Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: auto box is getting random?  (Read 1176 times)

Y26SE

• Spalding
    • 2002 Omega 2.2 DTI saloon
    • View Profile
auto box is getting random?
« on: 24 June 2011, 08:07:27 »

could a previously leaking rocker cover that has poured oil all over the gear box and bell housing cause the auto box to become a bit grumpy with kick down making the engine rev all over the place and rapid juddering coming through the hole car when just feathering the throttle and when cruise is engaged, a bit like wheel balance but it’s not?
No fault codes present on engine or box
Just wondered if the torque converter has got oil on it and its made a mess in their
Vague but i question i need answering
What is this FUEL ECONOMY you speak of, it is alien to me.

Not now i have a dti: Omega ownership without the petrol station bite. JUST GARAGES INSTEAD

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: auto box is getting random?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2011, 08:50:11 »

Any weirdness on the gear selector lights?

Gearbox oil level checked correctly?

Possible misfire?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Y26SE

• Spalding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2011, 12:02:28 »

Any weirdness on the gear selector lights?

Gearbox oil level checked correctly?

Possible misfire?

The light is steady and ill have to get someone to check that for me as i have a broken foot and the engine doesnt feel like a misfire Plus i spent a while chasing down my last misfire to a camshaft sensor. it revs lovely just today i tried to boot it from a roundabout and it juddered like hell, not TC fast juddering but like it was cavitating.

I beleive the box has a total content of 8.5 litres and a pan remove would intale a 4.4 litre of fluid but if i can get someone under my car for me and do a straw test as i would like to know the fluid level and check the colour for burning.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2011, 14:38:44 by v12mcs »

Not now i have a dti: Omega ownership without the petrol station bite. JUST GARAGES INSTEAD

Y26SE

• Spalding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2011, 13:17:13 »

well all is not good ive dropped the fluid and it was black and smelt of bad burning and the magnet catching the stuff was so full it was not able to collect the rest and the filter was chocker so changed that and the transmission is still grumpy and when its cold its fine unless you use full throttle and the trans light come on and as it gets more use the gearbox gets worse and less throttle is required to get the trans mission light on and if kickdown is pressed the car judders like hell and not alot happen except you shake half to death fault codes before the fluid change 1740, 1781, 1890, 0706, 1560 and after the fluid its 1740 I think the box is a bit buggered   

Or maybe related or not to    

Also

now i have a missfire at idle and p0100 code mass air hi not present but it has a new maf inplace a few months ago,   if you gently apply the throttle it will rev up but boot it and you get chuging and popping and it wont rev on the move over 5000 rpm.

at idle and in park it if you gently apply the throttle it will rev up but boot it and you get chuging and popping and if i disconnect the maf the car will rev up fine even when the accelerator is floored but you do get a load of fault codes which i would have expected.

any clues anyone, i believe have multiple faults on the go now  :(

« Last Edit: 11 July 2011, 13:35:26 by v12mcs »

Y26SE

• Spalding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2011, 13:42:08 »

weel the plot thickens and my wife took it for a spin and she tried to overtake a lorry and almost made it crash as the car kicked out a military grade smokescreen from the back of the car and its lost 500ml of oil in 30 miles and there seems to be oil leaked out of the throttle housinr and other pipes connected to the rocker.     i think i might have crankcase breakthrough either a piston ring or possible head gasket but the smoke was very light low down and only at full throttle did i give good cover for any troops in the area so i think it might have pumped it into the inlet via the breather.

opinions anyone   could this breakthrough cause my box to grumble or do i have a knackered box and engine at the same time :(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2011, 15:03:04 »

I think it may be 2 separate issues.

I have the same issues with my autobox, although only when pulling away from stationary.  I am in the process of refurbing an old one with the metal shims ready to swap over with the intent on disecting the old box to find the problem.  I suspect the plastic poc shim that GM used disintergrated and now the internals can no longer hold together (end float related)

There is also a theory that oil leaking from the cam covers affects the crank sensor operation, although this has not yet been proven.

If you are burning oil in the engine at that rate and grey/blue smoke is coming out the back then you have probably goosed an oil ring which means bore damage.  If I were you I would look at a new engine and gearbox from one of the breakers.  If you can get your car to them they can take it out of the donor car whole and put it in yours.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2011, 15:05:54 »

Burning oil could also come from valve stem oil seal or HG (the latter unlikely but I have seen it)

Best thing to do is drop the oil, if it has metal scraping in it you have blown an oil ring.  Then go from there  :y

Y26SE

• Spalding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2011, 20:37:27 »

yeah i love cars i really do it least it came in one go i suppose taking out a gearbox and an engine save time in the long run lol   can this assembly be dropped out on the subframe complete?    i might be able to get a donor car complete same year 2.2 just a saloon instead of an estate and with lower miles just been done in with vandal damage but internals and running gear are all in good working order :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2011, 23:23:10 »

Not sure about the 2.2 but the v6 needs subframe removed.

Y26SE

• Spalding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2011, 08:54:59 »

Well that was an experience. I managed to get a donor car with good engine and box for less than scrap value from a closing down scrappy near Skegness and i pulled the engine and box complete out of the donor gave it a pump and timing belt and drained the gearbox and renewed that with fresh fluid and filter. Removed the old unit no bother and swapped over the selector sensor from the box as the donor box was stuck in winter mode and the led’s were flickering all over. new unit refitted and i managed to crack my windscreen with the bonnet :'( bugger. all in and just threw some water in and used original oil just to run up and make sure all was well and it was. I’ve given it a full oil and new antifreeze change and im now rolling in smooth Desmond once again. just got to get a new windscreen and refill the A/C and i have a full donor car for spare climate, headlights, electric windows ect 8-)

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2011, 10:18:58 »

Wow!! that is a result,well done!!! reminds me of my younger Cav days :y :y :y

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2011, 10:37:06 »

Not sure about the 2.2 but the v6 needs subframe removed.
dont need remove subframe on omega V6
mey someone was think about vectra

Y26SE

• Spalding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2011, 18:47:31 »

great news on the subframe, any good bits to change before fitting the v6 in :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.