Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New clutch fitted  (Read 782 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
New clutch fitted
« on: 29 December 2006, 16:08:20 »

Just picked the car up after having the replacement clutch kit fitted, what a difference it has made. The bite point used to be near the top of the pedal travel, now it's around the middle or possibly even a little lower. Almost stalled when driving away as I'm so used to dropping the pedal 80% of its travel before anything happens ;D.

In addition, the action is noticeably lighter than before. I'm a bit surprised by this as I didn't think it would be affected by the clutch change as the hydraulics are unchanged other than new fluid and being bled. Maybe the old fluid was past it or it needed bled, but either way I've no complaints.

Finally and most importantly, I can actually plant the gas pedal at 2500 RPM without the revs flying up much faster than the car accelerates as the multi-ram kicks in. No more pussy-footing about feeding in the power gradually to give the clutch a chance to keep up, I've been wary of damaging the flywheel while the clutch was slipping so usually erred on the side of caution but occassionally it was a nightmare trying to accelerate out of busy junctions getting the balance between too little power (slow!) or too much power (clutch slip, also slow!). All-in a great improvement.

Next up, new front drop links, plug leads and possibly rocker gaskets. Also ordered a new EGR gasket amongst other things at the local stealer, they won't be in until next Friday (and even then I wouldn't be surprised if they're not there when I appear).

STMO123

Re: New clutch fitted
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2006, 16:11:38 »

You ARE a happy chap Paul. I take it Vx didn't do it then?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2006, 16:11:48 »

Glad its made it more drivable, and undoubtedly more fun.

Obviously a new set of friction plates help, but sounds like the fluid did need changing pretty badly.

:y
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2006, 16:55:34 »

Cheers guys, yes I am a happy chappy, and no VX didn't do it :y Genuine VX clutch kit though, the parts are good I just don't trust their spanner monkeys nor their price list ::)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2006, 17:44:53 »

Glad that turned into a good result  :y

I found that on my VeccyB when it had a recon gearbox and new clutch kit fitted......clutch was a lot lighter.....i just put it down to new clutch.....but then the old g/b oil had done 150k miles so that might have been it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.