Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

3.2..Minor idle problem

(1/2) > >>

johndm1957:
My idle speed is just a small bit unstable, and if I've been say on cruise at 50 or 60, when I flick the cruise off, revs drop to 500/600 on overrun, then recovers to around 1500.

Any ideas chaps?

Auto Addict:
ICV and breathers need a clean?

Fuel filter?

johndm1957:
Thought it might just be the air filter...choking the engine a little with high vacuum on overrun??

Markjay:
As far as I know, if it is a 2.6 or 3.2 there isn’t much you can do mechanically as the car has Drive-by-Wire and the idle speed is electronically controlled by the ECU – i.e. there is no ICV valve to clean.

Air filter is tenner on TC, worth replacing annually in spite of Vx 2 and 4 years service schedule….

Check also for vacuum leaks, split or disconnected vacuum pipes, etc - any hissing noises?

Leaky exhaust manifold? You would have heard it if it did though…

Also, make sure that the problem is only while idling, and not under power – which could open a range of other possibilities such as coil packs, injectors, fuel filter etc.

johndm1957:

--- Quote ---As far as I know, if it is a 2.6 or 3.2 there isn’t much you can do mechanically as the car has Drive-by-Wire and the idle speed is electronically controlled by the ECU – i.e. there is no ICV valve to clean.

Air filter is tenner on TC, worth replacing annually in spite of Vx 2 and 4 years service schedule….

Check also for vacuum leaks, split or disconnected vacuum pipes, etc - any hissing noises?

Leaky exhaust manifold? You would have heard it if it did though…

Also, make sure that the problem is only while idling, and not under power – which could open a range of other possibilities such as coil packs, injectors, fuel filter etc.

--- End quote ---

No sign of any vac leaks, smooth as silk when cruise engaged at any speed. Maybe I'm paranoid, the tach only moves a few RPM on idle, but my previous 2 Omegas were rock steady at idle. No hissy noises or exhaust leaks, but the dip/recovery of RPM on overrun is strange.
I guess 99% of people would'nt even notice!

I'll do the airfilter ASAP. Due for a service in July, and as one service is missing from the history, I'll get fuel filter done too... :y

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version