Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td fanbelt  (Read 353 times)

yatesDELTA

2.5td fanbelt
« on: 25 September 2008, 19:47:05 »

so my son is doing work experience in Hoddesdon which is a 20-30 min drive from Stevenage. I went to pick him up today then popped into the local crap cheap food shop cos i couldnt be assed to go tesco

He was in the car and being 15 decided to play Ozzy Osbourne loud enough to warn SWMBO we were coming... Anyways i drove off and as i drive alot i noticed engine sounded funny which i woulda noticed sooner if it wernt for me acting 30 years younger.

Drove to nearest carpark, getting close to the A10. So we stopped and looked under bonnet.. The fanbelt somehow came off.

I jacked the car up and got under and managed to put it back on. (please dont shout at me, i know its dangerous.) Anyways there was this bar thingy and it was like limp... so i pulled it up and drove home.. everything was alright, midn the A10 is no fun at 50mph.  

Okay do i have a major problem? have i gotta see a mechanic? will it happen again

And im rejoining the AA and having a service next week. Been put off a million times to many
« Last Edit: 25 September 2008, 19:48:12 by yatesDELTA »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5td fanbelt
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2008, 19:52:02 »

ok you need to check the current belt for wear first, if its over 30k old will prob be best to renew it anyway, on the bar thingy i.e. the tensioner there is a spring loaded piston type affair ,have seen the eyeholes on these wear enough to allow the belt to go slack and then the tensioner allows the arm to go over centre and the belt goes slack!! new tensioner is around 50quid i think but i have taken out the play on one by fitting small tubes in the enlarged holes to take up the slack which worked making the car safer to drive as when the belt falls off the power steering disappears!!your choice!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2008, 21:25:37 »

Is the tensioner 'damper' still working, and firmly attached
Grumpy old man

yatesDELTA

« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2008, 22:14:29 »

could you describe what this is please? ill check tomorow

should be at work tonight but theres also a problem with central locking.... locks and unlocks constantly sometimes... killed battery

everyone round here drives piddy little cars that would never jumpstart a beast/shed

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2008, 08:32:39 »

could you describe what this is please? ill check tomorow

should be at work tonight but theres also a problem with central locking.... locks and unlocks constantly sometimes... killed battery

everyone round here drives piddy little cars that would never jumpstart a beast/shed
See tensioner near waterpump? See how its mounted? Its the little damper between tensioner arm and top of engine.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.