Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mis Fire & Ignition Leads  (Read 1290 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Mis Fire & Ignition Leads
« on: 01 September 2007, 09:55:50 »

Okay stripped down the estate last week to solve the onging misfire - its already got new dispack and seemed okay for a while.

centre ignition lead on both banks are corroded and really cant be helping - ive ordered new ones but now ben let down by the seller.  >:( more on that cowboy later....

I have 3 brand new unused leads in th garage - all three for the drivers side bank as you look at the engine bay so i can temporarily replace the middle broken lead there with no issues - ideally i want to replace them all....

Now can i use one of my spare leads ( they are for this model of vehicle) and replace the middle lead on the shorter passenger bank /

Im concerned that ( the only difference is ) the lead i am putting in is longer and may upset spark / timing etc

Would it ?

:y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Mis Fire & Ignition Leads
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2007, 10:14:27 »

Nah, it'll be fine...

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2007, 10:16:36 »

Have you compression tested it?  [smiley=evil.gif]

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2007, 10:31:16 »

Have you compression tested it?  [smiley=evil.gif]

not yet, sure its more down to the leads - two of them are atrocious....however if it isnt better that will be next in line... :)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2007, 13:03:48 »

Don't worry about the lead length it will make a small amount of difference to the lead resistance but the ignition system won't care.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2007, 19:01:51 »

Aaaargh

suspect leads replaced and .......same misfire. Running out of ideas. Also pushed for time before the rain came back in so put back together quick style.

Intrstingly when engine is cold and reving there is no lump / misfire, when the operating temp gets more akin to normal level the miss starts to appear.... ::)

Anyone have further ideas on the misfire? All the usual suspects are now replaced ( plugs, leads, dis, cam covers bone dry....) Idle seems not too bad..
« Last Edit: 01 September 2007, 19:30:51 by Markiec »

up2ng

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2007, 23:53:49 »

Aaaargh

suspect leads replaced and .......same misfire. Running out of ideas. Also pushed for time before the rain came back in so put back together quick style.

Intrstingly when engine is cold and reving there is no lump / misfire, when the operating temp gets more akin to normal level the miss starts to appear.... ::)

Anyone have further ideas on the misfire? All the usual suspects are now replaced ( plugs, leads, dis, cam covers bone dry....) Idle seems not too bad..

I have just done the same thing w/ my 1998 Catera and I'm still getting the 4000-4500 misfire/hesitation.
This is the weird part, sometimes when it misfires I'll stop and turn the motor off and on again and no more misfire.
I also have valve chatter on acceleration for the first time ever only since replacing the rocker gaskets.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2007, 00:19:24 »

Aaaargh

For the third time, compression test it :P

It will give you a very good indication of the condition of the engine, and is a dead easy test to do.

Engine needs four things to run.. air, fuel, spark and compression. so if you have air, you have fuel, you have spark... then check the next thing in line ;)

What's the history of this car... did you buy it with the misfire, not knowing the cause?

If so, I suspect it's had a cambelt failure, and you have a valve not seating right.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2007, 11:27:51 »

Aaaargh

For the third time, compression test it :P

It will give you a very good indication of the condition of the engine, and is a dead easy test to do.

Engine needs four things to run.. air, fuel, spark and compression. so if you have air, you have fuel, you have spark... then check the next thing in line ;)

What's the history of this car... did you buy it with the misfire, not knowing the cause?

If so, I suspect it's had a cambelt failure, and you have a valve not seating right.

You are a devil  ;D

Got compression test kit and wont be doing the test..why?

Well because its fixed  :D seemed a little lumpy after the leads were fixed, then the crank sensor failed 100%.

Replaced crank sensor and its beautiful - perfect idle, pulling like a train, no hesitation.

So i guess the unanswered question is - can a dodgy crank sensor affect running as well as starting?

Oh and its Bob Dents old estate  ;)

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2007, 11:58:45 »

Glad to hear its all fixed mate. Well done :y
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.