Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Right peeps, how far do you think  (Read 3262 times)

mantahatch

Re: Right peeps, how far do you think
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2012, 08:17:52 »

IIRC you could tow start older Autos :-\ heard horror stories about it though... MK2 Granadas have alot of momentum at 30 mph, enough to write off whatever car is doing the towing when it finally fires :-X

47 miles is further than I thought  :y

I have heard this aswell, in fact I believe my father has done it, allways wanted to get an old auto and give it a go. Anyone else ever done it ?

Sorry for change of subject.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2012, 08:32:16 »

used to be reasonably common,on things like triumph 2litre,rover sdi.just about any yank car that was auto, and cable select,also did it a few times on mrs omegatoys bmw 325, it never harmed it,
you get it up to speed by towing in neutral,then select drive, it bump starts the car, no problem,however with the newer electronic boxes,not sure it would work? as engine has to run to enable selector switch i think?

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2012, 21:02:40 »

I didn't realise you could tow start an auto, though I may be thinking that you can not 'bump' start, I guess the clue to that is getting it up to a good speed...... :D :D :D

Anyway, the car is back from my local Independent with a new alternator fitted and a lot of scratches on his arm, seems they are a bit awkward on a V6.... ::) ::) ::)

We did get some positive comments on the car and how 'sweet' the engine is..... :y :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2012, 21:08:53 »

Should have the mirror to fit in a day or so Mike :)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2012, 22:34:35 »

Cheers Rob, I put a replacement temporary one on, but how are you supposed to get at the 3 screws? I undid 2 trim screws and peeled it back a bit and with a small ratchet and Phillips head managed to squeeze in there, is there something I have missed? :-\ :-\

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2012, 22:39:05 »

Just a thought. Its lack of electrical energy causing the problem. Well connect a tow rope, and an electrical feed from the towing vehicle to the one being towed. if you use the cigar socket its fused at 10A (?) so you won't overload the towing vehicle, and 5-6 amps should be enough to run the sparks for the towed car. Provided you don't use lights or wipers, only essential stuff you should make it.

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2012, 22:59:43 »

Just a thought. Its lack of electrical energy causing the problem. Well connect a tow rope, and an electrical feed from the towing vehicle to the one being towed. if you use the cigar socket its fused at 10A (?) so you won't overload the towing vehicle, and 5-6 amps should be enough to run the sparks for the towed car. Provided you don't use lights or wipers, only essential stuff you should make it.

Ken

Interesting idea, thank you, but car back home and fixed now..... :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2012, 23:04:23 »

Ken

sounds good in theory .. but ....

If you have "sparks" .. the engine is running . so why tow it ...  ?  :)  :)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2012, 23:34:11 »

Cheers Rob, I put a replacement temporary one on, but how are you supposed to get at the 3 screws? I undid 2 trim screws and peeled it back a bit and with a small ratchet and Phillips head managed to squeeze in there, is there something I have missed? :-\ :-\
As said, remove the top two doorcard screws hinge side, prise off the triangular cover above card, 2 screws to remove and the lower 3rd one I`ve found easy with a cranked screwdriver
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2012, 23:45:03 »

As said, remove the top two doorcard screws hinge side, prise off the triangular cover above card, 2 screws to remove and the lower 3rd one I`ve found easy with a cranked screwdriver

Thanks Rob, so I did it right... :D :D  As long as you have a 90 degree screwdriver then the job is a good one, quite simple really.... :y  Just as well as we have gone through a few glasses, this one was a hard hit as it sent the lot over the road and left a mark on the wing, no way was the driver doing 30mph or concentrating..... >:( >:( >:(
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.