Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any tips for removing paint from a beech fire surround  (Read 529 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Any tips for removing paint from a beech fire surround
« on: 21 November 2013, 21:30:42 »

As above really, it is currently removed to allow for wall papering of the chimney breast, the wall was breast was previously painted with the mantle/surround in place and it has tiny bits of paint on it; not me.... ::) As it is off I thought I would try and remove the paint before refitting; discuss............ ;) ;) :y

05omegav6

Re: Any tips for removing paint from a beech fire surround
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2013, 21:33:46 »

If it is actual, real beech, then a light sanding should sort it :y

If veneer, or sticky back vinyl (kitchen unit stylee) then careful use of decorators wipes, but don't rub too hard or you'll end up erasing the 'grain' :y

MR MISTER

« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2013, 21:37:07 »

If it is actual, real beech, then a light sanding should sort it :y

If veneer, or sticky back vinyl (kitchen unit stylee) then careful use of decorators wipes, but don't rub too hard or you'll end up erasing the 'grain' :y
Yep. Sand it all over as it's likely to be discoloured by now. Then revarnish if it's been varnished.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2013, 21:45:26 »

It is only a veneer, good quality but not enough to sand it properly, I was wondering about using fine wet/dry paper a tiny bit at a time..... :-\ :-\

The irony of it is that when the last decorators painted they said they could not lift it off, it was newly fitted, this time Mater Vamps and myself tried and off it came....... :y

MR MISTER

« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2013, 21:48:51 »

Veneer is a different kettle of fish. If it's just small dots, do it carefully with a good (small) scraper. And be careful, take your time.
If the first bits come off OK it will give you some idea of how much pressure to use.

Off you go.,

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2013, 21:50:40 »

Veneer is a different kettle of fish. If it's just small dots, do it carefully with a good (small) scraper. And be careful, take your time.
If the first bits come off OK it will give you some idea of how much pressure to use.

Off you go.,
Must have a temperature... agreed :y

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2013, 21:56:19 »

Off you go.,

Thanks Steve and Taxi, it's on my list of jobs for the weekend, had also thought about a razor blade....... :-\ :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.