Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: you couldn't make it up !!  (Read 1962 times)

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
you couldn't make it up !!
« on: 14 May 2007, 19:12:41 »

i always thought the people in my head office were complete muppets, but this made my mind up !!
engineer- (off sick) ive a problem with sharp pains in my leg.
occupational health office- what leg is it?
engineer- the right one.
o.h.o- in that case would an automatic van be any better for you?
i give up......................
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Ronald_McBurger

Re: you couldn't make it up !!
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2007, 19:38:42 »

What is wrong with driving an automatic van with your left leg? It is what a lot of amputees do every day. (not the van, just an automatic)

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2007, 19:41:27 »

amputees would have become acustom to operating the brake pedal safely with their left foot!

you ever tried braking with your left foot, having been so used to using the right foot all the time previously? :D
« Last Edit: 14 May 2007, 19:42:02 by D4NNY »

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2007, 19:53:14 »

it would certainly bugger me up driving like that i can tell ya. and the engineer doesnt have a permanent disability just a stabbing pain now and again, mind you we do at least 500+ miles a week.
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

miggy

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2007, 19:56:27 »

I once braked with the left foot, nearly butted the windscreen [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
amputees would have become acustom to operating the brake pedal safely with their left foot!

you ever tried braking with your left foot, having been so used to using the right foot all the time previously? :D
« Last Edit: 14 May 2007, 19:56:53 by miggy »

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2007, 20:05:21 »

exactly, I did the same on the day I bought my beast, I'd only had one car before and it was a manual and had never driven an automatic, so coming to the end of the first road i drove on during test drive I instinctively went for a non existant clutch and hit the brake with the left foot, and you'd be shocked at how heavy you catch it when you think you're only gonna touch it lightly with the left foot

did a pretty good face plant on my steering wheel!

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2007, 20:38:12 »

Forget the van - how about a 3.2 Elite estate instead.   :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2007, 20:46:05 »

I use my left foot for braking most of the time..
Is the world ready for me..

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2007, 20:52:55 »

Wrong danny. i am both registered disabled and an approved driving instructor. trust me, as long as they can manage, that is all that is required.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2007, 22:45:54 »

I use my left foot for braking most of the time..

Like wise.

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2007, 22:50:03 »

I mainly left foot brake

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2007, 22:51:13 »

My father-in-law suffered a stroke years ago and was left more or less paralised on his right hand side. He has a left foot accelerator fitted to his car. It's a very well thought out conversion that allows either a left OR right accelerator, as you lift one of them up & out of the way, the other drops down.

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2007, 23:28:28 »

I use my left foot for all braking in an auto.Suprisingly easy to get used to modulating your braking imput ,even in an emergency situation.I started many ,many years ago when I owned a Humber Super Snipe auto which refused to idle, so keeping it running whilst braking required both feet - one on the brake and one on the throttle to stop the thing from stalling.The habit has stuck to this day.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2007, 23:48:45 »

I use my left foot for all braking in an auto.Suprisingly easy to get used to modulating your braking imput ,even in an emergency situation.I started many ,many years ago when I owned a Humber Super Snipe auto which refused to idle, so keeping it running whilst braking required both feet - one on the brake and one on the throttle to stop the thing from stalling.The habit has stuck to this day.

There's a Heel-and-Toe technique for that, which is a must in track cars as they are all manual, but the accelerator and brake pedals have to be at the same level for this.

Basically you twist your right foot inwards, keep the toes on the brake pedal and the heel on the accelerator, this allows you to brake and accelerate at the same time.

Just in case is sound too loony (why would you want to brake and accelerate at the same time?), you don't do this while the clutch is engaged, instead you do this when you change gears midcorenr - it allows you to rev up the engine before popping the clutch, while slowing-down through the bend.  You need to develop some feel to operate the accelerator with the heel which is less sensitive than the front of the foot, but other than that it works a charm.

Alas, no more Omegas....

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2007, 00:20:01 »

Yeah,heel & toeing, another lost art .I learnt that technique in the sixties when I owned a 1958 Thames 4D 3 ton van,powered by a sidevalve V8 with a 4 speed crash gearbox without any form of syncromesh on any gears. If you fluffed a downchange on a steep hill you had to stop and start again in first.I soon became expert  at timing the changes, eventually I became able to do totally clutchless changes once the gearbox oil was hot. The technique was also invaluble when I started competing in rallies a few years later.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.