Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sounds like a tractor  (Read 1229 times)

YY05

• View Profile
Sounds like a tractor
« on: 25 February 2007, 15:32:27 »

Hi all

Just after a bit of advice. I have a petrol 2.0 Omega on a 98 R Reg. When I start the car it sounds like a diesel and the whilst stationery the car shakes and the gear stick vibrates. When the car is moving it is fine. Is this normal for an Omega or do I have a problem on my hands?

Thanks  :y

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Sounds like a tractor
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2007, 15:42:59 »

No it is not normal.

Could be a number of things.  :-/

The engine could have a mis fire. Running on not all 4 pots.
Blowing exhaust manifold, usually cracked between 2 and 3 cylinders.

Leaking oil from rocker cover gasket, shorting out plugs.

Does the engine management light come on when driven?
 8-)
DaveL

YY05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2007, 15:47:18 »

I don't get any warning lights. Could be exhaust as it does sound as though it is blowing but I didn't know that had te potential to make the whole car shake. Will get it checked out, thanks for the reply.

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2007, 16:14:59 »

Not a problem, see how it goes.

Depends upon how bad the exhaust has got. The engine needs a certain amount of back pressure to work.

Try looking at the oil around the plugs though. I had the same prob when visiting relatives last year in Devon. Car ran as rough as a badgers ar**. Took the cover off the top of the engine covering the plugs. Mine being a face lift has the coil contraption on the top of the plugs so no leads. Anyway oil had dribbled down the inside shorting out 1 and 2 plug so getting a nasty shake from engine. Sometimes it would be o.k. and some times the engine management light came on.

If it is this then it is an easy fix by taking off the rocker cover and resealing with good red hermatite. I know that the gasket should seal without but i would sooner be safe than sorry when broken down again in the rain.

The rocker has an hidden bolt holding the cover in the middle at the front. Make sure you take this out with the rest if you have to do this job yourself. A pal at work tried to take off the same rocker off his Vectra and caused a fracture to the edge where he stuck a screwdriver in to prise off the top.

The Muppet ended up with a new rocker from VX and a bill for £115 + vat.

8-)
DaveL

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2007, 19:39:56 »

My 2.0 sounds like this when cold (but not vibrating) - I believe its the valve gear.  Its done it for ages. (Car has 180k on it)

You say it goes away when you drive off. Does it return when you come to a stop?  or is it just when you start it up from cold?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2007, 19:41:17 »

After yesterday i would get the cambelt checked as well.....Tunnies 2.2 apparently (never heard it myself) was very noisey....Jamesv6cdx changed the cambelt/tensioner on it....it was very slack apparently before.....tensioner wasnt working as it should.....its now quiet again....i heard it after it was changed and quiet as mine now  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2007, 20:00:24 »

After yesterday i would get the cambelt checked as well.....Tunnies 2.2 apparently (never heard it myself) was very noisey....Jamesv6cdx changed the cambelt/tensioner on it....it was very slack apparently before.....tensioner wasnt working as it should.....its now quiet again....i heard it after it was changed and quiet as mine now  :y
I can confirm that Tunnies 2.2 is much, much quieter now....
Grumpy old man

YY05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2007, 20:56:47 »

My 2.0 sounds like this when cold (but not vibrating) - I believe its the valve gear.  Its done it for ages. (Car has 180k on it)

You say it goes away when you drive off. Does it return when you come to a stop?  or is it just when you start it up from cold?

It is as smooth as silk when driven but as soon as I pull up to a stand still the problem comes. The gear stick shakes like mad. Taking in at the weekend to get it looked at. I hope it's not going to be expensive  :o

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2007, 22:27:43 »

It could also Be the Breathers and Idle Control Valve.

If the engine is not getting enough air when ideling it could be just close to stalling and this could also cause it to sound rought and vibrate.

Is it ok when you rev the car from stand still ?

I would clean your breathers and ICV to be on the safe side as its a common problem with 2 litre omegas.

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2007, 23:58:32 »

It could also Be the Breathers and Idle Control Valve.

If the engine is not getting enough air when ideling it could be just close to stalling and this could also cause it to sound rought and vibrate.

Is it ok when you rev the car from stand still ?

I would clean your breathers and ICV to be on the safe side as its a common problem with 2 litre omegas.

Craig

Breather system doesn't necessarily supply the engine with air (not for the air/fuel mixture anyway).. it's so that the fumes generated in the crankcase can escape.. otherwise pressure builds up and blows gaskets.. usually in the form of cam covers...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.