Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Renault Laguna Advice needed, father POSSIBLY buying one tomorrow  (Read 3767 times)

Wayne

Hi Guys

my father is going to look at a Silver 2003 plate Renault Laguna tomorrow for £1995, he hasn't told me if its a 1.9 or 2.2 diesel, its done 30,000 miles only, 1 owner (an elderly couple) i think it has service history with it

my questions are

1: what to look for when buying a Laguna

2: which is the better car, the 1.9 or 2.2 Diesel?

any advice would be great as were going for a test drive tomorrow at 11am

Regards

Wayne

feeutfo

If a car has any connection at all with France, don't buy it.

Or take It for free for that matter.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

Check every thing electrical works and that there are no warning lamps on,with that milage running gear should be fine :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

albitz

Buy a 1970,s Skoda.It will give a lot less trouble. :y :D

Martian

It's French, so the electrics WILL f**k up at some point.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile

Brother had one from new. It was 120bhp diesel can't remember engine size. There was a massive recall which led to the turbo and associated gubbins being replaced under warranty. Check it's been carried as the bits cost over 1600 quid. Tyre pressure sensor if fitted will go wrong. Six speed gearbox was dead after 75k miles. Not driven hard either. If the diesel injectors go wrong it's a major job and loads of money. Xenon headlights go wrong. When going it was lovely. Nice drive loads of toys and very very comfy. My Bro always said he would have another one but only if he could ditch it every 3 years. For relatively small engine diesel it wasn't that good on fuel. If it was me and I was looking to buy a car for that money and age it would have to be a Passat or Skoda diesel. Find a nice 130bhp one which has full service history and it will go on for ever.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile

If a car has any connection at all with France, don't buy it.

Or take It for free for that matter.
Nothing more to say, all data in post above
I would rather push omega than drive renault

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

Beware of both the diesel engine variants, they dont take to Renault service intervals well and can lunch themselves before 100K if the oil is not attended to at more sensible intervals.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

It's French, so the electrics WILL f**k up at some point.

Along with any other component made of swiss cheese instead of a suitable grade of steel that will require half the car to be dismantled to change it.  Been there, got the t-shirt several times.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile

Having owed two Renaults, a Laguna and a clit, I would never, ever buy a Renault again.
I like red cars

cem_devecioglu

Re: Renault Laguna Advice needed, father POSSIBLY buying one tomorrow
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2012, 09:13:48 »

my friend had a auto petrol one (2003) .. had no probs.. he was only scared of auto..

diesels may be different tough.. if oil changes neglected may bring expensive repairs as usual..

"On diesels, blocked crankcase gas 'EGR' valves are leading to high engine temperatures and turbo and intercooler failures. "

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/renault/laguna-ii-2001/?section=bad

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2012, 09:17:08 »

my friend had a auto petrol one (2003) .. had no probs.. he was only scared of auto..

diesels may be different tough.. if oil changes neglected may bring expensive repairs as usual..

"On diesels, blocked crankcase gas 'EGR' valves are leading to high engine temperatures and turbo and intercooler failures. "

Lets just say that the Renault varaiant vans (which include the Vx ones) often struggle to see 80k miles....

The Renault auto boxes are bloody awful and should be avoided in the larger engined cars such as the V6

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2012, 09:19:45 »

and as for clit's.. mine was highly neglected.. despite that , it didnt require anything other than normal wear tear items .. only exception , it required a new idle valve and an alternator with an extra feed cable to battery..  and its year 2000 :) :y  and it avgs 7, 7.5 l/100 km (max 8 in -10 celcius) with my running from hell driving style  ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2012, 09:20:51 »

Lets just say that the Renault varaiant vans (which include the Vx ones) often struggle to see 80k miles....

The Renault auto boxes are bloody awful and should be avoided in the larger engined cars such as the V6

agreed.. and auto should be avoided in all cars ;D :y

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2012, 09:29:49 »

Can't say anything about running/engine side but from a mot side check the track rod ends and rear axle/subframe bushes as these seem to be common fails.

VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.