Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbone replacement  (Read 2559 times)

JimE

Wishbone replacement
« on: 08 May 2012, 10:45:57 »

Quick question guys, I have read through various posts, guides etc... Is this a job for a mediocre DIYer? Or should I just get my local garage to do it for me?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Wishbone replacement
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2012, 10:51:36 »

Quick question guys, I have read through various posts, guides etc... Is this a job for a mediocre DIYer? Or should I just get my local garage to do it for me?
Easy enough to do but if you don`t feel confident.........................your choice Jim
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2012, 10:56:45 »

Nothing too difficult, some just fiddly things as getting the old one out and new one in, esp the rear bush has IME been sometimes difficult. And one fiddly part is to get the strut on ball joint, I thought I needed at least a third hand  :D

keithnic

• Dunbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2012, 16:02:58 »

I did it myself and it wasn't too bad and I'm a bit of an amateur.  Don't forget to put the wheel back on and take the jack away (i.e. so weight of car is on wheel) before tightening the bolst to the correct torque setting.  I tightened them with the wheel off the ground and wishbones only lasted six months...

JimE

« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2012, 18:22:59 »

Some good advice there guys, I think I may give it a go at the weekend. I'll let you know how I get along with it.

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2012, 19:59:58 »

Research this well. Bolts MUST be tightened in wheels loaded/normal ride height position. Difficult on a drive way.

I use ramps but only if the jack will go high enough to place the ramps under the wheels.

Then once complete, get WIM, or your set up guy to re torque them on the ramp to be doubly sure.

Hth

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2012, 20:17:05 »

Make sure you support the car securely. It weighs 1.7 tons & will kill you if it gets the chance.............

I have done mine 3 times now (on two different cars). I always struggle to lever the wishbone down far enough to plug the balljoint into the bottom of the strut.

The easiest way to do it is to undo the bolts that fix the stub axle to the bottom of the strut first. If you do you must get the camber set properly after or the inside edges of the front tyres will wear away in a few thousand miles.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2012, 22:16:47 »

Pull the steering pin out fully. Lever arm down, place stub axle hole on top of pin. It should stay while you let go. Then with both hands and a shuv in board(make sure car is stable) it should just pop in.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2012, 22:40:13 »

Pull the steering pin out fully. Lever arm down, place stub axle hole on top of pin. It should stay while you let go. Then with both hands and a shuv in board(make sure car is stable) it should just pop in.
That is the way I do it too. Doesn't feel good though forcing bushes & balljoints to the limit of their travel. :-\

I agree about making sure car is stable  :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

JimE

« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2012, 15:46:28 »

Phoned my local garage and for £75 he will fit both wishbones and reset the tracking/geometry etc at the same time so told him to book it in for Friday, saves me getting squashed underneath the car lol

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2012, 15:49:10 »

Phoned my local garage and for £75 he will fit both wishbones and reset the tracking/geometry etc at the same time so told him to book it in for Friday, saves me getting squashed underneath the car lol

Make sure he does it right, with the wishbones tightened with car lowered and weight on them. Also I'm dubious of any grease monkeys "tracking" - You want a full alignment done  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2012, 15:55:11 »

Not for £75 he won't. Fully expect buggered tyres in short order. Your car, tyres and money, but get it done properly.

Ask him what the camber setting is.

JimE

« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2012, 17:50:15 »

Make sure he does it right, with the wishbones tightened with car lowered and weight on them. Also I'm dubious of any grease monkeys "tracking" - You want a full alignment done  :y

Haha Grease monkeys?  >:( I think not! It is an excellent local garage/motor engineers with an excellent reputation. they always do a sterling job and really know their stuff. They have worked on my and other family and friends cars for years.... complete faith in them!  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2012, 17:53:19 »

Haha Grease monkeys?  >:( I think not! It is an excellent local garage/motor engineers with an excellent reputation. they always do a sterling job and really know their stuff. They have worked on my and other family and friends cars for years.... complete faith in them!  ;D
Best of luck then. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2012, 17:55:44 »

Heard it all before, seen aftermath/butcher methods of the "excellent local garage".

Still, best of luck!  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.