Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cruise brake switch  (Read 2454 times)

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
Cruise brake switch
« on: 15 January 2007, 15:59:37 »

I decided to fit the new brake switch for the cruise control and my plug only has two wires in it, black and yellow/black (I think). I can't see two more wires taped up anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where to look or what colours they are?

I have the loom for the module and the four pin plug for the stalk so I assume the wires will be in there somewhere but I can't see them.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Cruise brake switch
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2007, 17:54:29 »

I decided to fit the new brake switch for the cruise control and my plug only has two wires in it, black and yellow/black (I think). I can't see two more wires taped up anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where to look or what colours they are?

I have the loom for the module and the four pin plug for the stalk so I assume the wires will be in there somewhere but I can't see them.
Every one I have seen already has the 4 pin socket for the 4 pin switch  :-?
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2007, 19:18:36 »

Every one I have seen already has the 4 pin socket for the 4 pin switch  :-?
Oh it's a 4 pin socket, it's just that it only has 2 pins and 2 wires fitted  :(
There is a yellow clip securing the pins in so if I can find the missing wires I can fit them. I can't believe the stalk and cruise module plugs and wiring loom are in position and these aren't in there somewhere. There is even a large socket tie wrapped near the back of the fuse panel so there is lots of 'spares' in there  :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2007, 20:19:50 »

Checked the piccy in the how to guide ( http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1166374649 ) and it certainly shows 4 wires.  If you check the link, you can possibly make out the wiring colours to help your quest....

HtH

B

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2007, 22:07:00 »

Weird, mine had a 4-pin socket with 4 wires, but the switch itself had only 2 pins. Just swapped them over (after begrudgingly paying VX £18 for the damn thing, plus another £10 for a clutch switch) and it worked.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2007, 22:17:31 »

Checked the piccy in the how to guide ( http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1166374649 ) and it certainly shows 4 wires.  If you check the link, you can possibly make out the wiring colours to help your quest....

HtH

B
Unfortunately I'm colour blind and the pic of the wires is too glary for me. If you aren't colour blind you won't know but for me if I know what a colour is supposed to be I can see it. The problem is in my brain and not my eyes it seems, if someone points out red berries on a Holly bush to me I can see them clearly but the lot looks green to me until then. If you, or anyone can make out those colours for me I may stand a chance of finding something in the car, then again I may not. The two wires I have are wrapped the same as those in the pic so the loom was made this. Looking at the Haynes wiring diagrams one end should go to position 'D' (I think) in the module plug so I will have a look and see what's in there. The other wire goes through S45 (the clutch switch - and mines an auto) to one of the fuses and also splits off before the clutch switch to the automatic transmition wiring, K85 pin 37(?), not much hope of following that one.

The trouble is there isn't much room for a stiff old man to work under there   :(
« Last Edit: 15 January 2007, 22:24:57 by rpont »

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2007, 22:23:31 »

Weird, mine had a 4-pin socket with 4 wires, but the switch itself had only 2 pins. Just swapped them over (after begrudgingly paying VX £18 for the damn thing, plus another £10 for a clutch switch) and it worked.
I bought the switch without looking to see if it already had a 4 pin one but the last problem I expected was to have 2 of the wires missing  :-?

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2007, 22:43:23 »

HtH

B
Unfortunately I'm colour blind and the pic of the wires is too glary for me. If you aren't colour blind you won't know but for me if I know what a colour is supposed to be I can see it. The problem is in my brain and not my eyes it seems, if someone points out red berries on a Holly bush to me I can see them clearly but the lot looks green to me until then. If you, or anyone can make out those colours for me I may stand a chance of finding something in the car, then again I may not. The two wires I have are wrapped the same as those in the pic so the loom was made this. Looking at the Haynes wiring diagrams one end should go to position 'D' (I think) in the module plug so I will have a look and see what's in there. The other wire goes through S45 (the clutch switch - and mines an auto) to one of the fuses and also splits off before the clutch switch to the automatic transmition wiring, K85 pin 37(?), not much hope of following that one.

The trouble is there isn't much room for a stiff old man to work under there   :(

From the blurry pic wires seem to be : (Wide stripe first)

White/black
Yellow/black
Black/Yellow
Black/Blue

Never heard of anyone using their stiff old man to work under there before - but if it works for you who am I to comment  ;D ;D
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2007, 10:56:43 »

White/black
Yellow/black
Black/Yellow
Black/Blue

Thanks for that, I can see which ones are which in the photo now. Unfortunately the only one I have in those colours is the Black/Yellow or Yellow/Black. The other one in mine looks to be Black only, there definately isnt any of that lighter blue or white on it.

It's deffinately a Yellow and something at pin D of the module plug. I assume that wire will go directly to the brake switch so now I know I'm looking for an unconnected Yellow and something with possibly a White/Black.

Maybe I should give up on cruise control and have a bash at fitting ECC. I seem to have the loom and servo connectors for that...

I'll see if I can borrow the neighbours camera and get some shots of under the dash.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2007, 11:47:41 by rpont »

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2007, 17:47:57 »

White/black
Yellow/black
Black/Yellow
Black/Blue

Thanks for that, I can see which ones are which in the photo now. Unfortunately the only one I have in those colours is the Black/Yellow or Yellow/Black. The other one in mine looks to be Black only, there definately isnt any of that lighter blue or white on it.

It's deffinately a Yellow and something at pin D of the module plug. I assume that wire will go directly to the brake switch so now I know I'm looking for an unconnected Yellow and something with possibly a White/Black.

Maybe I should give up on cruise control and have a bash at fitting ECC. I seem to have the loom and servo connectors for that...

I'll see if I can borrow the neighbours camera and get some shots of under the dash.

The blue is a dark blue - so the one that is all black to you is likely to be black/blue. I hope that helps.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2007, 20:00:07 »

Pin 4 - Black - 12V from Fuse F2 fo brake lights
Pin 3 - Black/Yellow - Switched feed to brake lights
Pin 2 - Black/Yellow - From Auto Box
Pin 1 - Black/Yellow - To Cruise control

To test its working, connect a strap from F to D on the cruise module....this bypasses the brake and autobox/clutch switch.

Interestingly, I found on an auto that you didn't need to fit a brake switch, you could just short the two wires together as the auto box tripped the cruise off when the brake pedal was pressed!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2007, 20:08:00 »

Interestingly, I found on an auto that you didn't need to fit a brake switch, you could just short the two wires together as the auto box tripped the cruise off when the brake pedal was pressed!
That didn't work on my MV6 when I first fitted cruise (and had wrong switch)...  ...unless my paperclip wasn't making a decent connection...
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2007, 22:15:56 »

Pin 4 - Black - 12V from Fuse F2 fo brake lights
Pin 3 - Black/Yellow - Switched feed to brake lights
Pin 2 - Black/Yellow - From Auto Box
Pin 1 - Black/Yellow - To Cruise control

To test its working, connect a strap from F to D on the cruise module....this bypasses the brake and autobox/clutch switch.

Those colours match what I've got together with the Black/Yellow on D at the cruise module.

Is it possible that the cruise brake switch wires are already jumpered somehow and that's why there is no trace of them? Any idea why the different colours in the picture in the other thread?

I think the best thing may be to wait until I can get it on the road and see if it works.

spiketheskinnydog

• Mid Glamorgan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2007, 14:58:25 »

I've had the same thing on my 1997 Reflection - only 2 wires going to the brake switch plug - there's a separate chat thingy here about it somewhere.
Anyway, I've spent the morning fitting my cruise indicator arm and cruise unit, and bridged the clutch switch as a temporary measure, and found that everything works properly and cuts out with a touch or the brake switch or the indicator arm  - no doubt cluch switch would work fine when I get around to fiting one!
It would seem that if you've got 4 wires into the brake switch plug you need the 4 blade brake switch, and if you've only got 2 wires the standard switch is fine - at least thats my experience!

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2007, 17:06:46 »

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope mines the same, thanks for letting me know.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2007, 21:36:17 »

Poll about it in General Chat
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2007, 08:33:40 »

I just took mine down for it's MOT and tried the cruise control - IT WORKS  ;D

Touched the brakes and it disengaged instantly so it does get the message even though there are only two wires to the brake switch.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.