Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jacking/Axle stand Points  (Read 1327 times)

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Jacking/Axle stand Points
« on: 22 February 2007, 00:15:53 »

I saw a number of posts on this but couldn't find a tech guide/photos which I think would be enormously helpful.

I'm very nervous about supporting the car (esp with me under it) anywhere that is not intended to take the load,  but the problem is to position stand while the jack is in situ (and vice versa).  I've tried all sorts of proceedures with jack at angle,  iterating between jack and stand until I'm happy etc but all timeconsuming and less than ideal.    (and I still can't get my meaty stands in at all - I have to use the little ones from machine mart)

Pics on how it should be done would be great!

Cheers

Ian

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Jacking/Axle stand Points
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2007, 08:07:20 »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2007, 08:24:41 »

Nice picture, but I suspect it's the back end that's the problem.

Anyone got a picture?

MJ?
I like red cars

jamie

• Newtown, Powys
  • "Say 'ello to my little MV6, maricon"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2007, 09:40:29 »

Great picture.  8-) Thats exactly how I put mine up on stands, however I also have some ramps that are useless as ramps due to the front valance/air dam, but once on stands I place these under the car across each side of the floor pans.  This adds some extra safety, if in the unlikely event things go badly wrong, rather damage the underside than damage me!  :'( (I have learned to do this when working on my XJ6, this is a lot bigger and heavier than the MV6).  Also watch out for rot (not likely on omega).
Obviously only do it on a flat surface, and watch out for tarmac, as I have seen cheaper 2T stands with less spread, dig in at the corners and become unstable with XJ6s.  Call me over cautious, but its not worth killing yourself :'(
MV6 3.0L  XJ40 3.6L Sovereign (Galaxy Tdi130)
My non commercial Projects http://www.iecd.co.uk/ScratchPad/Projects/NonCon.htm

Some Pictures
http://www.iecd.co.uk/ScratchPad/temp/

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2007, 11:26:47 »

I remember jacking up my XJ6 with a couple of sissor jacks. Fortuantely I hadn't taken the wheels off because the jacks simply couldn't take the weight and collapsed. From then on, if I am going under the car, I ALWAYS use stands, and having put the car up on the stands, I always push the car side to make sure its stable, and they aren't going to slip. When I take off a wheel, I always put it under the car, so if it falls, it will fall on the wheel, which will save the brake disc, and possibly me!. Also look at the quality of the stands you are buying. Good ones are a bit more expensive, but.....
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2007, 17:00:59 »

I lifted a FWD car once at the back using scissors jack, the handbrake was not on and the car was in neutral (doh) so it rolled forward... with the jack wedged keeping the car in the air leaning on the jack and no way of getting it out. Luckily it was a FWD car, so I drove it forward (made horrific grinding noises) until it cleared the jack.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2007, 17:06:42 »

Also, it seems that the undercarriage is coated with some polymer-type coating, when using a jack or axle stands try to be careful not to scratch it and expose the metal, or rust will eventually set it…
Alas, no more Omegas....

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2007, 21:09:38 »

Nice pic tunnie, thanks.  As recall the back was the more difficult (but memory may be failing me).

So just to confirm , it is ok to support the car on the longitudinal chassis members? (with suitable protection of course)

Cheers,

Ian  (one of the great things about this place is you realise you are not alone, vsv in this case the problems with the front dam fouling on ramps! been there, frigged around with planks in front etc etc.  Also never really found a good way of stopping the ramp from sliding backwards)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2007, 21:30:15 »

Also never really found a good way of stopping the ramp from sliding backwards)

I made myself some 'ladders' about 1' long out of 1" angle that I hook/rest on the 2nd or 3rd rung of my ramps. I made them years ago for my Senators as they wouldn't go on ramps either - bottom of the spoiler hit the top of the ramp way before the wheel touched the ramp. I always use them now though, whether I reverse up the ramp or the car being driven forwards on the ramp will clear them. It makes the rate of climb a lot less, although the increased length makes it really important to line them up parallel
« Last Edit: 22 February 2007, 21:31:46 by Andy_B »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2007, 21:54:19 »

i want to get myself a big jack, I found it so much easier when i borrowed a 'propper' jack!

Pop it under the bonnet, jack it on cross-beam get it nice and high. Axel stands at either corner, lower.... job done.

Much better than the tiny POS jack i have!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2007, 12:14:51 »

i want to get myself a big jack, I found it so much easier when i borrowed a 'propper' jack!

Pop it under the bonnet, jack it on cross-beam get it nice and high. Axel stands at either corner, lower.... job done.

Much better than the tiny POS jack i have!

Im not in favour of this idea Tunnie, the subframe is intended to support the weight of the engine etc and its mounting bushes are under tension. If you lift the car on the crossbeam you will be putting the bushes under compression with the weight of the car body....they arnt designed to cope with this.

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2007, 13:24:34 »

i want to get myself a big jack!

Some ones got to say it!!

Why is he good with cars???

For the younger readers thats 'big Jack' Charlton  ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.