Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3034673 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #20325 on: 05 May 2020, 20:45:13 »

Doh... I blame Brexit. Or was it the Chinese? Or Matt Hancock? Or Donald and his disinfectant...  ::)

Pop the negative off if it's sitting. Check the key works the drivers door lock first though ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20326 on: 05 May 2020, 22:24:12 »

Ive been using it for work occasionally so its not sitting for long periods. I had the headlights out to polish the lenses and when I refiited them I checked they were working ok. Then somehow thought I had switched them off, but stopped one click short and left the sidelights on.
What a dick !
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #20327 on: 05 May 2020, 22:25:50 »

Ive been using it for work occasionally so its not sitting for long periods. I had the headlights out to polish the lenses and when I refiited them I checked they were working ok. Then somehow thought I had switched them off, but stopped one click short and left the sidelights on.
What a dick !
Been telling you that for years, Albs.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20328 on: 05 May 2020, 22:27:24 »

Far cough scouse git.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20329 on: 06 May 2020, 14:38:18 »

Nice and sunny outside today and the wind has died down, so thought I'd tackle the exhaust heat shield stud that snapped off when I was doing the handbrake cable the other week. This is a critical one, as it holds the ends of the middle and last shield. Luckily it's on a cross strut box section, so ideal to drill, tap and fit a M5 screw.

Everyone likes a picture, so here's my progress.

The only other 2 which snapped off are midway, so they're well secured at either ends and jointly in the middle too. I'm going to leave these as they are because it's thinner gauge floor pan, and I don't want to risk drilling into anything like a wiring loom or anything which might be under the carpet inside.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20330 on: 06 May 2020, 17:45:10 »

....... and over 2 hours just to replace the fuel filter. I'd bought some special pliers for the job, but seeing as this one had been on the car for 20 years, nothing was going to give. Astras and Corsas are easy because you can get to them, but GM decided in their wisdom to hide it up behind the diff on the Omega where you can't get to it.

After the disaster last time I changed an original one on another car, I didn't want to damage the pipe fittings this time, and it's almost impossible to get a screwdriver behind those tabs as well as a second hand in there.

The swear jar is overflowing again  :-[ but at least the job's done.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20331 on: 06 May 2020, 19:12:17 »

Used the Monaro for work
Funny how the journey didnt take as long

antanasg12345

• United Kingdom
    • Audi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20332 on: 07 May 2020, 11:52:21 »

Finally I was able to fix my steering wheel. It kept on locking randomly whenever I steer it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20333 on: 07 May 2020, 12:04:14 »

Finally I was able to fix my steering wheel. It kept on locking randomly whenever I steer it.
Do the indicators work? The switch will sieze up if you don't use them, which is probably what's causing the steering wheel to jam.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2020, 12:05:59 by Doctor Gollum »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20334 on: 07 May 2020, 13:59:49 »

.      Whenever? Don’t you steer all the time then?
Laying a rubber road.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20335 on: 07 May 2020, 15:24:16 »

....... and over 2 hours just to replace the fuel filter. I'd bought some special pliers for the job, but seeing as this one had been on the car for 20 years, nothing was going to give. Astras and Corsas are easy because you can get to them, but GM decided in their wisdom to hide it up behind the diff on the Omega where you can't get to it.

After the disaster last time I changed an original one on another car, I didn't want to damage the pipe fittings this time, and it's almost impossible to get a screwdriver behind those tabs as well as a second hand in there.

The swear jar is overflowing again  :-[ but at least the job's done.

I finally bought the correct tool for this job last year...

https://ebay.us/JnzvDL

....after years of pissing around with cheapo Sealey tools and screwdrivers.

I also found that on the saloon it can help to take the pipe off the tank top plate and drop it down so you can lower the whole lot down.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #20336 on: 07 May 2020, 16:33:57 »

Well after finding some holes in the passenger wheel arch, went onto clean the engine bay, long overdue, and had ordered a heel mat for the car mats that I have had sitting around for quite some time as the old ones had a lot of heavy footed holes in the drivers one, so they have been binned. Could'nt get the right colour of heel plate so sprayed and coated, pics below....

Before...

After.....

Heel Pad for the car mat...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20337 on: 07 May 2020, 20:14:16 »

Over the last couple of days, discs and pads all round. Discs were original, and the pads have been changed previously, about a decade ago from the way the discs were welded to the hub flanges ::) handbrake mechanism was all free and in good order and looks to be factory judging by the paint spots on the retaining springs. Just needs a final tweak, so that'll get done next week...

Discovered that the rear brake hoses are perished ::) so ordered front and rears...

Then went to change the OSF rear lower arm ball joint, and quickly discovered that in order to do so the front lower arm needs removing as it's in the way. Everything, including the abs sensor 8), came apart easily... Except the front lower arm to hub ball joint. Could I get that apart? Could I fek, ended up throwing it back together. Didn't even pretend to look at the near side one :-X

Inner bushes are also a bit ropey, so set of front arms is in the offing. But there's a catch. The front struts attach to a ball joint on the lower arm... With a pair of 5mm grub screws. ;D

Lots of plus gas, a couple of spare hex bits and a handful of lucky pills before I even think about starting that job...

On a positive note, the last MoT had an advisory for rear shocks damaged both sides.

All four struts are tidy, dry and perfectly serviceable, if a little aged, more importantly, the Airmatic works.

Two steps forward, two steps back and all that.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20338 on: 07 May 2020, 20:48:35 »

Had front tyres replaced. £150 so ok with that. Nexens.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20339 on: 08 May 2020, 17:04:55 »

Over the last couple of days, discs and pads all round. Discs were original, and the pads have been changed previously, about a decade ago from the way the discs were welded to the hub flanges ::) handbrake mechanism was all free and in good order and looks to be factory judging by the paint spots on the retaining springs. Just needs a final tweak, so that'll get done next week...

Discovered that the rear brake hoses are perished ::) so ordered front and rears...

Then went to change the OSF rear lower arm ball joint, and quickly discovered that in order to do so the front lower arm needs removing as it's in the way. Everything, including the abs sensor 8), came apart easily... Except the front lower arm to hub ball joint. Could I get that apart? Could I fek, ended up throwing it back together. Didn't even pretend to look at the near side one :-X

Inner bushes are also a bit ropey, so set of front arms is in the offing. But there's a catch. The front struts attach to a ball joint on the lower arm... With a pair of 5mm grub screws. ;D

Lots of plus gas, a couple of spare hex bits and a handful of lucky pills before I even think about starting that job...

On a positive note, the last MoT had an advisory for rear shocks damaged both sides.

All four struts are tidy, dry and perfectly serviceable, if a little aged, more importantly, the Airmatic works.

Two steps forward, two steps back and all that.

You need some heat.   A plumbers Torch might do, takes time to get it red tho.
Hoof'land storeman.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.