Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Battlebus for 4 adults & 2 babies?  (Read 3226 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Which Battlebus for 4 adults & 2 babies?
« on: 25 August 2014, 14:25:55 »

Since my stepdaughter gave birth last Christmas she has been talking about getting a cheap Seat Alhambra. Following another arrival 3 weeks ago  :) we now have to take 2 cars everywhere.

The discussions about Zaffys and Orlandos are interesting but I think I need to be looking at one of the larger MPVs if we are all going to fit in one vehicle (along with 2 pushchairs and all the other stuff that seems to be essential for a modern child).

What experiences do people have of the Alhambra (or VW Sharan / Ford Galaxy)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

The Sheriff

« Last Edit: 25 August 2014, 14:46:18 by STMO »

05omegav6

Re: Which Battlebus for 4 adults & 2 babies?
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2014, 14:53:27 »

That is quite an unfortunately positioned photo ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2014, 15:04:33 »

Mrs VXL runs a 2003/4 Seat Alhambara 1.9 TDi 130 SE. Really likes it as well.

The PD 1.9 units are pretty robust and the 130 fitted to hers does propel it along very well considering the size and weight of vehicle. It's far quicker than the Omega 2.2DTi estate she had previously and the SE suspension is a little lower and stiffer so it handles relatively well.

Much bigger than Zafira's etc but you do have to remove the seats if you want to use it in 'van' mode as they don't fold into the floor and they are cumbersome and heavy to get out and store.

Build quality is very VW, trim pretty robust but door handles suffer the same fate as facelift Omega ones and the catches on the seats (to fold them flat) tend to loose their plastic cap. The N/S light cluster on the tailgate seems to warp and fill with water which in turn blows fuses that control other items - I just sealed ours up with some silicone sealant.

If you look at a 130 (or any one with a six speed box) do check the box is tight and all gears can be selected easily. Note that the tyres on these have to be Extra Load / Reinforced due to the weight carrying ability. The spare wheel (full size but steel rather than alloy) is held in place by a pulley system which feels very fragile, I slapped a load of grease on the steel cable in the hope that it keeps it corrosion at bay.

Overall we really like it, it tends to spend most of the time in five seat mode with a dog cage in the boot area and still has space for shopping. You can rearrange the centre row of seats by taking the middle one out and moving the outer ones in. I find the seats quite hard but this is probably more to do with the design of them being an SE model.

I notice a lot of MPV's seem to run winter tyres so I presume being front wheel drive and having a higher centre of gravity they are probably a bit more of a handful in snow than a car.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2014, 15:04:59 »

My Dad uses a Kia Sedona for work (often folk's last but one journey  ::)) Only draw back with the seating is that, unlike a Zafira, the seats don't fold down into the floor, you have to remove them and so you need somewhere to stow them when not in use. Loads of room in the back though ..... his even has DVD players for the middle row occupants.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2014, 15:12:24 »

My Dad uses a Kia Sedona for work (often folk's last but one journey  ::)) Only draw back with the seating is that, unlike a Zafira, the seats don't fold down into the floor, you have to remove them and so you need somewhere to stow them when not in use. Loads of room in the back though ..... his even has DVD players for the middle row occupants.
Not very robust though, and parts are stupidly expensive (given how cheaply made they are) :-\
Oh, and not very economical either...

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2014, 16:34:50 »

Here do...

Perfect, cheap 6 seat mumsy bus with sensible, easy access doors and a stupidly big boot  :y
Interesting.

Anything in the back would be out of sight when parked and it would probably be quite good for the holiday trips we are hoping to make. I wouldn't be allowed into most council tips/recycling centres (not sure about our nearest) and there is no denying that 'it looks like a van'  ;D

I wonder what the seats are like for long journeys? (most of hours are around 5 hours / 250 miles)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2014, 16:38:45 »

The original Alhambra is the same in that you have to lift heavy seats out and store them somewhere, the upside is that folded seats are not taking up space under the floor so you do have a 'van with windows' when the seats are out.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2014, 16:41:30 »

Not very robust though, and parts are stupidly expensive (given how cheaply made they are) :-\

Point taken, but he's not had any serious problems with his.

Oh, and not very economical either...

Cheaper to run than a V6 Granada  :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.