Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking wheel nuts  (Read 8094 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Locking wheel nuts
« Reply #45 on: 15 March 2017, 15:52:30 »

Vaseline the nut lightly  :o ;D  so it acts like a release agent, Cling film over the nut, big socket full of chemical metal pushed onto nut, let it set overnight, remove nut, remove nut from socket and you should basically have a new locking socket that'll fit the other wheels.

Sounds like it would work...whether it will is another matter though 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 15 March 2017, 16:01:12 »

Vaseline the nut lightly  :o ;D  so it acts like a release agent, Cling film over the nut, big socket full of chemical metal pushed onto nut, let it set overnight, remove nut, remove nut from socket and you should basically have a new locking socket that'll fit the other wheels.

Sounds like it would work...whether it will is another matter though

If you do this, use a good brand of epoxy, follow the instructions to the letter, and don't use a quick setting one(they trade strength for speed)

Personally I think adding extra material drastically reduces your options if it doesn't work, so isn't an option I would choose. But then I do have the tools for processes that are more likely to work. Guaranteed to work if you're prepared to risk wheel damage by grinding the nut and stud away.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 15 March 2017, 19:06:22 »

Gone too far with attacking one already for a mold to work anyway. They are on tight that's for sure. 

Would help if I didn't live in a community where c**ting the living shit out of something metal at gone 5pm is frowned upon  ::)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 15 March 2017, 20:14:22 »

this is one job for whatever reason I've never had to do. I saw my old boss do it a few times though...... weld a big blob on to it and then get the Irwin stud extractors on it. Worked beautifully  :)

In your case as you mention welding ain't an option then I reckon (based purely on your photo) get a small set of stilsons to grip on there with a big f..k off pipe over the end for leverage. Similar to what stemo says  :y

On an aside I had the owner of Scott's Tyres in Northampton (hopefully folk I my area will know that place) take my omega keys off. I swear he had them ALL removed in 5 minutes flat with just a hammer and chisel with no marks on the alloys. Art shows itself in many different forms!!!!
RIP Paul Lovejoy

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 15 March 2017, 20:56:02 »

this is one job for whatever reason I've never had to do. I saw my old boss do it a few times though...... weld a big blob on to it and then get the Irwin stud extractors on it. Worked beautifully  :)

In your case as you mention welding ain't an option then I reckon (based purely on your photo) get a small set of stilsons to grip on there with a big f..k off pipe over the end for leverage. Similar to what stemo says  :y

On an aside I had the owner of Scott's Tyres in Northampton (hopefully folk I my area will know that place) take my omega keys off. I swear he had them ALL removed in 5 minutes flat with just a hammer and chisel with no marks on the alloys. Art shows itself in many different forms!!!!

Already thought of that me'sen and tried it.  The issue here is scale. Most locking wheel nuts are 15-17mm.  These are 26mm round at the front and the friction area is nearer 40mm hence even with the genuine key you're onto a losing battle, especially given they're made of cheese. And they're half as tight again as a regular car bolt/nut.

Will be going down a more destructive route in daylight hours.   
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 15 March 2017, 21:04:23 »

You anywhere near Northampton? My welder is going in my boot at the weekend. Could swing by if you're close :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 15 March 2017, 21:15:27 »

You anywhere near Northampton? My welder is going in my boot at the weekend. Could swing by if you're close :-\

I'm not. But thanks anyway. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 15 March 2017, 21:19:01 »

I'm not. But thanks anyway. :)

You're just scared in case I'm a stemo-type character. I fully understand  ;D

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 18 March 2017, 13:59:08 »

If none of the above work try a lump hammer and a chisel. I had similar with an Omega locking nut last year(much more recessed) and tried everything. In the end a hammer & chisel got it turning.
Also may be worth drilling through the centre first to weaken its grip.

This worked a treat.  30 - 45 seconds on each one saw it loose. Thanks for all the suggestions.  So much more rewarding to solve a problem for free rather than paying the inventor of the problem more money!  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18 March 2017, 15:33:30 »

Nice work mate  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 18 March 2017, 16:16:01 »

If none of the above work try a lump hammer and a chisel. I had similar with an Omega locking nut last year(much more recessed) and tried everything. In the end a hammer & chisel got it turning.

This worked a treat.  30 - 45 seconds on each one saw it loose. Thanks for all the suggestions.  So much more rewarding to solve a problem for free rather than paying the inventor of the problem more money!  :y

I will PM you my address so you can send the cigar. A nice big Cuban one will do nicely.  :y ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 18 March 2017, 17:21:09 »

Round here you still need locking nuts/bolts after all it was only last year that someone nicked two of the centre caps off the wheels of my Omega >:(

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18 March 2017, 17:44:40 »

I will PM you my address so you can send the cigar. A nice big Cuban one will do nicely.  :y ;D

I hope that's not a euphemism squire  :o  :)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 18 March 2017, 17:46:19 »

Round here you still need locking nuts/bolts after all it was only last year that someone nicked two of the centre caps off the wheels of my Omega >:(

Yeah cos making off with 4 alloys, a trolley jack and a wheel brace is just as easy as making off with a screwdriver and two plastic caps.  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.