Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re 2.5 bmw engine  (Read 766 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
Re 2.5 bmw engine
« on: 14 January 2013, 16:47:30 »

i bought my 2.5td just over 9yrs ago. it came from a garage that had a workshop, sold a few cars , & a seperate building with a shop & forecourt. the garage owner showed me a photo of a vintage speedboat he owned, a wooden carvel built job. he also told me that it was powered by two bmw 2.5 engines as is in the car i,d just purchased. i remember he also mentioned an issue he had with an injection pump & had been quoted £1200 for a new one. he told me that he had been a mechanic for 45yrs & managed to fix it himself, but didn,t elaborate how. hes now retired & the shop & petrol pumps are  now houses. tho i think is son still has the workshop. i would love to meet him again & ask him what he actually did to fix his pump.  :) p.s it was a rural garage near " Flamingoland" so most of his work were on diesels

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Re 2.5 bmw engine
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2013, 17:56:07 »

I thought BMW Marine engines are unrelated to BMW Automobile engines  ???

Diesel Magic in the fuel filter can cure a lot of ills in that pump. What are the symptoms, as there are different things that are obvious
Grumpy old man

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2013, 18:41:16 »

I thought BMW Marine engines are unrelated to BMW Automobile engines  ??

Diesel Magic in the fuel filter can cure a lot of ills in that pump. What are the symptoms, as there are different things that are obvious
i,m sure an enthusiast that knows what he,s doing can convert almost any engine to drive a boat. but i truly don,t really know. but ill see if i can find it via google

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2013, 18:46:24 »

I thought BMW Marine engines are unrelated to BMW Automobile engines  ??

i,m sure an enthusiast that knows what he,s doing can convert almost any engine to drive a boat. but i truly don,t really know. but ill see if i can find it via google
True, but BMW Marine do proper marine engines so that would always be the easy route.

Marine engines tend to produce bucketloads of torque at lower revs.  From memory, the speedboat we had years ago, powered by BMW Marine 2.0l petrol, redlined at 4 - 4.5k.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.