Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Condenser Removal  (Read 1263 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Condenser Removal
« on: 04 January 2021, 19:56:26 »

I started taking the plastic cover off the radiator today to look at the condenser with a view to removing and replacing it.

Something I've noticed on this and I don't seem to see on the guide at http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90559.0 or in the part diagram https://opel.7zap.com/en/car/v94/c/7/23-0/ is inbetween the rad and condenser there seems to be what looks like another small radiator or air-con unit with 2pipes that go off to the drivers side and down behind the light.

Check video out where I point out where the unit is and the pipes above it.

https://youtu.be/1H2D9eQPW7I

Any ideas what this is and does it come out with the main condenser. I've looked at my condenser that I got new and it is only the main large unit I have.

Thanks

G
« Last Edit: 04 January 2021, 20:11:48 by grifter »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Condenser Removal
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2021, 20:04:06 »

Transmission fluid cooler. Easy to remove. Just plug the ends of the pipes and elevate them to stop all the fluid syphoning out.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2021, 20:13:35 »

Transmission fluid cooler. Easy to remove. Just plug the ends of the pipes and elevate them to stop all the fluid syphoning out.

Ah right, makes sense now Thanks

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2021, 20:14:11 »

Got another wee query about this. I stripped off the top cover above rad, took out the air trunking in front of the radiator, and the 2 bolts out of the pipe manifold thing that connects to the autobox cooler. Looking at it though I can't quite figure out how you remove all this, do I need to take the cooling radiator out first, and work from there towards the front of the car? Reason I ask is the cooler thing for the autobox seems to bolt onto the sides of the radiator opening on the front panel, but would rad lift clear of that ok? I'm struggling to see how you get in at the bolts that secure the autobox cooler as they are between radiator and condenser, so even with the rad out of the way, I still need to get in at the front to loosen these.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2021, 20:51:05 »

You're overthinking it.

1. Drain the coolant and undo the radiator hoses.

2. Unbolt the cooler connection, lift out and make sure both seals are on the block, fold it back and cable tie it to the header tank or bonnet strut. This might require two ties end to end, but the aim is to hold it up out of the way. If your of a sensitive disposition, place a bag over it. It won't leak if it's higher than the top of the radiator.

3. Remove the intake ducting and airfilter box.

4. Remove the fan with its bracket. Feel free to unplug it or hoik it up out of the way.

5. Pop of the metal spring clips holding the radiator in. Lift the radiator up to clear the upper bracket and lean it towards the throttle body.

6. Undo the 8mm screws/bolts that hold the condenser to the radiator.

7. Lift the condenser an inch to free it from the bottom of the radiator. Place it back by the fans.

8. Lift out the radiator. It is a tight fit between the chassis legs and may take some jiggling. Keep it upright.

9. Undo the bolts that hold the gearbox cooler to the radiator and place it to one side. Keep it upright and you won't lose any ATF.

Refit in reverse and pop back later for how to bleed the coolant properly.
Onanists always think outside the box.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2021, 13:52:52 »

Good guide, that makes sense. I wrapped some kitchen towel round the cooler connection with elastic band so it would soak up any drippage and keep the seals intact. Starting from step 4 next round when I get my arse in gear.

While this is all off the Timing Belt is due so will do that and clean out the breathers. Also going to check/change the rockers gaskets, check plugs, and hopefully change the stat as well. Think it's a bit lazy.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2021, 13:55:28 by grifter »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.