Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do ? (motorcycle)  (Read 2670 times)

mantahatch

What would you do ? (motorcycle)
« on: 11 June 2012, 14:02:51 »

I have been a bike rider (trail bikes) since I was quite young. Sadly fitness is suffering a bit and I am contemplating parting with my bike. I am 47 and fitness level is unlikely to get better. The only thing is kids are getting older and more independant (youngest 16) so in time will have more free time, and the bike could come in more. That said the bike is a kick start and anyone who knows the XTs will know how to start one easily but will also know they can bite you occasionally.

So would you sell and give up, or keep for the future ?

Please this is not a for sale ad. If I sell the bike it cannot go to anyone who I even vaguely know or speak to, I could not bear hearing about it.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do ? (motorcycle)
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2012, 14:11:53 »

Question ................ Why did you start riding bikes in the first place ?

Answer ................   If you can remember, THATS the reason to keep it  ;) ;)

You only have one life and age is just a number so if it still puts a smile on your face, KEEP IT  :y :y :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2012, 14:26:32 »

My advice would be to keep it, you know deep down you want to, or you wouldn't be asking the question.  :y

When I was a youngster, starting my 650 Triton was at times an ankle skinning experience at times where it would kick back, but it was all character building stuff.  :o :o :o

My Triumph T150V Trident din't kick back, but you had too put your full body weight behind it, where you could stand on the kickstart and the engine would not turnover. Cold weather starting was interesting, again all character building stuff.  :y

It would be good for your children to master how to start the bike and get their non-biking friends to try, like we used to.  ;D  ;) :)

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2012, 14:44:20 »

It's the fear of losing that thrill. If it's not in the way, keep it for when you want some fun.  :y

In a similar position myself. If the bike goes it will be the end of an era, which is scary as it means I am too old. Had bikes on and off since I was about fourteen and still love them. Mine is also kick start and I remember the days when I used to leap in the air and kick it in to life and away I'd go. Nowadays though, I can't bend my leg enough to use the kick start sitting on the bike so I have to lean it against a wall or use the lift stand. This is fine if you are at home but imagine the embarrassment of falling off down a lane and having to push it to a tree to lean it against it just to start it. Very undignified I'll have you know.  ::) ;D ;D 

It's knowing that if you get rid of it, you'll probably never have another bike.  :'( :'(   It's the parting with something that you loved as a youngster that hurts but unfortunately none of us are getting any younger.
Ironically, as much as I love bikes, as a parent I did my utmost to turn my son against them.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2012, 15:17:30 »

It's the fear of losing that thrill. If it's not in the way, keep it for when you want some fun.  :y

In a similar position myself. If the bike goes it will be the end of an era, which is scary as it means I am too old. Had bikes on and off since I was about fourteen and still love them. Mine is also kick start and I remember the days when I used to leap in the air and kick it in to life and away I'd go. Nowadays though, I can't bend my leg enough to use the kick start sitting on the bike so I have to lean it against a wall or use the lift stand. This is fine if you are at home but imagine the embarrassment of falling off down a lane and having to push it to a tree to lean it against it just to start it. Very undignified I'll have you know.  ::) ;D ;D 

It's knowing that if you get rid of it, you'll probably never have another bike:'( :'(   It's the parting with something that you loved as a youngster that hurts but unfortunately none of us are getting any younger.
Ironically, as much as I love bikes, as a parent I did my utmost to turn my son against them.

That says it for me , i got rid of my last one and regretted it ever since although failing health would have me struggle to swing a leg over it now  :( i would keep it , should of kept my air cooled RD250E  :'(

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2012, 15:27:47 »

keep it, even if you don't use would your kids once old enough/got license
No more Omega but still hangs around

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2012, 16:02:42 »

Had all this afew months ago. Finally decided to sell it.A bit of a wrench (been at it since 28th oct. 1975),but having said that,havent actually got round to putting it up for sale yet. ::)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2012, 16:19:46 »

Had all this afew months ago. Finally decided to sell it.A bit of a wrench (been at it since 28th oct. 1975),but having said that,havent actually got round to putting it up for sale yet. ::)

And neither should you in my opinion Albs.
You need to think do you owe anyone for it? Do you need that money? If NO, then keep it until you finally fancy going out, worth every penny then :y
Just my opinion :-*
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2012, 17:05:57 »

I'm with Albs.. young ones soon will try it.. :-\

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2012, 17:17:43 »

Daz - "unless you need the money" - absolutely. :( ;)
Cem - young ones,as in my kids ?................I have a son of 27 who isnt even interested in learning to drive a car,and considers motorcycles to be death traps. Wish I could remember who our milkman was in 1983. ::) ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2012, 17:59:44 »

Sir Ralph Richardson was still riding big bikes in his 70's! :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2012, 18:02:07 »

Daz - "unless you need the money" - absolutely. :( ;)
Cem - young ones,as in my kids ?................I have a son of 27 who isnt even interested in learning to drive a car,and considers motorcycles to be death traps. Wish I could remember who our milkman was in 1983. ::) ;D

clever son..  :y  and more grown up than me, I still want one.. ;D

smithpa7

« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2012, 19:42:05 »

Keep it.

I sold my 600 Ninja last year, one of the biggest mistakes of my life :'( :'(

I am now considering a cheapish Tourer to replace it 8)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 June 2012, 19:48:56 »

Keep it, still regret selling my Triumph Speed Twin in 1957! ;D ;D ;D

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 June 2012, 20:47:48 »

Sir Ralph Richardson was still riding big bikes in his 70's! :y

but Albs is 80 :o :o
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.