Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant temp sensors  (Read 3952 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant temp sensors
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2021, 13:21:15 »

:y and an engine you can actually see without removing covers  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2021, 13:31:22 »

:y and an engine you can actually see without removing covers  :y

Oil, plugs, filters and check valve clearances(they never needed adjusting, so I only did them every other time) in the time it takes to change the plugs on an Omega V6.

As a 2.9, that engine had the aluminium valve covers and rubber gaskets so didn't have the usual oil leaks. It also eliminated the 'knicker elastic' throttle, timing gear, leaded fuel and crap power/fuel economy that were all 2.8 characteristics

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2021, 13:37:47 »

Bit off subject but stuck one of those in a mk3 Transit, best tow vehicle I ever had and ran as quick as a BMW mini on the drag strip!!with all the camping gear still in.
Back to my Austin as making custom dash and lack of £££S I am using Omega instrument cluster, abs and column switches with associated wiring and its working out fine so far . 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2021, 13:42:07 »

Oil, plugs, filters and check valve clearances(they never needed adjusting, so I only did them every other time) in the time it takes to change the plugs on an Omega V6.  .....

try changing the 6 plugs on a Smart Roadster  ;) ;) ;) The Omega is a walk in the park by comparison  :y :y

https://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/roadster/servicing/366-replacing-the-spark-plugs but the rear end has to come off to get to the start of the guide  https://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/roadster/panels/350-brabus-rear-removal  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2021, 13:53:22 »

Great minds think alike  :y

My goal is to strip the Omega loom back to engine & associated sensors/fan/pumps, only the relays needed to drive them and then the feeds out to the dash display & MID. The other quarter tonne of wiring harness goes into the spare parts pile :) That means I can play about with the engine to my heart's content whilst it's sat on a standalone trolley, and still see the tach, CEL, paper clip tester and such like.

You're making this much more complicated than it is.

There's no need to strip anything, just unplug the round engine-loom plug.  Read THIS

You can get the engine running on the floor with 3 or 4 connections, and have it in a fully working car with another three or four.

Trying to use the Omega cluster is more work, and is unlikely to be a pleasing fit in an old dash. More modern rev counters can be driven directly off the ECU, and adjusting a temp gauge to read right isn't hard. Use the car's fuel gauge and sender. Oil pressure gauge are a waste of space, and tend to be mechanical in older cars, so are easy to adapt. Aftermarket electronic speedos are cheap and easy to use. The MID offers nothing of any use to make it worth bothering with.

There is some extra stuff to remove from the engine; binning the EGR and SAI removes a lot of clutter, and losing the vacuum operated HBV for whatever the car uses does a similar job at the back. Removed from its bracket, the DIS pack can be moved to wherever there is space. A new water rail isn't hard to fabricate if there's no room for the  original.
This also works the other way to for swapping an Omega engine for something more interesting.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2021, 14:16:49 »

Bit off subject but stuck one of those in a mk3 Transit, best tow vehicle I ever had and ran as quick as a BMW mini on the drag strip!!with all the camping gear still in.

About 10 years ago, I was collecting some parts from a friend's workshop.
One of his mates arrived in a tidy looking mk3 Transit, and Neil suggested it was worth looking under the bonnet. He was right, a 24v Cosworth that looked like a factory installation was not what I was expecting. Apparently the hardest part of the job was finding V6 Transit engine mounts and MT75 gearbox, then everything bolted in. V6 Transits were special order for Police and Ambulances.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2021, 14:27:57 »

The 24v 2.9 was a retail option on the New Generation Mk4? Smiley face LWB minibus. Which was nice. Ockinghirsepoo rare though...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2021, 14:41:49 »

The 24v 2.9 was a retail option on the New Generation Mk4? Smiley face LWB minibus. Which was nice. Ockinghirsepoo rare though...

There you go. Like I said, the V6 Transit parts were always very difficult to find. Although you can fit the front case of a 4x4 MT75 to a the internals of a 2WD drive four cylinder one to get a V6 gearbox. Transit gearlinkage is very different to car ones.

Engine mounts are easily made; Neil used to build driving V8(any kind of small-block) Granadas after work on Saturdays :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2021, 14:58:05 »

8)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.