Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Renault  (Read 2529 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Renault
« Reply #15 on: 10 December 2021, 18:15:31 »

I seem to remember a niva being on top gear. Obviously, they tried to break it, can't recall if they did or not  :-\
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 December 2021, 18:17:59 »

Didn't they say the Niva was a reasonably capable 4x4?  :-\
Still available new as well...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 December 2021, 18:30:50 »

Back in the day a mate of mine owned a Moskvitch.

It was evil...... :)

My Dad had a yellow Moskvitch for a while, it was built like a tank and I expect it handled like one as well!  ;D

Yes I think you're right Andy.  :y

The Lada Niva has a reputation of being good off road, apparently is hard to break and has quite a following I believe.  :)

The one I test drove was an " exclusive" edition called a Cossack had bull bars and bigger wheels etc the salesman said that his 1600e Cortina was a much better car to drive than one of these, can't imagine he lasted long there.

He was probably right though, as I'd imagine that even a modern Lada Niva is a bit like driving a 1970's Series III Land Rover!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 December 2021, 18:38:47 »

My Dad had a yellow Moskvitch for a while, it was built like a tank and I expect it handled like one as well!  ;D

The Lada Niva has a reputation of being good off road, apparently is hard to break and has quite a following I believe.  :)

The one I test drove was an " exclusive" edition called a Cossack had bull bars and bigger wheels etc the salesman said that his 1600e Cortina was a much better car to drive than one of these, can't imagine he lasted long there.

He was probably right though, as I'd imagine that even a modern Lada Niva is a bit like driving a 1970's Series III Land Rover!  ;D

I test drove it in Purley near Croydon ,I came down one steep hill and started to brake & really didn't think I was going to stop, was glad to get back in my Granada Ghia 3.0 that really was a proper car.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 December 2021, 18:39:26 »

Yellow Moskvitch and a yellow Marina....Hmmm. ::) ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2021, 19:02:30 »

Yellow Moskvitch and a yellow Marina....Hmmm. ::) ::)

BL mustard Morris Marina 1800TC Coupe........  With a thick hand painted black gloss go faster stripe down the bonnet!  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2021, 20:00:06 »

I had a test drive in a Lads Niva & a FSO Polonez back in the seventies/ eighties , luckily I had enough sense not to purchase either of them, even the salesman had to admit that the Ladas brakes were virtually non existent terrible for a brand new car finished up buying a year old LWB Nissan Patrol.

The commies produced some crap back in the day.

2 stroke Wartburg Knight anyone? ::) ::) ::)

A school mate of mine had one of them as his first car. It sounded (and drove) like it had a steam engine under the bonnet.  ;D

The trail of blue smoke behind it was a dead giveaway, though.

Hours of fun was had bump starting it in reverse and marvelling at the 4 reverse gears and one forward. :D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 December 2021, 20:06:00 »

Mate had a Moskvich van back in the '70's,had a running issue with it which I cured by cleaning the jets in the carburettor out.He then lent me it for a week to take family away on holiday not the most inspiring thing to drive but it did ok.I had a Wartburg estate for a year three cylinder two stroke with a separate coil/plug lead for each cylinder and a freewheel device fitted,loved annoying following motorists[and pedestrians probably]by leaving a thick blue haze of exhaust smoke behind me :D

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 December 2021, 21:15:12 »

Now you know you are old when you have worked on all these !!

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 December 2021, 11:14:31 »

I had a test drive in a Lads Niva & a FSO Polonez back in the seventies/ eighties , luckily I had enough sense not to purchase either of them, even the salesman had to admit that the Ladas brakes were virtually non existent terrible for a brand new car finished up buying a year old LWB Nissan Patrol.

They certainly did, the only reason I was looking at these cheap & nasty pieces of shite was with two young kids I wanted something reasonably new & cheap, decided that the better option was to hammer the overtime & keep a decent properly constructed vehicle.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 December 2021, 11:21:18 »

They certainly did, the only reason I was looking at these cheap & nasty pieces of shite was with two young kids I wanted something reasonably new & cheap, decided that the better option was to hammer the overtime & keep a decent properly constructed vehicle.

I think it was the Trabant that had wings made of cardboard?  ???  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 December 2021, 11:48:49 »

My aunt bought two Lada Rivas; the first was to replace the Viva Grandad gave her when her retired and quit driving.

A little while later, she didn't expect my mother to stop for a changing traffic light and hit the back of the similarly new Avenger. Both cars were recovered back to Chatham from Greenwich. That was Saturday lunchtime. Our local garage ordered a new radiator and the broken grille that had punctured it was epoxied back together. Driving by mid-afternoon Tuesday. We got the Avenger back nearly two months later after it had two new quarter panels and a boot floor.

The second one needed a new carburettor after it warped on a trip to the south of France to visit other family. She nursed it back home to Plymouth via Calais, and bought a genuine Weber replacement carb. Which improved drivability, power and fuel economy and paid for itself very quickly.

Both cars had the most uncomfortable seats, which were like sitting on a plank. Apparently the steering was a lot heavier than the Vivas was ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 December 2021, 12:32:27 »

The most uncomfortable car I've ever driven was my father in laws  G reg Vauxhall Nova , he bought it knew  & I swear that the steering wheel served a dual purpose as it prevented you slipping out of the drivers seat ..😅

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 December 2021, 20:15:35 »

There is a Lada Riva on Top Gear at the moment.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 December 2021, 20:48:09 »

There is a Lada Riva on Top Gear at the moment.
And a Niva.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.