Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: wont idle  (Read 2437 times)

albitz

wont idle
« on: 16 March 2008, 23:05:40 »

for the last 2 days my car wont idle,it runs fine above idle speed but dies when i slow down for junctions etc; i have taken the icv off and blasted it with plenty off carb cleaner,but this hasnt improved matters.i have also done a paperclip test and have a code 19 stored,i fitted a new vx crank sensor a couple of months ago and have checked today on how the wiring is routed and it looks fine.i would have thought an old code would have cleared by now ? im feeling a bit confused so any fresh ideas would be appreciated. :-/

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
Re: wont idle
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2008, 09:08:26 »

did you change the crank sensor and its wiring??
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

file28

« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2008, 09:16:58 »

did you change the crank sensor and its wiring??
when i had the sensor changed they changed the wiring as well as it had got warm and became brittle

albitz

« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2008, 09:25:41 »

yes it comes with the wiring attached,the symptoms suggest to me a dirty icv,which is why i was surprised that there was no improvement after it was cleaned.

keith2.2

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2008, 09:29:25 »

have you reset the ECU to clear the fault code?
2.2 litre, 210bhp, 910kg stripped honda civic
LPG'd MV6 Omega

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2008, 09:38:39 »

as far as i know they should disappear after approx.20 engine starts,once the fault has been fixed :-/

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2008, 22:02:09 »

anyone got any more ideas ? :-/.......im getting desperate,swmbo wants to use it tomorrow afternoon ,she is getting  >:(
« Last Edit: 17 March 2008, 22:51:16 by albitz »

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2008, 23:39:17 »

for the last 2 days my car wont idle,it runs fine above idle speed but dies when i slow down for junctions etc; i have taken the icv off and blasted it with plenty off carb cleaner,but this hasnt improved matters.i have also done a paperclip test and have a code 19 stored,i fitted a new vx crank sensor a couple of months ago and have checked today on how the wiring is routed and it looks fine.i would have thought an old code would have cleared by now ? im feeling a bit confused so any fresh ideas would be appreciated. :-/

did you lube icv after cleaning it out ?? :-?

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2008, 12:16:26 »

yeah,i sprayed some wd40 into it.im now wondering if the icv has packed in but i dont know of any way of testing it .

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2008, 12:18:59 »

The only time i have had such a problem ( starting and cutting out immediatley unless revved) was after a breather clean. IACV not properly connected ...

Long shot but even if you can swap out the ICV to eliminate from the problem :-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

albitz

« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2008, 12:19:59 »

how would i swap out the icv ? :-/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2008, 12:22:40 »

change it for a known good - even worth seeing if local scrappy has one.....

Before hand retrace all your steps and check connections.

You need to lube, or fairy liquid the icv around and on the ruibber connection to force it back into the side of the plenum and ensure its snug...
« Last Edit: 18 March 2008, 12:23:30 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2008, 12:28:45 »

You need to lube, or fairy liquid the icv around and on the ruibber connection to force it back into the side of the plenum and ensure its snug...
i see what you mean now :-[,that should be worth a try ,cheers for the advice  :y
« Last Edit: 18 March 2008, 12:29:18 by albitz »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2008, 12:39:51 »

i see what you mean now :-[,that should be worth a try ,cheers for the advice  :y

Alternativlely....pop the icv out just fractionally and see if it makes any difference to your problem...obviously it wont fix it but if your symptoms are exactly the same.... :-/

Mike Collins

• North of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2008, 13:23:46 »

WD40 is not the lubricant I would use, it's a water dispersant

Try a light machine oil and see if it improves.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2008, 20:34:43 »

WD40 is not the lubricant I would use, it's a water dispersant

Try a light machine oil and see if it improves.

Something like 3in1 will help too.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

albitz

« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2008, 23:26:47 »

thanks for the thoughts everyone,there is an icv on ebay at the moment if it is cheap enough i might have it  so i can try swapping to see if that cures the problem,trouble is swmbo now wants to dump it and get something more reliable  >:(.....no chance ;)
« Last Edit: 18 March 2008, 23:27:12 by albitz »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 March 2008, 08:35:54 »

thanks for the thoughts everyone,there is an icv on ebay at the moment if it is cheap enough i might have it  so i can try swapping to see if that cures the problem,trouble is swmbo now wants to dump it and get something more reliable  >:(.....no chance ;)

it going to be omething simple - btw carb cleaner  :y
Not sure if i have a spare kicking about - i`ll try and get a chance to check...

albitz

« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2008, 08:56:07 »

thanks markie :y

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2008, 21:06:42 »

Mine stalls at junction and about to do the idle breather jet (in the Maintenance section)...might be worth a look..?
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

albitz

« Reply #20 on: 22 March 2008, 14:47:34 »

update;postie just delivered icv (thanks to chris :y) went outside and fitted it,made no difference.the car is hard to start and every time the revs drop to about 600/700 the engine stops.i am now left with the code 19 problem,has the crank sensor really only lasted 10 weeks ? it was a genuine vx item and was routed well away from exhaust manifold :-/ :-/ :-/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 March 2008, 16:35:53 »

well code 19 is either crank issue or stored crank issue from before - i reckon you have probably started the car 20 times since fitting the crank eh?

In other words the previous stored code should have gone by now....

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 22 March 2008, 16:39:21 »

yup,my thoughts exactly ,i just cant believe that its gone wrong so soon. if it has would it give the same symptoms as a dirty icv ? :-/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 March 2008, 16:42:07 »

yup,my thoughts exactly ,i just cant believe that its gone wrong so soon. if it has would it give the same symptoms as a dirty icv ? :-/

NOT in my experience no - had the code 19 on an old omega estate - it ran and idled fine untill on day it refused to start and replaced sensor...

albitz

« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2008, 16:49:23 »

i replaced the sensor in jan.because eml was coming on and code 19,it was also a bit difficult to start,but there was no problem with idling.i am surprised that changing icv hasnt helped but having a code 19 is just confusing me further.the only other thing i can  think of is to clean the breathers ,but they have been done within the last year so i wouldnt have thought they are going to be in that bad shape really.i dont really know what to do next tbh,is there any way of testing an icv? :-/ :-/
« Last Edit: 22 March 2008, 16:55:59 by albitz »

Albus Dumbledore

• Bergen, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 March 2008, 18:33:50 »

Just a thought. Have you checked the airfilter? Or for cracks in the pipe from airfilter housing to inlet?

albitz

« Reply #26 on: 22 March 2008, 18:36:21 »

the airfilter is recent but it could be worth a look at the other bits thanks,im starting to feel desperate and confused :'(

Albus Dumbledore

• Bergen, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 March 2008, 18:41:34 »

I understand you completely! Hope you find a quick fix :y

albitz

« Reply #28 on: 22 March 2008, 20:10:40 »

there might be some parts of a fire damaged omega in the for sale section tomorrow :'(

Albus Dumbledore

• Bergen, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 March 2008, 20:15:50 »

???? What happened??

albitz

« Reply #30 on: 22 March 2008, 20:43:00 »

oh nothing major,just fumbling about in the cold/  dark with a torch ,looking at things trying to get some fresh ideas but getting more hacked off.i will go back out in daylight tomorrow  and try again.  :(

albitz

« Reply #31 on: 23 March 2008, 20:43:01 »

had another look at it today.cleaned breathers (which were quite clean)  checked for air leaks,couldnt find any,tried both icv,s,no change.the only thing i discovered was if i unplug the icv the eml comes on and the car will idle (high) but im guessing that would be expected ?....still getting crank sensor code (on 10 week old sensor) but it still seems more like icv/vacuum to me???????????

albitz

« Reply #32 on: 24 March 2008, 13:19:42 »

put old crank sensor back on this morning,problem solved :) just need to go back to vx tomorrow and get another new sensor or refund.to the members who took the time to offer advice during the last week,thankyou very much,it was much appreciated  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.