Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which bike is faster?  (Read 1150 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Which bike is faster?
« on: 21 March 2011, 19:51:34 »

Which would be faster round a track ?

An RG500 Suzuki as ridden by one Mr B.Sheene in the late seventies and early eighties......or....... a modern  production sportsbike such as a Suzuki GSXR1000.

As a sad old bast*rd I'd hate to think that a spotty seventeen year old can pass his bike test and then ride a faster bike than my heroes such as Barry Sheene....Kenny Roberts and Randy Mamola..... :-/ 

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Which bike is faster?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2011, 20:41:53 »

Which would be faster round a track ?

An RG500 Suzuki as ridden by one Mr B.Sheene in the late seventies and early eighties......or....... a modern  production sportsbike such as a Suzuki GSXR1000.

As a sad old bast*rd I'd hate to think that a spotty seventeen year old can pass his bike test and then ride a faster bike than my heroes such as Barry Sheene....Kenny Roberts and Randy Mamola..... :-/ 

not sure about a correct answer but

1x seventeen year old spotty kid + 1 gsxr1000 = 0mph to coffin in about 2 weeks or less :( :(
Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2011, 20:47:52 »

I would say the GXR1000 would be faster. The RG500 although an awesome bike are a little dated now.

Although if Bazza was still alive I would put my money on him beating any spotty 17 year old on a GSXR1000 unless it was a spotty Valentino Rossi of course  ;D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2011, 21:06:34 »

RG would still probably be quicker round a track.

Anyway we all miss Barry

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2011, 21:16:00 »

My money would be on Martin on his 125 ;D
Retired

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2011, 02:06:42 »

Iirc MCN did a direct comparison about 10 years ago between Barrys old RG500 and a Honda Fireblade. The Fireblade was quite a lot faster than the RG500. Any of todays Litre sportsbikes are a lot faster than a Fireblade was 10 years ago.
Iirc the old RG500 was around 110bhp, and had very skinny tyres (and crap brakes). Todays sportsbikes are around 180bhp, with 180 or 190 section rear tyres, and brakes which could put the unwary over the bars, quicker than you could say "hamfisted".

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2011, 04:16:59 »

All the current crop of 600cc machines would wup Bazzas RG.

The original Gsxr 1000 put out 160bhp back in y2k .And brake systems require no more than a 2 fingered grab at most to achieve maximum braking effect with the back wheel waving in the air.

Car performance has improved considerably also though obviously.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2011, 13:37:44 »

Iirc MCN did a direct comparison about 10 years ago between Barrys old RG500 and a Honda Fireblade. The Fireblade was quite a lot faster than the RG500. Any of todays Litre sportsbikes are a lot faster than a Fireblade was 10 years ago.
Iirc the old RG500 was around 110bhp, and had very skinny tyres (and crap brakes). Todays sportsbikes are around 180bhp, with 180 or 190 section rear tyres, and brakes which could put the unwary over the bars, quicker than you could say "hamfisted".

Yes Albs. I seem to recall figures of 110/120 BHP back in the seventies. But I believe that the RG500  weighed little more than 115kg dry. So it's power to weight ratio is probably pretty similar.

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2011, 14:40:18 »

Power /weight ratio is similar to a litre road bike of today. Approx 1bhp/1kg.Tyres/brakes/suspension/chassis design has moved forward in huge leaps and bounds in the intervening years though.
The old bike would take more skill and guts to ride fast though imo. Skinny tyres, crap brakes, frame made from plasticine, and a vicious 2 stroke power band (more like an on/off switch) all conspire to make it a widowmaker of a bike.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 14:43:09 by albitz »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2011, 15:11:41 »

My money would be on Martin on his 125 ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2011, 15:22:20 »

Power /weight ratio is similar to a litre road bike of today. Approx 1bhp/1kg.Tyres/brakes/suspension/chassis design has moved forward in huge leaps and bounds in the intervening years though.
The old bike would take more skill and guts to ride fast though imo. Skinny tyres, crap brakes, frame made from plasticine, and a vicious 2 stroke power band (more like an on/off switch) all conspire to make it a widowmaker of a bike.

.....always hankered after a Kawasaki 500/750 two stroke triple from the seventies..... :y :y :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2011, 15:29:32 »

Kin eck,

I tend to use what whatever power I have available to its maximum.(When I am in the mood)

My Slyvia turbo in it's day impressed me with it's handling and would have benifitted nicely from an extra 50BHP+ as it only had 135 back then.  It was a hellofalot faster to a ton up the the 3.0 mig, both would sit at 125mph all day long - but 180 bhp on a sportsbike is mind boggling, just wondering how much power the elite would need just to have the same power to weight ratio.  (Hello Rats Omega  ::))
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2011, 15:32:19 »

I have ridden both back in the day (and came off the 500 and lived to tell the tale).Imo the 500 was the more exciting of the two. Handled worse, brakes were worse, and the power came in all at once. It was a bit like being kicked by a horse, while halfway round a bend.Front wheel trying to head skywards, while the swingarm was tying itself in knots.
Remember going flat out down a long straight, speedo reading around 125 and the bloody thing was determined to wander across into the oncoming line of traffic.
Seemed like fun at the time. ::)

Ironically, it was a little KH250 which almost killed me. Although to be fair it wasnt reallt its fault. Much alcohol (it was 1976) and the rear end of a stationary car cant really be blamed on the bike. :-[
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 15:35:01 by albitz »

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2011, 15:35:27 »

I have ridden both back in the day (and came off the 500 and lived to tell the tale).Imo the 500 was the more exciting of the two. Handled worse, brakes were worse, and the power came in all at once. It was a bit like being kicked by a horse, while halfway round a bend.Front wheel trying to head skywards, while the swingarm was tying itself in knots.
Remember going flat out down a long straight, speedo reading around 125 and the bloody thing was determined to wander across into the oncoming line of traffic.

You and I clearly have a very different definition of fun.. ;D

albitz

« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2011, 15:36:48 »

Kin eck,

I tend to use what whatever power I have available to its maximum.(When I am in the mood)

My Slyvia turbo in it's day impressed me with it's handling and would have benifitted nicely from an extra 50BHP+ as it only had 135 back then.  It was a hellofalot faster to a ton up the the 3.0 mig, both would sit at 125mph all day long - but 180 bhp on a sportsbike is mind boggling, just wondering how much power the elite would need just to have the same power to weight ratio.  (Hello Rats Omega  ::))

Upwards of 1600bhp. ;) :o.......that would be nice. :)
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 15:40:14 by albitz »

albitz

« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2011, 15:42:54 »

You and I clearly have a very different definition of fun.. ;D
Well, I was only 16. We tend to feel invincible at that age. ::) ;D
My early biking period was cut short 16 days before my 17th birthday, which was a shame. I could have been legal and everything. :D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.