Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: sump removal  (Read 1631 times)

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
sump removal
« on: 28 August 2008, 16:15:26 »

im in the middle of taking the sump off my 2.0 to clean, im stuck with 3 bolts.  2 under the crossmember and 1 just on the edge, im just after a how to on these bolts. i dont want to break owt in a tantrum so ive walked away........... ;) i thought the holes in the crossmember would take me straight up to the bolts but they dont seem to.
thanks
lee
« Last Edit: 28 August 2008, 16:16:02 by yorkshire_ripper »

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
Re: sump removal
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2008, 20:09:10 »

well i worked it out, engine mounts loosened and engine jacked up. sump was full of thick hard oil on the and the oil was like piss.. was only change 2 week ago. pick up pipe was solid and is now bathing in petrol.. is it best to buy a new one while im doing it ? how much are they?
here's a few pics
lee

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2008, 20:20:53 »

Remind me, whats the suspected issue?

Give the sump and pickup a good clean with paint stripper or soak in caustis soda (its steel so will be fine)....it will bring it up like new.

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2008, 20:33:45 »

hi mark
problems were originally oil light flickering on and off, changed oil pressure switch, oil + filter and that cured oil light. then i changed rocker cover gasket and cleaned top breather pipes. noisy top end and oil very thin after a week. also coolant loss but every time i checked HBV it seemed dry. on closer inspection today it has orange rust marks around pipes and valve itself so im gunna change it tomorrow. is the sump gasket reusable?
lee

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2008, 20:36:14 »

hi mark
problems were originally oil light flickering on and off, changed oil pressure switch, oil + filter and that cured oil light. then i changed rocker cover gasket and cleaned top breather pipes. noisy top end and oil very thin after a week. also coolant loss but every time i checked HBV it seemed dry. on closer inspection today it has orange rust marks around pipes and valve itself so im gunna change it tomorrow. is the sump gasket reusable?
lee

No, but you can use loctite 598 instead or the grey Vx sealent used on the V6 oil cooler plate.

Is the stuff in the sump in the picture emulsified oil, if so I would suspect the head gasket.

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2008, 21:09:20 »

yeh mark thats the 2 week old oil.... :o is the headgasket a big job on the 2.0 ? might aswell do it now while im kinda in the mood

lee

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2008, 21:24:50 »

yeh mark thats the 2 week old oil.... :o is the headgasket a big job on the 2.0 ? might aswell do it now while im kinda in the mood

lee

No, reasonably straight forward and actually not to pricey.

Its the amount of water in the oil that is the concern and hence the headgasket comment. Was there signs of water in the exhaust?

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2008, 21:55:48 »

Mr ripper has another thread on this Mark iirc. Seem to remember mention of thin oil but no mayo on the dipstick. Would you expect to see more white deposits or mayo than that? Do you think there may be fuel in there as well?

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2008, 22:42:15 »

no ive had no water/steam from the exhaust and as chris said no mayo anywhere.its never overheated either. im gunna put it back together tomorrow, run it and see how it goes. if it loses water and the oil goes like that again it must be the HG. i'll get a compression test done aswell. chris whats the story with the fuel in there ? massive overfuelling ?
lee

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2008, 21:41:18 »

mini update on this.....
put everything back together, lotsa oil blowing up to the head now ive cleaned all the breathers and pickup pipe. engine is quiet again :)
went for a drive after re checking levels. no overheating, car drove great but.... EML light is on, dosent seem to be affecting anything. do i need to do a paperclip test ?

lee

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2008, 00:19:24 »

mini update on this.....
put everything back together, lotsa oil blowing up to the head now ive cleaned all the breathers and pickup pipe. engine is quiet again :)
went for a drive after re checking levels. no overheating, car drove great but.... EML light is on, dosent seem to be affecting anything. do i need to do a paperclip test ?

lee
Def worth a paper clip test. Fuel thing relates to your other thread of thin oil and no mayo. Theory being a bad injector flowing more fuel than the cylinder can burn and washing past the rings into the oil and thinning it. But having seen the pics it clearly has water in there, i would just expect to see alot more mayo and sludge. The oil looks very thin as you say as if its been diluted with fuel. But you dont mention any fueling problems. So i am not sure its relevent now, i was just asking Mark if he agreed.
Was the water level the same after your drive?

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2008, 13:58:11 »

hi chris
yip its lost more water :-/, cant see any water leaks again, HBV is still dry, no drips or water under the car so its gotta be the HG, took oil cap off while it was running and the oil in the head looked milky again, dipped the oil and it was clean in the sump. i dont fooking no....its battering my head. i either get rid or do HG. is there a how to for the 2.0 HG you know of mate ?
cheers
lee

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2008, 20:11:26 »

just done a paperclip test and have got these codes back
0130 and 0505
can someone in the know tell me what they are please?
lee

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2008, 21:56:30 »

dont know the numbers yorkshire, but someone will advise, dont worry. Sounds like you got to do the Head gaskit tho.cant sell the bugger like that. Not to bad a job as mark says. Have as search, a cup of tea, take your time and go for it. You can do it.

yorkshire ripper

• leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2008, 22:04:50 »

hi chris
yeh the headgasket is getting done this week. codes are
0130 - O2 Sensor fault
0505 - Idle control valve fault.
thanks to mark for the info

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.