Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega B and C Front End Panels  (Read 759 times)

SonicMarmalade

• View Profile
Omega B and C Front End Panels
« on: 21 February 2007, 00:49:37 »

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 3.0 manual elite, and am pondering maybe a 3.2 facelift one. The problem is, I prefer the front end look of the older models. Is it possible to change bonnet, headlights, and grill (and maybe more parts), for that of the older Omega B, and is it a straightforward job to do it? Or does anyone make an aftermarket bonnet/grill for the Omega C where the upper edge of the grill is in line with the upper edge of the headlights so it doesn't look as odd.

Ta for any help.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Omega B and C Front End Panels
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2007, 01:13:09 »

Welcome to the forum SonicMarmalade.

1. As no doubt others will point out, there has only ever been Vauxhall Omega B. The term Omega C is sometimes used to describe the post-2000 'facelift', and on these forums we mainly refer to is as 'facelift' rather than Omega C.

2. In my opinion it should be possible to swap parts between pre-facelift and facelift models - but there will be a lot of them, e.g. bumper with washer bottle, headlights, fog lights, many more - this means lots of bits and lots of work - and to be honest I can't see that it would be worth it. The result would be a very odd car to the eye...

3. Going the other way round, i.e. fitting 3.2 engine to a pre-facelift car, is not straightforward either - different engine management means that the ECU, loom and sensors have to go as well, including the exhaust with the two lambda sensors... again not simple to do, and while not impossible probably not worth it.

Incidentally, the 3.2 engine isn’t dramatically better than the 3.0, it is indeed a little higher on BHP and torque but in fact it has lower compression ratio than the 3.0 (10.0 as opposed to 10.8), and only makes up for this by tighter management with more electronics and improved ignition/injection etc – all done to reduce emissions.

Also, the 3.0 can be chipped – see M-tek Performance in this forum - while the 3.2 can’t (the chip on the 3.2 is flashable and integrated into the ECU, so can’t be simply swapped as with the older ECUs – any remapping need to be done on the car using Tech2, so not impossible but more complicated to do and due to lack of demand not currently available)

I suggest that you simply find a ready-made Omega to suit your taste - they are in ample supply and don't cost very much.... a nice MV6 ex-plod 3.2 manual on Y or 02 plates, or an Elite 3.0 Auto on S/T plates (i.e. 'mini-facelift')... and if you want more power than talk to M-tek.

« Last Edit: 21 February 2007, 01:15:48 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2007, 08:53:33 »

Nothing really to add to Markjays reply.

However, I think if you go transplanting body panels, you may have hassles selling car when that time comes...
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2007, 09:31:22 »

Also you may have a heck of a job getting insurance if you tried changing the front end.

Finding a manual 3.0 in Elite trim will be very difficult. I have only ever seen 2 and the newest was a 1998 model.
Manual MV6 is not easy to find either...

The facelift models only came as autos in 3.2 form aside of some police models which had a manual box.

It all depends on what type of driver you are.

If you like more involvement and want to push the car every so often, go for a manual MV6.
If you prefer the creature comforts and don't tend to go looking for the limits of grip then go for an auto Elite. :)

The Administrator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.