Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre position  (Read 3884 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre position
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2011, 09:27:24 »

most drivers would struggle to deal with oversteer on a FWD car, where as everyone can handle understeer on any car. Plus understeer tends to be progressive, non power induced oversteer tends to be sudden. There are driving gods who can deal with this, but doubt 99.9% of the population can 'in the heat of the moment'

And, driving god or not, of there 'ain't enough road to collect it all up again... ::)

My opinion? She's getting 4 tyres, so buy 4 the same, at a level of budget she's happy with. If all 4 are matched the car will handle as the manufacturer intended without any additional bias from tyre choice. One tyre might be grippier, relatively speaking, in the dry, yet really poor in the wet, so you might have a situation where it'll tend to slight understeer in the dry (good) yet hang the tail out in the wet (not good).

Sounds like the tyre depot has decided that, if they can't sting her for 4 premium tyres they might as well try for 2. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2011, 09:37:32 »

I agree with Kevin

My MV6 has a Sport contact 2 and an Accelera Aplha on the front, and a Goodyear Eagle and a Bridgestone on the rear. Heinz variety ;D

Handles fine. Though.

once i resolve the 'tyre consumtion' issues, I will get a matching set, no question :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2011, 10:08:35 »

I agree with Kevin

My MV6 has a Sport contact 2 and an Accelera Aplha on the front, and a Goodyear Eagle and a Bridgestone on the rear. Heinz variety ;D

Handles fine. Though.

once i resolve the 'tyre consumtion' issues, I will get a matching set, no question :y

I seem to remember an insurance company giving some hassle in a claim where mismatched tyres were fitted, although many of us find ourselves with an odd one replacing a punctured/damaged one.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2011, 10:12:00 »

different tires for front and rear is an open invitation to trouble especially on a rainy climate..

but if I have to choose I'll use the better pair for the front as the brake is  more critical..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2011, 11:18:26 »

I agree with Kevin

Handles fine. Though.

I too am running Heinz tyres.  Handling is awful, lethal even. But that because one of the tyres just has zero grip in the dry, and even less at the first hint of dampness.

Needless to say, car off the road (before it has me off the road) until I've swapped over that duff tyre.

Duff tyre has around 6mm tread, sure somebody here will buy it ::) ;D ;D
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2011, 11:23:52 »

I agree with Kevin

Handles fine. Though.

I seem to remember an insurance company giving some hassle in a claim where mismatched tyres were fitted, although many of us find ourselves with an odd one replacing a punctured/damaged one.

As long as they are correct rating, legal in terms of tread and condition, correct for car, correct type on each axle etc etc, the ins co can sod off :y

TB, I accept what you say that good tread means nothing.... The ones I removed had 5mm. But were awful in the wet...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 October 2011, 11:40:07 »

TB, I accept what you say that good tread means nothing.... The ones I removed had 5mm. But were awful in the wet...
The point I was making, is...

I have 4 Heinz 57 budgets. My expectations are not high, so I've been tootling around on them, rather than 'being late' everytime I get in the car.

Even with my low expectations, one of these tyres, not that old, is lethal. Nothing visible wrong with it, it just has absolutely zero grip. Zero. None. Zilch. Yet its perfectly legal.

Going to work the other day, was raining though, I could feel it wasn't good, so was pussy footing around.  Lost it once at the roundabout near the LPG garage at Towcester. Hmmm, corner (was turning right), garage nearby, maybe spilt diesel, carry on. Had it twitch up the hill out of Towcester on A5 gently accelerating out of the town (in a queue of traffic). Went at Miss Daisy speed from then on. Nearly made it to work, lost it again at under 40mph on a sweeping bend in Bletchley.  Got the car home, not entirely incident free, and it hasn't moved since.  It clearly should not be allowed on the road.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2011, 11:42:43 »

Oh, I know its the tyre, as it was on the front at one point, and the car had chronic understeer in the dry.  As part of my brake pulling diags, I popped it on the back, and had oversteer. In the dry.
Grumpy old man

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2011, 13:18:26 »

If you're only getting 2 new tyres, rear axle every time.  Much safer.

Here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA

tried to embed the video but it appears that feature has been removed.

Budget tyres, false economy.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 October 2011, 13:53:53 »

Here's why:

I notice she gave it an armful of steering lock to provoke the oversteer ;D, but fair point, if replacing 2 tyres. I maintain that, if replacing all 4, you should match them.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2011, 13:59:55 »

Here's why:

I notice she gave it an armful of steering lock to provoke the oversteer ;D, but fair point, if replacing 2 tyres. I maintain that, if replacing all 4, you should match them.

Woops, I only skim read the OP.  Thought she was only getting 2 new tyres!

Yeah I agree, should match all 4 where possible. 

I'd pay the extra for the 4 premium tyres.  You don't want to be crash into something/someone just because you skimped on some rubber.

I've even got a spare set of rims now for my winter tyres!
Budget tyres, false economy.

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
  • Hahaha cool- 1000+bhp combined on the drive!!!!!!!
    • 3.0mv6 auto, cav4x4 turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2011, 14:29:06 »

I've always gone (on a wwd car) with 'most tread on front' that way you can swap them round so they wear more even, and replace them in sets of four. So generally, mine all stay the same. If say I end up with an odd pair on an axle, they'd go on the front so they get more wear and get replaced sooner. As for the cav, they all match anyway by the laws of not wanting to destroy the 'chocolate teapot' transfer box. And rwd?? Erm... Odds on the back and just boot it everywhere until they need replacing. Then get a complete set and rotate them now and again.

Damn that reminds me, I need for the cav a part worn conti of required size and about 5mm of tread.. Else it's a complete set for that! That's one potentially expensive nail!!
The weather is here... Wish you were beautiful!

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2011, 23:18:46 »

never ever buy cheap tyres...unless that is your life is cheap..???

as for skid pan should be part of the dsa driving..it is great fun..need to find some who as a skid car as you don't fubar your own tyres...used to do it down at brands hatch
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2011, 10:55:23 »

never ever buy cheap tyres...unless that is your life is cheap..???

as for skid pan should be part of the dsa driving..it is great fun..need to find some who as a skid car as you don't fubar your own tyres...used to do it down at brands hatch

I went on the one at Thruxton once. They had a load of old sierras with bald 155 tyres blown up like balloons and the surface is sprinkled with oily water. No need to use your own car, although the surface has so little friction that I think the mess up the side panels would be more of a worry than tyre wear. ;D

It was quite an eye opener. They guy did the stepping out in front of you while you try to stop / manoeuvre around him thing. He  soon realised that he didn't want to do that when my Dad was driving so he found a traffic cone to chuck in front of him instead. ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2011, 11:09:57 »

Skid pans are good fun.  My play on one was with a box type Granada, no power steering, and no crossing of hands.  Fairly managed to get a sweat on, shuffling that wheel about!

As to tyre position, was told a number of times from various tyre manufacturers/examiners/test drivers that new should go on the rear, irrespective of front or rear wheel drive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.