Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel gauge prob?  (Read 1362 times)

Taxi_Driver

Fuel gauge prob?
« on: 02 December 2006, 18:19:26 »

When my fuel tank gets to around 1/4 tank.....when i first switch on it can show empty (with warning light on) and very slowly creep upto 1/4......doesnt always do this....and never if ive got more than 1/4 tank.
Earlier when i went out in it......gauge showed 1/4 no probs straight away....

But i did go to the co-op  ::) When i got back in .....gauge went to 1/4 and then dropped straight to empty (with warning light on) and very slowly crept back to 1/4 tank again.

Any ideas? Its not really a problem.....just a pain and if theres an easy fix.....i'll have a go  :y

Cheers
« Last Edit: 02 December 2006, 18:47:37 by Taxi_Driver »

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel guage prob?
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2006, 18:27:16 »

Stay away from supermarkets, you know how much trouble AA has there.  ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2006, 18:32:16 »

Float problem maybe?

Actually, I seem to recall a TIS article about floats getting caught and misreading under certain situations...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2006, 18:32:36 »

Stay away from supermarkets, you know how much trouble AA has there.  ;D

Guess i'll have to start food shopping online then  ;D

It also sometimes does it when parked outside my house......should i move house?  ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2006, 18:44:38 »

Float problem maybe?

Actually, I seem to recall a TIS article about floats getting caught and misreading under certain situations...

Is that a back seat out job? to access float under a cover?......seem to recall on other cars ive had thats how to get to it.....but dont know on an omega estate  :-/
If its under the spare wheel area.....then it'll be a no no and just live with it....as theres a lpg tank in there....and i aint taking that out  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2006, 18:48:12 »

In boot area on saloon, dunno about estate :(

Could also be duff connection somewhere as well - instrument panel not connected properly etc...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel gauge prob?
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2006, 19:12:28 »

When my fuel tank gets to around 1/4 tank.....when i first switch on it can show empty (with warning light on) and very slowly creep upto 1/4......doesnt always do this....and never if ive got more than 1/4 tank.

But i did go to the co-op  ::) When i got back in .....gauge went to 1/4 and then dropped straight to empty (with warning light on) and very slowly crept back to 1/4 tank again.

Any ideas? Its not really a problem.....just a pain and if theres an easy fix.....i'll have a go  :y

Cheers
My fuel gauge always seems to be in the red!  :(  Average is 24.6 mpg & going down slowly. Infact I've just got 14 miles left on the tank but couldn't face the queue at Tesco's on my way home from work this afternoon!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2006, 19:15:44 »

I seem to recall the earth on the estate being near the passenger side rear light cluster....worth checking.

The access plate for the sender/pump is in the boot floor in front of the spare wheel well.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2006, 19:22:48 »

In boot area on saloon, dunno about estate :(

Could also be duff connection somewhere as well - instrument panel not connected properly etc...

If i had TIS, which obviously i dont... it might say the fuel sensor is in the same place....on estates/saloons.....but im not convinced this is the right sensor....as it goes on about rev counter increments.....dunno  :-/

Did have the instrument panel out about a year ago to replace blown bulbs.....but ive not any other prob with anything else?  :-/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2006, 19:31:45 »

I seem to recall the earth on the estate being near the passenger side rear light cluster....worth checking.

Ahhh cheers Mark.....Now i have played with that area....when i fitted rear parking sensors...its where i got the earth from when i fitted them..so i'll double check i didnt leave anything loose  :y

Failing that the access point is in front of the spare wheel area   :y....i'll have a poke around there next....just got polystyrene in the way there!

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2006, 21:47:50 »

Mine does it when low on fuel (30-40miles) and I start it up & set off in a hurry - ok if I'm nice to it though and fine next time started up. :-[

But fast getaways aren't your style, so more likely to be the earth.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2006, 21:08:59 »

The access plate for the sender/pump is in the boot floor in front of the spare wheel well.

Checked the earth today....nice and tight  :y.....next step i guess is check the sender wiring

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2006, 15:56:28 »

Cheers

Mine does the same. I just ignore it and routinely fill up around 250 miles which seems to get about £45 so plenty left but with unreliable gauge don't want to take the risk

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.