Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 80's cars....  (Read 2467 times)

Kiksomass

• Northampton
  • Its all about the bass!
    • View Profile
80's cars....
« on: 19 February 2010, 06:50:07 »

Having had several Vauxhalls over the years, one of my faves was a black mk1 Astra GTE. You just don't see them now. 80's cars had so much more character. Got some pics somewhere, which is telling because I have none of the miggy! :(
Growing old is inevitable....growing up is OPTIONAL!

Kiksomass

• Northampton
    • View Profile

mantahatch

Re: 80's cars....
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2010, 07:50:12 »

I like mk1 GTE, I still have a set of those wheels including brand new centre caps in my shed.

As you can probably tell from my name I used to drive Opel Manta's. I gave up when trying to fight the rust becam an almost daily job.

With the Astra GTE a lot of them where used and abused and crashed. the few remaining are kept by enthusiasts and probably only go to shows or the odd weekend trip out.

Kiksomass

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2010, 08:01:10 »

I like mk1 GTE, I still have a set of those wheels including brand new centre caps in my shed.

As you can probably tell from my name I used to drive Opel Manta's. I gave up when trying to fight the rust becam an almost daily job.

With the Astra GTE a lot of them where used and abused and crashed. the few remaining are kept by enthusiasts and probably only go to shows or the odd weekend trip out.
Now there is a car, Opel manta 8-), they looked great the GTE period. Black or White was best,red was ok and not many were silver.I know what you mean about rust though, the Astra was getting bad around the wing at the base of the aerial.

waspy

« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2010, 08:01:19 »

Come the spring, summer & they'll appear from out of the garages.
As you say,the rust was a major problem with early vehicles of pretty much all makes :(

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2010, 09:45:02 »

I loved my '83 Pug GTI. Back in the days when you could make a car out of Stick paper, sellotape and glue. Back then 110 BHP was massive!

The Mark 2 Astra 8v with the digital dash was, by far, the worst car I've ever owned.

Ddraigcymro

• South Wales
  • Hate the game not the player!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2010, 11:55:26 »

Big ford fan I was the good old XR4i not to be mistaken for the sierra cosi that had no back piller before the qpanel glass. but as the name reads F O R D it stood for either fix or repare daly or in my case they all endid up Found On Road Dead ::)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Elite

• Ellesmere Port
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2010, 12:42:40 »

Big ford fan I was the good old XR4i not to be mistaken for the sierra cosi that had no back piller before the qpanel glass. but as the name reads F O R D it stood for either fix or repare daly or in my case they all endid up Found On Road Dead ::)
My first car was a 1986 Ford Sierra 1.6 Lazer. I loved it but the rust got the better of it in the end :'(

Ddraigcymro

• South Wales
  • Hate the game not the player!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2010, 13:01:31 »

Never had a rust problem with my xr`s but my Capri laser and the 2.8 that frightened the bajebas out of my (nearly ended up in the harbor in porthcawl backwards) it was hard to tell where the rest began and the paint stopped lol I only owned two other sierra`s one twin cam that had a blown HG so put in a single and left the ally box in it, the other i swapped a cav GLSi for. just wanted the engine and on further strip down discovered I had butchered a perfectly good car oops. (live and lern A)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2010, 14:15:22 »

Had a MkII GTE.  Looked load, actually it went OK (but was on rev limiter at 129mph in top), but really, really didn't do corners.

Had a lot of fun in that car.  Sold it after a year, as I was fed up with the hassles involved in owning one.
Grumpy old man

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2010, 19:58:35 »

im going to be sad here my first car was a chevette 1.3 estate that car was indestructable I blew head gasket doing 103mph :o ;D down the M9 it just kept going for another 8months on 3 pots then fell to bits no supprise there ;D ;D
them came the real boys toy the 1.8 berlaneta

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2010, 20:10:09 »

im going to be sad here my first car was a chevette 1.3 estate that car was indestructable I blew head gasket doing 103mph :o ;D down the M9 it just kept going for another 8months on 3 pots then fell to bits no supprise there ;D ;D

I always fancied a Berlinetta when I was younger but just couldn't afford the insurance  :(
My first hot hatch was a Daihatsu Charade GTti (3 cylinder 1.0 injection with a turbo)it was hilarious about 7 seconds to 60 ! daren't even think about it nowadays they were held together by rust.
Don't wee on the electric fence

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2010, 20:17:20 »

Nothing sad here in my book. Shovitts were cracking little motors. Nippy for what they were & handled better than any Viva. I had 3 as road cars & raced a few in prodstox (baby bangers) when i was down south. I love 'em! :y 8-)
Curry makes the world go round!

Bixy1

• Intermediate Member
  • Leeds. West Yorks.
  • Hanging by a thread . . .
    • Diesel Vectra eventually.
    • View Profile
    • Cats Tails
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2010, 20:19:52 »

This is really sad.........first car, FB Victor VX490.  Sidestripe, Upside down T shape rear lights, 4 on the floor, individual front seats, ally head,(warped!) twin carbs......£50.  Lasted about a year before head gasket and rings in no4 cyl went.  Front wings mostly plastic padding .....those were the days.. ;D
Cats Tails (The Adventures of Rommy and Reemy)
http://sbpra.com/derektmorgan

Martin_1962

« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2010, 20:39:31 »

Best 1980s car I had was a 1987 Carlton 2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.