Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What discs to write to for...  (Read 2715 times)

feeutfo

What discs to write to for...
« on: 09 November 2008, 17:35:11 »

for the 2015 cd player/Nav.(not the changer) Just put, er, not music  ::) on a cdr and it spits it back out. Whats the best disc to use? Or am i wasteing my time? Ta

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: What discs to write to for...
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2008, 17:40:37 »

for the 2015 cd player/Nav.(not the changer) Just put, er, not music  ::) on a cdr and it spits it back out. Whats the best disc to use? Or am i wasteing my time? Ta
They don't like CDRs.

If music compilations, I burn at 1x on Verbatim media.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2008, 17:52:11 »

cheers ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2008, 17:56:06 »

remember, these units do not like cdrs, and yours spitting disks out suggests the laser is tired (probably due to too many cdrs ;))
Grumpy old man

oceansoul

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunbury on Thames - Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2008, 20:17:57 »

whats the difference between CDRs and regular CDs then??

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2008, 20:36:08 »

There are many differences about construction, materials used, layers etc etc, but teh main difference is that the recordable discs use much smaller "dots" and closer "Tracks" to record the data.

The older CD players were never designed to focus on something this small, and basically they are straining so hard to du so that they wear out prematurely.

This was covered in quite some detail a few months ago, maybe someone else can find and post a link to the thread?

Bottom line though, don`t use modern CDR`s on old CD players, or any OEM in Car unit pre 2005 that does not have MP3 logo on the front. MP3 units are an exception, as they have been designed to cope with the modern / computer type discs for data.

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2008, 18:50:41 »

What about audio spec cdrs?  Used to sell no end of these - customers found some burnt CDRs wouldn't play in domestic/car cd players whereas these audio (studio quality) ones would.  Got a load of burnt ones myself and these appear to be ok.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2008, 20:24:09 »

What about audio spec cdrs?  Used to sell no end of these - customers found some burnt CDRs wouldn't play in domestic/car cd players whereas these audio (studio quality) ones would.  Got a load of burnt ones myself and these appear to be ok.
It would appear that any quality (read TY or Verbatim level) media seems to be better, but still more strain on laser than pressed disk.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2008, 22:46:07 »

It would appear that any quality (read TY or Verbatim level) media seems to be better, but still more strain on laser than pressed disk.

Agreed, but as a general rule of thumb, any media format designed a few years after the CD player in question is unlikely to be backwards compatable with a head unit that was never designed to work with it.

www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2008, 22:30:12 »

Agreed, but as a general rule of thumb, any media format designed a few years after the CD player in question is unlikely to be backwards compatable with a head unit that was never designed to work with it.

Depends on how strict a definition of 'compatible' you use.  Most CDRs will play in most CD Players, at least for a while.  How much damage/excess wear it causes seems to be the issue here.
Grumpy old man

Mack

• North Wiltshire
    • Audi A6 Le Mans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2008, 11:17:54 »

Dave DND wrote 'The older CD players were never designed to focus on something this small, and basically they are straining so hard to do so that they wear out prematurely.'

Why is this, given CD's are non-contact? Does it introduce more repositioning, rereading or error correction?

I find the burner can be important, some of the CDRs are burn on my work laptop cause issues in the car (either periods of silence or disk error messages) where as the same media burned in a home PC is OK..... mind you, different software too, so there are a few variables...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2008, 11:38:20 »

Dave DND wrote 'The older CD players were never designed to focus on something this small, and basically they are straining so hard to do so that they wear out prematurely.'

Why is this, given CD's are non-contact? Does it introduce more repositioning, rereading or error correction?

I find the burner can be important, some of the CDRs are burn on my work laptop cause issues in the car (either periods of silence or disk error messages) where as the same media burned in a home PC is OK..... mind you, different software too, so there are a few variables...

Bottom line is that the written discs are created by burning small areas of the discs. This does not create such a uniform pit (the track width and pitch is the same) as a pressed item and hence the laser has to re-position and re-focus more.

Also, CD-R's have a lower reflectivity (about half) than pressed discs (with RW's being even lower less than a quarter) so require a better PIN diode and associated Transimpedance amp setup to received the signal.

« Last Edit: 14 November 2008, 11:39:18 by Mark »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2008, 12:03:45 »

A quick check through the specs of various suppliers sudgest that Mitsui discs have the best reflectance......but thats because they have writes to phthalocyanine which is the best of the best for reflectance in this application......some other suppliers use this substance either under license or simply buy them from Mitsui!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2008, 12:13:27 »

Verbatium use an AVO die which is not quite as good from a reflectance perspective but still reasonable

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2008, 21:10:54 »

so,what your basically saying is, if you want your head unit to last as long as possible dont use burnable media?
 Whats the odds of repairing a worn out lazer and associated optical parts?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2008, 08:46:29 »

so,what your basically saying is, if you want your head unit to last as long as possible dont use burnable media?
 Whats the odds of repairing a worn out lazer and associated optical parts?

Correct on the first bit - Although its OK to use CDr`s on units that have been specifically designed to acceopt them. Most aftermarket radios from around 2002 onwards but most of the Original Equipment guys are still only starting to play around with them - certainly not comaptable on anything generally before 2005.

Yes, lasers can be replaced - providing that they can be obtained (Philips went belly up years ago) and remember that some of these units are way in excess of 10 years old, so spares just aren`t that commonplace.
www.dndservices.co.uk

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2008, 09:56:39 »

There are many differences about construction, materials used, layers etc etc, but teh main difference is that the recordable discs use much smaller "dots" and closer "Tracks" to record the data.

The older CD players were never designed to focus on something this small, and basically they are straining so hard to du so that they wear out prematurely.

This was covered in quite some detail a few months ago, maybe someone else can find and post a link to the thread?

Bottom line though, don`t use modern CDR`s on old CD players, or any OEM in Car unit pre 2005 that does not have MP3 logo on the front. MP3 units are an exception, as they have been designed to cope with the modern / computer type discs for data.

;)

This may be what you are referring to:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1214037845/

Although I have seen you involved in this discussion many, many times on here.

I'm just about to fork out the £76 for a genuine NavTeq 2008/9 disk; you know you should.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2008, 11:57:30 »

dont mind paying the money, providing the bloody thing works. As we find on the other thread, tmc does not. Hence no traffic, bit gay really. Very disappointing.
Ref to siemens ncdc 2015/13 sat nav and its failure to provide traffic info via tmc.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.