everything else goes wrong instead  :D
I believe me, the KV6 has HG problems.  It is likely that at least one of the HG on the KV6 will go before 40k...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #33 on: 10 March 2007, 20:39:25 »

Well you should get the TD5 or the older 2.5 or 2.25 engines, or of course the V8

I assume you mean the disco??

My brother loves em.....dunno why tho.....hes on his fourth now....

1st one V8 auto.....spent more time on a back of a low loader than actually being driven....
2nd one 2.5TD auto......autobox failed....turbo failed
3rd one 2.5TD auto......autobox failed....new engine
4th one 2.5TD auto.....autobox failed....hes still got this one

Spotting a trend here?? ....He buys a year to 18month old ones from a landrover dealer....so they shouldnt be wrecks when he buys them!

One of my neighbours loves landies.....and has had several for years....no probs with them....but his missus wanted a bit more comfort.....so he bought a disco 2.5TD .....had for less than a year.....engine went pop! ....He scrapped it....nows he got a freelander TD......bet that doesnt last long either!!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 March 2007, 20:45:27 »

I assume you mean the disco??

My brother loves em.....dunno why tho.....hes on his fourth now....

1st one V8 auto.....spent more time on a back of a low loader than actually being driven....
2nd one 2.5TD auto......autobox failed....turbo failed
3rd one 2.5TD auto......autobox failed....new engine
4th one 2.5TD auto.....autobox failed....hes still got this one

Spotting a trend here?? ....He buys a year to 18month old ones from a landrover dealer....so they shouldnt be wrecks when he buys them!

One of my neighbours loves landies.....and has had several for years....no probs with them....but his missus wanted a bit more comfort.....so he bought a disco 2.5TD .....had for less than a year.....engine went pop! ....He scrapped it....nows he got a freelander TD......bet that doesnt last long either!!!
Discos used to use same 2.5TD as Omegas - the hugely overated BMW unit.  Again, another BMW decision....
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #35 on: 10 March 2007, 21:53:28 »

Oh dear

Proper Land Rover - is a good car very basic but will last forever

Discovery is a Range Rover with a cheap suit.

Gear box is GM - same range as ours :o So should be good no sports mode though and even the 4.0 is not overly quick.

The first ones used a DI 5 bearing version of their 2.5 TD - also got fitted to 90 & 110 eventually, petrol options were 3.5 V8 and 2.0 M16, my cousin has the TD.

The facelifted Discovery has 4.0 V8 or the TD5 Storm DI 5 cylinder diesel, I  know of no problems with it.

The Ford Discovery has the Ford/Peugeot 2.7 V6 don't know what the petrol is.

The BMW 2.5TD was only fitted to the Range Rover - replacing the VM tractor engine.

Yes I do fancy a 109 or a 88 or even an early 90 or 110 HCPU (petrol) as a project.

My cousin with the Discovery 1 TD also has a S2 88 under restoration fitted with a Montego 2.0 TD and Salisbury axles, he also has a 2.25 109 as a part donor I am goading him to restore.

Last holiday we gave each other rides, me up the road at high speeds in total comfort, him along an impassible track and the through a field* on a short cut.

* Him and his dad are the employed farmers for this farm my uncle basically runs it.

My cousin and his wife are currently struggling to find somewhere to live as they live in a very high cost holiday/posh/retirement area, and outsiders are getting on the councils and stopping new build for young locals >:(

As to Freelanders - would an X20XEV fit the gearbox?

Mole

• Midlothian, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 March 2007, 08:46:04 »

If you end up doing the head gasket job yourself Tunnie then make sure you get the superceded thermostat housing. My brother has a 1.8 freelander and got a new engine foc from Rover when the head gasket went at 4 years old. The thermostat housing was relocated and it has been fine ever since(about another 4 years). Apparently that stops them overheating. The Lotus Elise which uses the same engine doesn't go through head gaskets like they are going out of fashion because it is properly cooled.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 March 2007, 12:47:36 »

I believe me, the KV6 has HG problems.  It is likely that at least one of the HG on the KV6 will go before 40k...

I must have just been lucky then - perhaps you don't hear of it so much as nowhere near as many were sold as the 1.8's...
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.