Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Misfire whilst idling  (Read 1245 times)

The Omega Glory

• Staffordshire
    • Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
Misfire whilst idling
« on: 16 December 2013, 21:26:46 »

A misfire has developed on my 3.2L Elite Saloon whilst moving slowly in traffic, using only idle speed. This also happens when coming to a stand still in drive gear. If I shift into neutral at this point it seems to disappear although as time goes on, I think it is getting gradually worse.
Cam cover gaskets and breather done last year so the plug wells should be free of oil, and it appears free from any rainwater under the bonnet in wet conditions.
It would seem that one of the coil packs is breaking down and I need to try and identify which one?
Any advice from similar experiences would be welcome.
 ???

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Misfire whilst idling
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2013, 21:28:56 »

A misfire has developed on my 3.2L Elite Saloon whilst moving slowly in traffic, using only idle speed. This also happens when coming to a stand still in drive gear. If I shift into neutral at this point it seems to disappear although as time goes on, I think it is getting gradually worse.
Cam cover gaskets and breather done last year so the plug wells should be free of oil, and it appears free from any rainwater under the bonnet in wet conditions.
It would seem that one of the coil packs is breaking down and I need to try and identify which one?
Any advice from similar experiences would be welcome.
 ???
Pedal trick will tell you         http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90581.0
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

The Omega Glory

• Staffordshire
    • Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2013, 19:21:36 »

Apologies for not replying sooner but thanks for the tip. Carried out the pedal trick and codes recorded were; 0420 followed by 0430 which indicates the cat efficiency on both banks is down (the emissions light has been on for a while) but reading experiences on this site, is not too much to worry about and the car is running fine.
This was then followed by a 0300 then 0303 which points to a random and cylinder 3 misfire from the info on the forum.
Thanks again for the help.
 :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2013, 19:35:50 »

Apologies for not replying sooner but thanks for the tip. Carried out the pedal trick and codes recorded were; 0420 followed by 0430 which indicates the cat efficiency on both banks is down (the emissions light has been on for a while) but reading experiences on this site, is not too much to worry about and the car is running fine.
This was then followed by a 0300 then 0303 which points to a random and cylinder 3 misfire from the info on the forum.
Thanks again for the help.
 :y

0420/0430 no problem with those,you need to sort the cause of the misfire though or you risk buggering a cat due to unburnt fuel entering it :)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

The Omega Glory

• Staffordshire
    • Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2013, 19:54:52 »

Thanks, it's only low down on the revs at present and seems ok on acceleration and normal driving, but I'll keep an eye on it. It appears the 1-3-5 coil pack is breaking down. My nephew works at Arnold Clarke's and I'm going to speak to him about getting a new pack.
 :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2013, 01:03:34 »

Misfire at idle that goes away under acceleration suggests a vacuum leak. Use carb cleaner to fire at parts of the intake and listen for a hissing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPqbaSgcok
RIP Paul Lovejoy

The Omega Glory

• Staffordshire
    • Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2013, 22:45:29 »

Ok thanks. I'll check that out to make sure before I get a new pack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.