Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRE! UPDATE  (Read 789 times)

stevenw

• View Profile
FIRE! UPDATE
« on: 28 January 2007, 10:07:36 »

An assessor has been to see th car and the verdict is......YOU LOSE! The claim is not valid because the fire is the result of an electrical fault, which is not covered by my TPFT policy. Even though there were flames coming from under the bonnet. So, as good citizens,even though we saved numerous lives and valuable property from destruction by putting the fire out, technically it wasn't a fire, it was a breakdown, which is not covered.  
The name of the company involved, Norwich Union and sure enough in the policy booklet it  says you are not covered for electrical faults.(I suppose their all the same)
I was expecpting this , to be honest, but my beloved is fuming [smiley=angry.gif]. But then this is the first time she has had to deal with an insurance company.
I'm not going to turn yhis into an advert, but if anyone wants the car for spares then PM me and I'll forward the details. I think it'll go on ebay tomorrow :(
As a final word, I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone on the forum for their help and despite what's happened, I STILL THINK THE ELITE IS A FANTASTIC CAR!!! :)
Steve

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: FIRE! UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2007, 10:12:44 »

An assessor has been to see th car and the verdict is......YOU LOSE! The claim is not valid because the fire is the result of an electrical fault, which is not covered by my TPFT policy. Even though there were flames coming from under the bonnet. So, as good citizens,even though we saved numerous lives and valuable property from destruction by putting the fire out, technically it wasn't a fire, it was a breakdown, which is not covered.  
The name of the company involved, Norwich Union and sure enough in the policy booklet it  says you are not covered for electrical faults.(I suppose their all the same)
I was expecpting this , to be honest, but my beloved is fuming [smiley=angry.gif]. But then this is the first time she has had to deal with an insurance company.
I'm not going to turn yhis into an advert, but if anyone wants the car for spares then PM me and I'll forward the details. I think it'll go on ebay tomorrow :(
As a final word, I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone on the forum for their help and despite what's happened, I STILL THINK THE ELITE IS A FANTASTIC CAR!!! :)
Steve

FOR SALE??!!

MORE ABOUT THE CAR PLEASE, PICS, AND WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR IT ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2007, 10:13:04 »

Gutted.

But just shows again that insurance companies will wriggle out of anything.

I had heard this before, if the car catches fire, let it burn...
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2007, 10:14:54 »

You should have let it burn and explode, as long as no risk to human life..

But at least now there may possibly be a project Elite on the horizon! ;)

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2007, 10:23:50 »

now that really winds me up, i can now see why some people dont bother with insurance. it should be a regulated run thing-standardised and monitored. some of these companies charge what they want and put in their policy rules all sort of get out clauses-its criminal. im selling a p reg v6 gls fairly cheaply?
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2007, 10:24:18 »

Gutted.

But just shows again that insurance companies will wriggle out of anything.

I had heard this before, if the car catches fire, let it burn...

Do you have legal protection?

If so get them on to it, failing that ask for a refund on your insurance, you could also tell us not to use NU as well. Don't give up!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2007, 10:25:35 »

I wouldn't have thought there would have been a lot of hope, if in the policy wording it states no cover for electrical fires....

When I get a nice car, it's going to be fully comp....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2007, 17:05:59 »

I wouldn't have thought there would have been a lot of hope, if in the policy wording it states no cover for electrical fires....

When I get a nice car, it's going to be fully comp....

I don't think it does not cover electrical fires... it probably just does not cover electrical faults. As you correctly said, since you out the fire our, the actual damage is closer to 'electrical fault' than to 'fire'... had the fire got hold of your car I suspect you would have been covered. That is not to say that you should have let it burn - from the insurance point of view you are still required to take reasonable action to protect your property.

To point a fine point to it, since the only thing that was damaged in this case is the actual loom that short-circuited, this is not 'fire damage'.  If the flame would have damaged other un-related components around the engine bay, you could probably get some come back...

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.