Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do i need ????  (Read 1650 times)

gav mv6

• leicestershire
    • m/f irmscher mv6 lpg
    • View Profile
what do i need ????
« on: 05 July 2009, 21:33:19 »

i have in my cupboard soon to be fitted to my mv6 2x genesis profile ultra amps, 1 is 4 channel requires 6 guage other is sub ultra needin 2 guage .
im just unsure do i need to have a split charge for this or, can i not worry and just use 2 guage on a breaker to a dis block and a thumpin cap ? your views are welcome, thanks
« Last Edit: 05 July 2009, 21:33:58 by xwai »
Dam its hard work getting to 250 posts .......

Welung666

Re: what do i need ????
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2009, 05:50:44 »

i have in my cupboard soon to be fitted to my mv6 2x genesis profile ultra amps, 1 is 4 channel requires 6 guage other is sub ultra needin 2 guage .
im just unsure do i need to have a split charge for this or, can i not worry and just use 2 guage on a breaker to a dis block and a thumpin cap ? your views are welcome, thanks

Can anyone translate this please?  :-/ ;) ;D
« Last Edit: 06 July 2009, 05:51:02 by Welung666 »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2009, 09:03:13 »

Due to the complexities of that system, I would advise a trip to your local car audio shop where they can see what you are trying to do and advise accordingly, as virtually impossible to advise on this type of install over the net.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2009, 12:09:58 »

a bit of help i would guess, where are you in the uk? i would imagine you are going to need big fuse link close to the battery running back to where the amps are to be installed, then run the cable straight in to a power cap,the feed out of the power cap would need to be fed in to a distribution block so as to run both guage cables to there respective amps. the distrubution block should have 1 feed in and 2 feeds out with fuses inbetween. i dont know what sort of system you are setting up in the car so could not advise further. if you need help and you are not too far from northampton i would  be available if needed. i have some years experiance in installing big ice systems in cars as well as my own omega.

Having just reread what you have asked the other way of powering your system would be to change your alternater to a higher ampage install a split charge relay and locate a second battery in the boot  like a optima yellow or red top deep cycle type this would allow you to run 8 guage cable to charge the second battery and keep the 6 gauge and 2 gauge cable runs as short as possible to the amps. though a distribution block, ensure the battery and both amps are earthed  seperately. using a deep cycle battery would negate the need to use power caps

hope this helps
« Last Edit: 06 July 2009, 14:05:54 by omegadan67 »
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

gav mv6

• leicestershire
    • m/f irmscher mv6 lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2009, 17:39:19 »

i like the sound of that ,havin nice short run or 6 esp 2 guage would be spot on , i really am not looking forward to trying to fit 2 gauage cable down the car , so a split charge would be easier but i kno wthe costs are gonna be high too , by the way i work in corby so maybe a chat could be possible ??

KillerWatt

« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2009, 19:27:41 »

Can anyone translate this please?  :-/ ;) ;D
A fookin MAHOOSIVE bit of cable from the battery, with an equally MAHOOSIVE alternator & battery.

As Dave says, get it in to someone who can actually see what you are trying to do.

gav mv6

• leicestershire
    • m/f irmscher mv6 lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2009, 19:56:00 »

im not lettin any 'professionals' near my mv6 again esp not car radio installers not after what happened last time ,im not worried im machinery and electrician i just want advice thats unbiased and gonna get teh best from the amps with out killing the qaulity or the battery lol

KillerWatt

« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2009, 20:01:27 »

im not lettin any 'professionals' near my mv6 again esp not car radio installers not after what happened last time ,im not worried im machinery and electrician i just want advice thats unbiased and gonna get teh best from the amps with out killing the qaulity or the battery lol
OK then, give me the following...

Battery A/h rating
Alternator A/h rating
Maximum current demand that both amps will draw in a worse case scenario.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2009, 20:29:30 »

If you are running a Genesis Sub Ultra Amp, then you WILL need a split charge system and secondary battery - cap would be optional but advisable.

And as you appear to not want to take the advice of Professional Car Audio Installers . . . I`ll bow out now.

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

KillerWatt

« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2009, 20:36:09 »

And as you appear to not want to take the advice of Professional Car Audio Installers . . . I`ll bow out now.

;)
The size of the power cable is kind of a giveaway as to what's needed, but hey....he's a sparks so he'll already know what's expected of the car's electrical system in order to keep the raisins flowing  ;)

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2009, 21:43:39 »

OK then, give me the following...

Battery A/h rating
Alternator A/h rating
Maximum current demand that both amps will draw in a worse case scenario.
Battery A/h rating depends on that fitted to vehicle either 66 70 or 85 A/h
Alternator A/h rating also depends on vehicle model they range from 90 A/h to 130 A/h
as for maximum current demand that both amps will draw in a worse case scenario thats easy 160 amp running a 4 ohm speaker system 190 running 2 ohm speaker system.

if the car is an mv6 the battery A/h rating would be 85 A/h and the Alternator A/h rating would possibly be 120 A/h
any other questions????????? >:(

KillerWatt

« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2009, 22:15:55 »

Do your math on the current drain again.

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2009, 08:22:02 »

Do your math on the current drain again.

read up on your amps mate  maximum current drain on the profile 4 ultra is 40 amps
and on the sub ultra its 110 amps that gives 150 amp worst case drain or have I MISSED something?????????

as i have a genisis profile 4 amp in my car  fitted by myself on advise of the people at genisis maximum current drain on the amp i have is 38.8 amps before it blows the fuse these amps are built to a very high standard with exacting peramiters they are also known to put out more power than thier competitors
each amp is fully tested before dispatch to customers with a lifetime warranty 

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD????
« Last Edit: 07 July 2009, 08:29:55 by omegadan67 »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2009, 09:58:57 »

The rule for amplifier current is very simple, and yes, the figures we are dealing with here are very large.

Add up the value of all of the fuses fitted in the amps and then add 10%, and go for the next prefferred value up of main fuse - this is then the amount of current required in a worst case scenario.

as an example, if one of the amps has 2x 40A fuses and the other amp has a 35A fuse, and you have a small sound processor fitted with a 15A fuse

40 + 40 + 35 + 15 = 130 + 10% = 143

as they do not make a fuse of 143A, the next one up would be 150A and this would be the main fuse. All cabling up to this fuse must exceed this rating by at least double (in this example 300A) and the cables going from any distribution blocks to the amps must also exceed the ratings of the fuses on each.

So the amp with 2 x 40A fuses will need a cable from the distribution block that can carry at least 160A

The reason for having a much larger cable is so that the fuse blows before the cable acts as a heating element under load

;)

these amps are built to a very high standard with exacting peramiters they are also known to put out more power than thier competitors
each amp is fully tested before dispatch to customers with a lifetime warranty 

Don`t beleive the hype too much !!  ::)

Yes, they are good, and the sound quality of the old school stuff is second to none, but due to the quality issues nowadays, we have ditched the brand ourselves and have now joined that ever growing club of Genesis Ex-Main Dealers.

>:(
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.