Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is this sensor exactly? will it cause a code when defective?  (Read 881 times)

firewalk

• Norway
    • Omega B
    • View Profile

See attached picture, I've placed a red circle around the sensor/connector in question. Mine has come apart. There are two tiny leads and what looks like a resistor inside and they have disconnected from whatever they were Attached to in the first Place.. so it's just hanging there..  What is this sensor exactly, and what does it do?

I did the paperclip test and the only codes I got was the air mass meter and the engine light itself.. which I suspect is related to the first. I tried disconnecting the air mass meter to see if the car would run any better but no change. I've driven like this for a few days but what has happened now is that I've got heavy smoke out the tailpipe... I tried reconnecting the air mass meter but no change. Still smokes alot! It's a grayeish/black/blue smoke.. difficult to say. I checked the oil Level and it was still at max, I don't think it's oil beeing burned. 

Idle is very lumpy and I have almost no Power, I really need to use the clutch allot in order to move the car the slightest. And whenever I let off the gas it just dies and I have to start it again.. Need to keep it alive With the gas pedal for several or it stalls, then I can ease my fot off it and it will sustain itself, but still very lumpy.

This sensor clarely has something to do With the EGR system right? But what does it do? Can I manage Without it, just disconnect it or do I need to buy a whole new part here? Will this thing throw a fault code on it's own? or can I leave it disconnected?
I'm wondering if it could somehow be related to my problems. I could not find any air leaks after the air mass meter, so I ordered a new one, but it has not arrived yet. Right now the car is undriveable. :(

If the EGR is somehow malfunctioning, is there any way I can temporarily disable it so that the exhaust gas won't enter the intake? Just for testing purposes while I wait for a New air mass meter.

Picture of the sensor in question:

Thanks! :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: What is this sensor exactly? will it cause a code when defective?
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2013, 22:06:23 »

Looks like 2.0l SAI solenoid.

As long as electrically connected, no issue
Grumpy old man

firewalk

• Norway
    • Omega B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2013, 19:42:09 »

Got my air mass meter today. Connected it and the fault code is gone now, so is the smoke.

But this solenoid is still not fixed. It's not causing any fault code though.
how will this not beeing Connected affect Things? The valve seem to Control that vacuum clock? Seems to me this has to do With the EGR system. But I don't know what happens when this is not hooked up. Will it stay open all the time or closed all the time? Any Ideas?

another Picture:

Close up:

As you can see, it has come apart and is unusable.. Car seems OK now, but I'd like to know if this is something serious that I should fix asap ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2013, 19:51:48 »

As said, its sai solenoid. As long as the ecu can see the coil of the solenoid, thats ok
Grumpy old man

albitz

« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2013, 20:14:28 »

Is it the same as V6 solenoids,or unique to the 4 pot ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.