Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 98 elite satnav upgrade ??  (Read 5594 times)

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
Re: 98 elite satnav upgrade ??
« Reply #45 on: 20 February 2007, 19:48:44 »

Nice one Joe,

Many thanks, for accepting the invite to advise us,,

Cheers Dave C
Do it right, do it once................

jud1255

• Barnsley M1 jnct 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 February 2007, 20:48:16 »

mark,
 have you still got it and is there any chance of us using it , im sure we could come to some arrangment that suits you.
although im not 100% sure wether i actually need it as my hw/ sw is as follows
Ident No 581/75
HW id   0105
SW id 0230
Product date 98 / 04.
looking forward to your response and anybody else that might have this disc.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 20 February 2007, 21:34:01 »

mark,
 have you still got it and is there any chance of us using it , im sure we could come to some arrangment that suits you.
although im not 100% sure wether i actually need it as my hw/ sw is as follows
Ident No 581/75
HW id   0105
SW id 0230
Product date 98 / 04.
looking forward to your response and anybody else that might have this disc.
Sorry to be a spoil sport, as this is a good, imformative thread, but, AFAIK, the upgrade is not a 'free' upgrade, and hence we cannot allow discussion about borrowing CDs etc etc. :(. I may be wrong, and it may be a free upgrade, or Carin no longer care, but you need to confirm that first ;)

No problem discussion what the different versions and software/map combinations do though :).
« Last Edit: 20 February 2007, 21:35:40 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

jud1255

• Barnsley M1 jnct 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 21 February 2007, 11:34:57 »

ok, but "if" it is obsolete how are we supposed to upgrade, are we to  stay with what weve got.
This dont seem fair.
therefor im open to suggestions.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 February 2007, 12:23:59 »

ok, but "if" it is obsolete how are we supposed to upgrade, are we to  stay with what weve got.
This dont seem fair.
therefor im open to suggestions.
Alas, once the vendor decides its obsolete, and shortly afterwards stops supplying updates, thats just tough.

TBH, the Carin unit fitted is a really old system (ie 10 yrs old!) in a fast moving sector - would you expect your computer supplier to keep your 10yr old PC updated, with parts available?

Compared to software, Carin is from Windows 95 OSR2 era (96/97ish). Do you think its fair that Microsoft no longer provide any update or support for Win9x users.  I think its fair, as its time to move on...
Grumpy old man

jud1255

• Barnsley M1 jnct 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 21 February 2007, 12:30:14 »

yes i agree but if it is obsolete and ancient and no longer available, are'nt we in order trying to get hold of the updates from where ever possible.
even if this means borrowing / buying etc.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 February 2007, 12:32:43 »

yes i agree but if it is obsolete and ancient and no longer available, are'nt we in order trying to get hold of the updates from where ever possible.
even if this means borrowing / buying etc.
You need to clarify with vendor.

I know MS still don't allow copying of older software ;)
Grumpy old man

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 February 2007, 16:17:40 »

Just for the info of anyone out there if your software is id 0230 then you have the most recent firmware available. SW id 0230 = Ver 2.3. The retail Carin runs to Ver 2.9 or SW id 0290. The firmware is actually not the problem its the ancient slow running processor that struggles to cope with the much much larger modern discs. Its a bit like trying to run Office XP on a Pentium 133. When Carin fist came on the market in 1996 the Mapping discs were regional and very small, London and the south east being digitally mapped first and the system gradually expanded.  

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 February 2007, 19:42:43 »

Not wishing to start fighting or any other silly stuff!  Just to make a point though!  Surely, VX dealers would only have 1 copy of the firmware and would use this to upgrade as nesessary on many vehicles, (i.e. shareware kinda thing) Effectively it's not software, BUT, an upgrade to aid running later software, so if I was to borrow this disc, use it and return it, (i.e. NOT making illegal copies of it) then surely I'm not contraveining any copyright restrictions..  This is my view, whilst respecting the views of TB and Omega Owners Forum & Carin / VDO Dayton..

Cheers Dave C

Any chance of a borrow???????  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21 February 2007, 19:57:30 »

Not wishing to start fighting or any other silly stuff!  Just to make a point though!  Surely, VX dealers would only have 1 copy of the firmware and would use this to upgrade as nesessary on many vehicles, (i.e. shareware kinda thing) Effectively it's not software, BUT, an upgrade to aid running later software, so if I was to borrow this disc, use it and return it, (i.e. NOT making illegal copies of it) then surely I'm not contraveining any copyright restrictions..  This is my view, whilst respecting the views of TB and Omega Owners Forum & Carin / VDO Dayton..

Cheers Dave C

Any chance of a borrow???????  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y
You may be right. However, you may not be.  It is possible that the dealer has to (or is supposed to) buy a CD or some other upgrade fee for each one.  Its possible it is a 'free' upgrade (perhaps a small fee to dealer for doing), but I don't know...

It really needs to be confirmed with GM/Carin.  Though, what do you hope to gain from firmware update?

I know the map upgrades do have a fee per unit.

Grumpy old man

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 21 February 2007, 20:07:48 »

Wish I knew what the advantages were to the upgrade, I suppose it's, "The Wanting the Best for What We Got , syndrome" Truthfully, postcodes would be good, then like the gearbox ecu upgrade, it may make a massive difference... would love to find out!!!

What I will say is that, I've recently run Teleatlas 06/07 and Navteq 03 and the Navteq is much quicker and from my findings more advantagous with faster responses to change in position, more notice of junctions etc.

Any views on comparisons?

« Last Edit: 21 February 2007, 20:18:58 by dave_c »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 February 2007, 20:19:56 »

Wish I knew what the advantages were to the upgrade, I suppose it's, "The Wanting the Best for What We Got , syndrome" Truthfully, postcodes would be good, then like the gearbox ecu upgrade, it may make a massive difference... would love to find out!!!

What I will say is that, I've recently run Teleatlas 06/07 and Carin 03 and the Carin is much quicker and from my findings more advantagous with faster responses to change in position, more notice of junctions etc.

Any views on comparisons?

I don't think the Carin fitted by GM can do full postcodes with any firmware...   ...full postcode search is a recent thing, even on standalone units (which tends to be more feature rich than factory fit systems)
Grumpy old man

jud1255

• Barnsley M1 jnct 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 February 2007, 20:28:20 »

dave, i agree with your 2nd paragraph ive just got the 2007 and i also have noticed it being very quick in recognising the junctions and direction of travel and as said b4 now i can at least put in partial post code which saves time having to type in the full city name.
As for the 0230 version thanks to mark for confirming that i have the latest firmware.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 February 2007, 20:37:26 »

I don't think the Carin fitted by GM can do full postcodes with any firmware...  

ISTR that the Post Office charge a substantial licensing fee for users of the full postcode in products. This is why many sat nav systems only use the first half of the code to get an approximate position. I would say this makes it unlikely that the developer of an old system would stump up the cash to upgrade an ageing product in that way.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.