Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaving the engine running?  (Read 2295 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Leaving the engine running?
« on: 29 December 2007, 23:05:36 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=504888&in_page_id=1770

I see bus drivers do this all the time - leave the bus with the engine running and the passengers on-board.

Alas, no more Omegas....

cem_devecioglu

Re: Leaving the engine running?
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2007, 23:13:43 »

30 £ penalty for leaving the car engine running..And he says he locked up.. >:(

They don't have another trouble  :-?

Nickbat

« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2007, 23:20:25 »

"The officer tried to offer words of advice to the individual but the male refused to accept them and so the officer was left with no option but to issue a fixed penalty notice of £30."

Seems like a belligerent Merc driver. Could have said "Sorry, Officer", but no, he probably told him to f**k off or similar, hence the £30 fine. Serves the prat right in my book. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2007, 23:22:19 »

Next time he'll just drive off with frozen windows >:(

The letter of the law perhaps, but there's got to be room for a bit of common sense somewhere, surely?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

miggy

« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2007, 23:24:24 »

Next time he'll just drive off with frozen windows >:(

The letter of the law perhaps, but there's got to be room for a bit of common sense somewhere, surely?

Kevin

As said, he must have given them some verbal

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2007, 23:32:01 »

its just geting f**ing stupid now with the police and cars! Cameras taking your picture if you take a hand off the wheel to scratch your ass and now this...

I think the police need to put their resources to better use.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2007, 02:34:05 »

"The officer tried to offer words of advice to the individual but the male refused to accept them and so the officer was left with no option but to issue a fixed penalty notice of £30."

Seems like a belligerent Merc driver. Could have said "Sorry, Officer", but no, he probably told him to f**k off or similar, hence the £30 fine. Serves the prat right in my book. :y
"The officer tried to offer words of advice to the individual but the male refused to accept them and so the officer was left with no option but to issue a fixed penalty notice of £30.

Cos the copper thought he 'was the law' not enforcing the law! A bit like the 'belligerent' bike copper that tried to do me for no road tax/vehicle excise tax cos he didn't see the road tax at the bottom of the screen of my Dad's car! Wind & sail springs to mind!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2007, 04:28:56 »

Suppose my Kenlowe pre heat and remote start (which saves MPG) is out the window now??

I'm starting to think maybe I should remove my Tax Disc each night, in case it gets stolen!!!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2007, 11:15:27 »

I think the whole idea is wrong - if you 'accept' your guilt and show remorse you are let off by a warning, but if you are 'defiant' then you get fined... If the policy is to warn, then everyone should be warned, not fined, regardless of their attitude... but this is life, and the police are human as well, when someone gives them an argument then they are bound to get personal...

But setting this aside, as far as I am aware leaving the engine running without the driver at the wheel is illegal, just as coasting downhill in neutral is....
Alas, no more Omegas....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2007, 11:56:35 »

Who knows what the real situation was? Copper could have politely pointed out that technically it's an offence to have left the car running with no intention to prosecute and got a load of jip off the Merc driver.

Merc driver could have been politely pointing out that he'd taken measures to secure the car and Copper thought he was being a smart @rse.

Either way, it sounds like the copper had decided it wasn't worthy of a conviction but just a caution and then changed his mind when talking to the bloke. Not sure I 100% agree with that. The crime isn't altered by the guy's attitude but I guess the copper is free to use his discretion.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2007, 12:06:53 »

personally i think  all this does is bring the law into disrepute, all the copper  needed to do is point out that  it was an offence(isn't everything nowadays)and then if the chaps car got nicked then basically tough sh*t.what possible purpose could it off served to nick him.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2007, 12:08:38 by sassanach »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2007, 12:12:34 »

Incidentally, the insurer will no pay if the keys are 'left in the vicinity of the vehicle'. One of my clients had his brand new SL55 AMG nicked, the insurance company did not believe it could be nicked without the key and made the owner submit both keys to them plus a letter from Merc that he never applied for a spare key... had they not received this they would not have paid out, it took him several months to get the money. So if your car does get nicked while you leave it with the engine running and your insurer finds-out, you're not covered....
Alas, no more Omegas....

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2007, 15:27:29 »

so there's this mod which you can fit to your car which allows the engine to be started for half an hour or so to warm it up, it cuts out automatically when you press a pedal, to avoid theft

considered a luxury by the owners, it automatically makes you a criminal as seen by the cops

who is it harming?????

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2007, 15:34:06 »

I guess that the real answer is quite simple. If you get a knock at the door from a policeman telling you that it is an offence to leave the engine running when the vehicle is unattended, then just smile sweetly, thank him for the advice and go and turn the engine off. That way everybody is happy. Once he's gone, go and turn it back on again and go on your merry way.

If you want to antagonise the officer then get on your high horse and start an argument with him. That way he will do his job and enforce the laws that he's paid to do.

Simple really.  :y
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2007, 15:53:24 »

As far as I can remember an Officer is not forced to issue a ticket. It's up to their own discretion if they wish to use words of advice aka a bollocking, issue a ticket, report for courts summons or arrest.
If an artic overtakes you, you're driving too slow!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.