Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet Headlight  (Read 1384 times)

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
Wet Headlight
« on: 02 March 2007, 09:55:56 »

Spent last night trying to dry out the lens on the passenger side headlight but there is still some condensation showing this morning. I cannot see any cracks in the lens and can only guess that the water got into the unit when washing the car last weekend and maybe just caught it wrong with the pressure washer.

It looks as though I will need to take the headlight out to get it dried off properly can anyone shed some light (sorry pun intended) as to how to remove the unit as the mounts seem to be different to the pre-facelift. Main points are the likes of the removal of the trim panel below the light as I cannot see any screws and can the lens be removed from the light as it looks as though it is only clipped on.

Thanks,
Steve

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
Re: Wet Headlight
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2007, 10:30:44 »

The lens can be removed, but not easily as it's held in with copious amounts of Sikaflex type sealant. A stanley knife will cut through it though and the lens can be carefully prised away.

Are the rubber covers over the bulb holes at the back on correctly? Water can easily get in here, also a good place to use a hair dryer to get warm air in to dry them out.
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2007, 12:19:18 »

All the rubber covers including the seal between the light and the bonnet are in place so the only other entry point would be between the lens and the body.

I'll get the battery out if needs be and get the hair dryer in the main beam bulb hole, it has HID dipped, and see if I can get it finnished off. The only reason I asked about the lens is it is marked inside where the condensation has been dried off, like rain marks, but can be lived with.

Thanks,

Steve

bigall

• merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2007, 13:11:35 »

Similar problem with mine after going to a carwash with a very powerful washing lance.
I got rid of most of the condensation by warming the glass carefully with a hair dryer on low heat about 6ins from the glass. Water droplets formed on the inside of the lens glass and ran to the bottom - took a long time for the tidemarks from the droplets to disappear 3 to 4 weeks

I dont use that carwash anymore.
I drive a moneypit Omega - at least its comfortable!!!!!  200k approaching rapidly!!!!!!!!! "") (must change oil soon)

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2007, 20:39:59 »

I'm not sure what your driving Steve but I've had two passenger units replaced under warranty on mine and one on my previous W plate - also passenger side.

Vauxhall won't acknowlege fault but it seems to be a weak spot for me.  :-/

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2007, 21:49:57 »

Chopsdad,

I doubt if my warranty from Arnold C will cover it but I'll have a look, thanks. I drive a 2.2DTI Elite Estate with a couple of extra bits.

Can anyone tell me how the headlight and trim is removed as it is as bad again tonight so I'll need to give it another go tomorrow.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.