Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identification of Bad Leak + Other Bits  (Read 1610 times)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Identification of Bad Leak + Other Bits
« on: 14 March 2007, 09:54:53 »

Hi all,

Once again I need some assistance if possible, got under the car last night after fitting my new cam cover to try and identify the source of my oil leak, found a few bits I need some help identifying the source of this leak with...

Firstly, this photo is under the car facing from the front to the rear - its the autobox I believe, should there be something in this space as it would appear its a hole straight into the box / engine!

Secondly, these 3 photos are of a couple of bits around the oil filter housing - there is A LOT of oil, and its very wet all around - could these bits be leaking?  One looks like a pipe with a union (higher in photo) the other with the silver stuff looks like some kind of sensor..

A few different angles there, anyone got any ideas?  As always, much appreciated!

Cheers in advance,

Chris.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Re: Identification of Bad Leak + Other Bits
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2007, 14:05:51 »

zoom out a bit .... and reduce the exposure time or reduce the light a tad  everything's too shiny and a little shaky to make out exactly what's going on.

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2007, 14:17:43 »

Second photos look like the crank sensor (with the silver stuff on the wire) and the unions where the solid pipes up to the oil cooler connect to the engine block. Could one of these be loose / leaking? Otherwise, is it the oil filter housing?

No idea about the first photo, I'm afraid...

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2007, 14:46:45 »

zoom out a bit .... and reduce the exposure time or reduce the light a tad  everything's too shiny and a little shaky to make out exactly what's going on.

Hmm, Nokia N80 - not sure it has these weird and wonderful features of which you speak..
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2007, 14:47:47 »

Second photos look like the crank sensor (with the silver stuff on the wire) and the unions where the solid pipes up to the oil cooler connect to the engine block. Could one of these be loose / leaking? Otherwise, is it the oil filter housing?

No idea about the first photo, I'm afraid...

Kevin

Cheers Kevin,

Is the crank sensor prone to leaking?

I'll see if I can tighten that union, looks a bit of an arse tho..

I need to get me some ramps..

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2007, 14:50:58 »

The hole I assume is it the base of the engine, it should have a small bung in it as its used to get access to the torque converter bolts for box removal...

The leak might be a loose oil cooler pipe......has it had the cooler changed or plate re-sealed......note, this is another reason why you DONT bend the pipes because it loosens this connection.

Either that or the oil filter housing to block seal is buggered....most likely due to an overtight cap at some point (Vx service history?)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2007, 15:18:32 »

Hi Mark,

Yes you are right, its at the base, so I'll try and source a new bung for that.. hopefully it's not too full of crap already..

As for the other bits, I have no history at all with this car sadly, so couldn't tell you if Vx have ever touched it, from what I've seen when doing other things theres been some serious 'spur jingling' going on in the past.. JamesV6Cdx will surely agree :)

I haven't done the oil cooler, and it certainly looks to me as if its never been touched (at least from the top) will I do any harm by having a go at tighting up the nuts?

If I get some ramps, clean it all off and then start it up I might get to see where its actually running from..

Cheers,

Chris.

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2007, 19:21:55 »

Looks like old stuff since the cam cover change!  Wash it off and try again :y
Do it right, do it once................

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2007, 07:11:18 »

If I get some ramps, clean it all off and then start it up I might get to see where its actually running from..

Cheers,

Chris.

You might struggle with ramps.....the omega is a bit low....the front valence will possibly hit the ramps before the wheels do.....i bought a bottle jack the other day.....and ive got to take that back....its too tall to fit under the car.

A trolley jack isnt really practicle where i live.....so i coped with jack that came with omega.....and an axle stand...50/50 supporting the weight.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2007, 08:40:21 »

Cheers,

Chris.

You might struggle with ramps.....the omega is a bit low....the front valence will possibly hit the ramps before the wheels do.....i bought a bottle jack the other day.....and ive got to take that back....its too tall to fit under the car.

A trolley jack isnt really practicle where i live.....so i coped with jack that came with omega.....and an axle stand...50/50 supporting the weight.

I know what you're saying TD - I was thinking about making some mods too them too decrease the angle, but keep the height - not sure how yet...

My drive has a big uphill as it meets my garage, so theres a chance it will roll straight up some ramps of this, but we'll see...

cheers,

chris.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2007, 09:55:29 »

I use the jack that came with the car to lift it up and then put an axle stand under it, repeat on the other side. I wouldn't trust any jack while under the car. If I want it higher I use the bottle jack once it's on axle stands and then rise the axle stands.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2007, 13:09:39 »

When using ramps I have 2 offcuts of 7" x 2" floor joist, about 2' long. A short piece of 1x1 nailed across one end hooks over the second rung on the ramps.

This reduces the initial slope enough to clear the spoiler lip and also stops the ramps trying to slide away when raising the front.

If you are looking to buy some ramps then go for the widest you can find, most are too narrow for Omega sized tyres and can cut into the tyre shoulder.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2007, 14:43:56 »

When using ramps I have 2 offcuts of 7" x 2" floor joist, about 2' long. A short piece of 1x1 nailed across one end hooks over the second rung on the ramps.

This reduces the initial slope enough to clear the spoiler lip and also stops the ramps trying to slide away when raising the front.

If you are looking to buy some ramps then go for the widest you can find, most are too narrow for Omega sized tyres and can cut into the tyre shoulder.

Where'd you get yours from?

Thats the kind of mod I was thinking of...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.