Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Lowering  (Read 2138 times)

sjc59

• View Profile
Omega Lowering
« on: 20 February 2007, 18:59:29 »

Hi guys looking to uprate the suspension on the omega got a few questions can anyone recomend a good set up on a budget, plus its an esate are the setups different between saloon and estate? Also will a 2000 reg ex police mv6 estate have the self leveling rear suspension?

Any help would be good?

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Lowering
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2007, 20:22:04 »

to my knowledge, the front springs are the same - but the back ones are different between estate and saloon. Shocks might be self-levelling - have a look for the air pipe connected to them ...

sjc59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2007, 21:15:40 »

Cheers mate any info one where i can get a cheap but still good setup from?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2007, 22:37:20 »

Depends on your budget really....

The shocks and springs are very different on the saloon & estate.
It all depends on whether you want to go with original height or lower.

If lowering, look at some Eibach springs (£150 ish for a set).

As for shocks, well I have ordered some Bilsteins at £172 delivered for all 4 from Balance Motorsport.
Once fitted I will report on them (they are going with a set of Irsmscher springs on a 98 MV6).

Oh and a 2000 ex plod may well have self levelling rear shocks. Just look at them, the giveaway is the air pipe going on to the side.

The Administrator.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2007, 11:37:25 »

What front struts would you use with levelling rears?  I'm getting that diagonal wobble  >:(
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

sjc59

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2007, 11:38:54 »

Ok let mw know how your setup goes, wont be doing mine just yet, just getting the facts so when i do have the money i can get it sorted asap.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2007, 11:42:43 »

What front struts would you use with levelling rears?  I'm getting that diagonal wobble  >:(

Bilsteins.....or Vx....the wobble is probably becasue the strutts are buggered....

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
  • Catskill, New York, USA
  • Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2007, 17:25:57 »

How do lowering springs affect the camber? More to the positive or the negative? Are those Alignment Bolts I see on eBay necessary? And are those springs stiffer than stock, ot are they the same? I'd like to lower my car but don't want to give up the ride and handling I enjoy now. I have a 2001 Catera Sport which is supposed to have a suspension similar to the MV6. Is that the sport version of the Omega?

I'll shut up now.

Elvin
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball, If that's all there is

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2007, 22:33:35 »

Bilsteins.....or Vx....the wobble is probably becasue the strutts are buggered....
Cheers, I guess I'll start checking prices.  The back feels ok, but the front is very soft.  Especially the ns, which makes sense.  Are there strut mounts/bearings to worry about?  The bolts are all that won't be replaced at this rate!  ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2007, 08:50:23 »

How do lowering springs affect the camber? More to the positive or the negative? Are those Alignment Bolts I see on eBay necessary? And are those springs stiffer than stock, ot are they the same? I'd like to lower my car but don't want to give up the ride and handling I enjoy now. I have a 2001 Catera Sport which is supposed to have a suspension similar to the MV6. Is that the sport version of the Omega?

I'll shut up now.

Elvin

Depends on the springs....the irmscher spring rates are similar to standard but 30mm shorter so would not have a major impact on the ride quality......similarly the Bilsteins give a similar ride quality to....hence the recommendation.

Basicaly, better handlig due to lower centre of gravity and the new shocks (most are past their best by the time they have done 50K miles).

Front camber can be set on the car (using the bottom strutt bolts) and the rear is not massively affected due to the position of the spring on the trailing arm.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2007, 08:51:00 »

Cheers, I guess I'll start checking prices.  The back feels ok, but the front is very soft.  Especially the ns, which makes sense.  Are there strut mounts/bearings to worry about?  The bolts are all that won't be replaced at this rate!  ::)

There are top bearings, if you can get them cheap enough then change them.....they dont tend to cause to much trouble though.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2007, 09:10:46 »

There are top bearings, if you can get them cheap enough then change them.....they dont tend to cause to much trouble though.
Thanks for the help, the steering seems much better now with the tightened steering box.  Maybe my wishbones aren't as bad as I thought!  

The bad news is all my shocks are shot.  So the Q becomes,

1) Vx fronts and Vx air rears (£230),
2) Bilstein fronts and Vx air rears (£260), or
3) all Bilsteins and disconnect air system (£175)?

I like a good handling car, it is REALLY floaty at the moment, but I don't toss it around a lot and I want it to be comfortable on the motorway.  I bought it for long trips.  I am tempted by option #2.  I am worried that #3 would be too stiff.  

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2007, 13:07:21 »

BTT

Now I'm thinking option 1
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.